A brief and indispensable walk-through to fix the QuickBooks error code 7149
Recent years have seen an unprecedented reliance of small and medium-sized businesses on QuickBooks desktop, a composite accounting software designed by Intuit. This software is known for handling finances seamlessly. QuickBooks has some really powerful features which enable business operations easier and in a limited time frame. From financial tracking to inventory management to report generation this software helps businesses with everything.
QuickBooks users do reap its innumerable benefits but at times they become victims of various technical issues like the QuickBooks POS error code 7149. The system generally crashes, and this error message pops up on the screen:
|Warning||“QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”|
Sometimes, your computer may also freeze for a few seconds. This problem needs immediate attention but before proceeding ahead with the methods for fixing it, let us understand what causes it. Meanwhile, if you find a need of technical guidance from our certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors, you may call us at the helpline at 1-800-761-1787.
What causes contribute to the QuickBooks error 7149?
- Incomplete or corrupt installation: At times, the installation process doesn’t get completed or gets damaged. This prevents the computer from copying the files that are important to run the QuickBooks desktop software.
- Corruption in Windows Registry: The recent installation or modifications caused corruption in the Windows Registry, thereby leading to this error.
- Virus infecting the computer: Virus threats can be another potential cause of the QuickBooks error code 7149.
- Other issues: Few of the antivirus software cause hanging of the system or can affect the working of QuickBooks. In that case, the antivirus or firewall needs to be disabled.
- System: Each computer system is built differently and at times, some local issues can cause the error.
Sneak peek into the Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error code 7149
You can land into the QuickBooks error code 7149 under certain circumstances. These can be identified by taking note of the following signs and symptoms. Let us check them out one by one:
- The error message itself flashes on the screen.
- If an active application experiences frequent crashes, it is probable that you might end up with this error.
- Another sign can be if the Windows runs slowly.
- Your software freezes repeatedly.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 83 – A Company File Error?
Apt Solutions To Fix QuickBooks Error Code 7149
This section unravels all the effective avenues of uprooting the QuickBooks Error code 7149 from your system, once and for all. Make sure that you sail across this section very carefully and implement the steps in the same sequence as have been entailed in this section.
Solution 1: Repair or Reinstall QuickBooks
You have to open the Control panel of your computer and then click on Add or Remove Programs. The same can be searched in the Start Menu.
- Find QuickBooks and then hover your cursor on it and right-click on it.
- Now, hit on Repair and then Follow the instructions that come up on the screen.
- Hit a click on the Uninstall tab to Uninstall the QuickBooks desktop.
- Upon completion of the process, reboot your PC and reinstall the software.
- Once done, restart your system and open the QuickBooks software to inspect if the Error code 7149 got ousted.
Solution 2: Repairing Windows Registry Key Files
Errors or corruption caused in the registry files directly instigate the QuickBooks error message 7149. Such errors can be easily repaired through the registry editor. Adhere to the steps below to rectify such issues.
It is suggested that you seek professional help for this, as trying it without technical knowledge can be quite risky.
- Initially, you should hit on the Start button and then opt for opening the Run window. The same is also accessible by hitting simultaneously on the Win + R keyboard keys.
- When the Run box appears on the screen, type Regedit into the search bar, followed by hitting on the Enter key. This action shall open the Registry Editor Window.
- Now you must look through the installed programs and remove their corresponding keys. There is a strong possibility that one of these keys is contributing to the QuickBooks error 7149.
- You should hit on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Follow it up by hitting on Software.
- Herein, you are required to Find and Delete the keys related to the names of the already uninstalled apps.
- The duplicate keys for the programs that have been uninstalled need to be essentially deleted. The easy steps are as follows:
- Hit on the Ctrl and F keys together to reveal the Find box.
- Type the application’s name within the Find box, followed by hitting on the Enter key. A key will be highlighted if it matches the text being searched.
- At this stage, your need to Delete this key.
- You can use the F3 keyboard key to switch between alternatives and subsequently Delete them.
- Besides these keys, you are also required to remove any unwanted startup components. For doing this, the steps to carry out are as follows:
- Within the Registry Editor, you need to navigate to This P.C. (or My Computer) > HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version.
- Upon hitting on Run, a list of the executable files used during the startup will show up.
- Remove the apps as per your preference and requirement, depending on their precedence in the startup menu.
- After performing the operation mentioned above, you now need to perform the same procedure with the paths provided as follows:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
- Although this procedure is quite tedious, we have attempted to draft it in the form of easy-to-implement steps. Having applied all the steps above, restart the QuickBooks software to check if the error got fixed.
Solution 3: Remove Malware
With the help of your antivirus software, run a complete scan of your computer to check if there are any viruses or any potential threats that are causing the QuickBooks error code 7149. Once detected by the antivirus all the viruses will be immediately removed. Once done restart your computer and see if it is fixed or not.
Solution 4: Disable antivirus for some time
In case you find out that it is your antivirus that is preventing QuickBooks from working then disable it for some time. Once it is done QuickBooks will be able to open normally. You can reboot your system as well and then run in safe mode. Open it and update it also.
- You need to look for the Antivirus icon in the taskbar.
- After that hit a Right-click on the same.
- Once you see the options on the screen, look for the Disable tab and hit the same.
- Later on, try opening QuickBooks after disabling it.
- You might require to Start the system in safe mode, and then open the software and update it.
Solution 5: Close any conflicting programs
One or more third-party programs running in the background may be in conflict with QuickBooks processes. As such, you should end tasks and processes related to such conflicting programs, the steps for which are given as under:
- Herein, you need to open the Task manager by hitting on the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys.
- This will let you see the List of programs running.
- Head to the Processes tab and stop the programs one by one by highlighting each of the programs and also clicking on the End process tab.
- Moving ahead, look carefully at the message, when it occurs at the time of stopping a process.
- After you are able to spot which process is causing the snag, then you can perform the steps for reinstalling the application.
Solution 6: Go for Disc Cleanup
A low amount of free space on your PC could potentially be instigating the QuickBooks error code 7149. In this context, clearing up space on your hard disk is a good idea. You may use Disk Cleanup to clean up your primary directory. Follow the steps below:
- Access the Windows Explorer by hitting Win + E keys buttons.
- Right-click on the C drive and head to Properties.
- Hit on the Disk Cleanup tab to commence the clean-up process.
See it also: How to Fix Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
Fixing the QuickBooks error code 7149 is not much of a humongous problem. But if you are having trouble or have some query related to it, then you can seek assistance from the QuickBooks error support team. Our accounting professionals are highly trained, have years of expertise in the field, and are equipped with latest edge-cutting tools. The best part is that they are available 24/7 to you out.
Similar helpful articles: