QuickBooks error 1706 is basically a point of sale error. QuickBooks point of sale is a trustworthy inventory and billing management solution. The QuickBooks error 1706 can be seen due to several causes and demands for immediate remediation. However, this error is termed as an installation error, which can be seen due to operating system issues, components similar to POS error 1304 and error code 1642 at the time of initializing or installing .net patches mandatory for better functioning of the software. Simply explained, this error is seen when users makes an attempt for installation from a removable media, such as, a CD or DVD.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
Error: 1706 No valid source could be found when opening Point of Sale
If you are also facing QuickBooks POS error code 1706, then today’s article can be of great help to you. In this article, we will be talking about the this error, its causes, and quick fixes. Moreover, if you need any help from the experts then connect with us through our helpline 1-800-761-1787, our professionals will help you out in resolving the issue without any further mess.
Causes of QuickBooks Point of sale error 1706
QuickBooks error code 1706 can be usually seen due to a couple of factors, a few of which are listed below:
- Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 that is installed on the system that too in a beta version or the Microsoft .Net framework version installed on the system is not compatible, not properly installed, or is incompletely installed.
- The files are over fragmented.
- The source such as CD, DVD or Install Shield from which QB point of sale has been installed is damaged or corrupted, so important POS components could not be installed.
- There might be an issue related to windows registry.
- In case there are too many applications that start during the windows startup.
You may also like: Fix Common QuickBooks Desktop Update Errors
Solutions to QuickBooks POS Installation Error 1706
There can be various methods that can be used to fix the QuickBooks error code 1706. We will be discussing each of them one by one:
Method 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to the latest release
- You need to simply navigate to the downloads and update web page drop down menu.
- Furthermore, choose QB point of sale as the product in the product drop down menu.
- You now have to choose the edition and select the version or year.
- You also have to click on search tab.
- Click on the link with the name get the latest updates.
- You also have to save the file.
- The last step is to update the QuickBooks POS software and reboot your POS system.
After the system is back up, you need to open the QuickBooks POS and then check for the error.
Method 2: Reinstalling QuickBooks desktop point of sale again
Installation steps for QuickBooks point of sale:
- The very first step is to download QuickBooks point of sale.
- After that double click the POS executable file and also, overwrite the existing extracted files, in case it is prompted at the time through the installation process.
- Next, choose all positive options on the installation wizard.
- After that type in QuickBooks license number and product number without spaces and dashes as it not permitted.
- You are then required to choose the mode in which you are going to install and use QuickBooks point of sale.
- Choose the single user, in case you use the QuickBooks POS on a standalone system.
- Also choose multi-user mode in QuickBooks POS for more than two computers. You need to be careful about selecting the system type server or workstation on which POS software is being installed.
In case of incorrect selection of workstation type, then uninstall and then re-install again, as you cannot modify the installation type. Moreover, you can check by going back and forth to ensure about the selection for QuickBooks POS installation.
- The final step is to reboot the system after the POS installation to open and activate QuickBooks POS.
Read this Also: What is QuickBooks Error code 6000?
Method 3: Downloading the Microsoft Fixit tool or system file checker tool
- Herein, you need to download the system file checker tool and install it by selecting the scan now option.
- You are supposed to click on the start tab.
- Type command prompt in search bar.
- You now have to right click on command prompt.
- Go for run as admin option. If needed enter the admin password.
- Just in case your system is using Windows 10, 8.1, 8 operating system, then you would have to run the DISM tool before running the system file checker tool.
- You now have to type SFC/Scannow in the command prompt window.
- Also, hit enter tab.
- The system file checker tool will scan and repair the corrupted system files.
- The command prompt window shouldn’t be closed till the verification process is complete fully.
- Also, check if the issue is fixed.
- This will surely repair the windows operating system files comprising of Microsoft .NET framework
QuickBooks Desktop Point of sale (POS) Activation steps?
You need QuickBooks point of sale activation every time you installs QuickBooks POS to open or create company files. As soon as you opens QuickBooks point of sale, you will see an online registration form with boxes, wherein you are having to punch in the last 4 digits of the business phone number that you have used while purchasing QuickBooks point of sale and zip code of business address and then click on continue. In case you see only the validation code appearing during the product registration process depicts that POS did not receive an active internet connection. If such a situation arises, the online registration form doesn’t come up and only the validation code came up.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code C=224?
This brings us towards the end of this post, where we hope that the information shared in above might have helped you in resolving the QuickBooks POS error 1706. In case you continue to face the same issue even after carrying out the steps above, then in that case, we recommend you to contact our QuickBooks support team by dialing 1-800-761-1787. We are a hub of tech savvy accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services to all the users.