Get the latest steps to resolve Error -6177,0 while opening QuickBooks Desktop
Encountered QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 and don’t know how to tackle with it? Well, need not to anymore, as we have come up with this segment, where we are going to tell you the causes, as well as the quick fixes for this error. This sort of error is usually seen when you try to open the QuickBooks or a company file. This error basically indicates that your QuickBooks software is unable to follow the path for opening the company file. In the recent time, many QuickBooks users have reported this error, especially while they use multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
In certain cases, this error might require rebooting the system and updating the software to the latest version. However, in case you are also facing the same situation, then make sure to read this article till the end.
You may also like: Steps to Install QuickBooks database server manager
What is QuickBooks error 6177,0?
Well, before digging in deep and finding out causes and fixes to this error, it is better to understand what this error is all about. The QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 is generally seen or pop-ups, when you try to open the company file. This error comes up on the screen with an error message stating:
“QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file. Before you can open the company file from your computer you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0)” .
You might also encounter this error, if the company file is located on a server system and you are trying to access the file locally. Various other reason can lead to the occurrence of such error.
Possible factors causing the QuickBooks error 6177, 0
QuickBooks Error 6177, 0 generally affects the payroll distribution and accounting process. Whereas, there can be a few possible causes behind the occurrence of such error. Let us check out those causes one by one:
- Any kind of Trojan attack.
- In case the file path of the file itself is corrupted.
- If you removed QuickBooks related system support file unintentionally.
- Another reason behind the occurrence of such error can be, when the company file is moved from one system to another.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6177, 0 (A Comprehensive Guide)
Below we have provided some of the updated methods to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177.
Method 1: Update the file location
In case the company file is present on the server or on an external hard drive, you might require to change its location. The steps below can be carried out to change location of the company file:
Step 1: Moving the company file
It should be noted that, the step below can be only carried out on the server system. In case you are not having the access to the server system, then you can carry out the below steps on one of the workstations as well.
- Open the Windows Start menu on either the server system or workstation.
- Type in File explorer in the search bar and open the same.
- Spot and open the QuickBooks folder. Or press F2 key.
- Look for the company file that ends with QBW or .qbw.
- Once done with that, write down the drives name and location. You will be required to put the file back here later on.
- To end process, you are required to move the company file from the folder to the C: drive and then move the file avoiding the entire folder.
Related article: How to Resolve QuickBooks error code 6010, 100?
Step 2: Creating portable company file and restoring it to the server
Now, the company file is on the local drive, and it’s time to create a portable company file:
- Open QuickBooks desktop on the system having the company file.
- Select the open or restore an existing company option.
- Browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive.
- Create a portable company file.
- Once done with that, choose the File menu and select close QuickBooks company option. Followed by, reopening QuickBooks.
- Move to the file menu and select open or restore company.
- Now, select the restore a portable file and hit next.
- Find about the portable file that was created earlier and open the same, followed by hitting next.
- Select the drive the user originally moved the company files from, in order to restore location.
- Hit save and keep the company file back on the network.
- End the process here and select file menu, followed by selecting quit QuickBooks option.
Method 2: Download QuickBooks file doctor tool
In case the error persists, you can download and run QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website. This process would not involve any additional charges, and the QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed and developed in a way to diagnose and fix the error automatically.
Method 3: Update QuickBooks desktop
It is very essential for you to update the QuickBooks desktop to the latest version, as it maintains the compatibility of the software with the operating system. This also ensures that no new bugs hinder the smooth working process. Each new version of QuickBooks roles in with some great features and also fixes to the underlying bugs. Thus, it is very important and highly recommended to update QB desktop on a timely basis.
You may also see: How to Convert Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop?
Method 4: Move the company file to local hard drive
- Move the company file from the server to C drive.
- Open the company file in QuickBooks.
- Followed by, making a portable file and saving it to the local C drive.
- Now, close the company file.
- And restore the portable file from the C drive and then save it to the server.
- Towards the end of the process, collect the company file and try to open it from the server.
Method 5: Fix the file path manually
This process is then divided into two steps and a few sub steps. Let us have a look:
Step 1: Finding .ND file
- To begin with, open the file explorer on the server system and look for the QuickBooks folder.
- Now, file with company name and .nd at the end. (For ex: [MyCompanyFileName].qbw.nd.)
- Lastly, right click the ND file and hit delete option. The point to be noted here is that this particular step won’t affect the accounting data.
Step 2: Configuring QuickBooks database server manager
- In case you have not downloaded and installed QuickBooks database server manager, then make sure to do it now.
- After that, open Windows start menu on the server system and type database into the search bar. Also, open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now choose the QuickBooks folder having the company file.
- Once done with that, choose the start scan option.
- Followed by, opt for the close option after the scanning process complete.
- Final step is to give the folder permissions to share the company files.
Condition 2: If you are having full version of QuickBooks on the server
If you are having the full version QuickBooks desktop installed on the server, the methods below can be opted.
Method 1: Reset multi-user hosting
- First of all, open your QuickBooks desktop on your server computer.
- After that choose the File menu and navigate to the Utilities option.
- Choose Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Now select the File menu and choose close company option. This will reset your all hosting settings.
- Next, open again your QuickBooks desktop, but this time you should not open your company file.
- After that choose the File menu and go to the Utilities tab.
- Now choose the Host Multi-User Access and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Finally choose the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks.
Method 2: Moving the company file to the server’s local hard drive
- First of all, start windows start menu and also in the search bar type in file explorer.
- After that, start QuickBooks and then press F2 key.
- Also, navigate to the company file having the .qbw extension.
- Now make a note of the drive name and location.
- Followed by moving the company file from the folder to the server’s C drive.
Method 3: Creating a portable company file
- Start QuickBooks and then select the open or restore an existing company.
- Open the company file.
- Followed by creating a portable file and also select the file menu.
- And the last step is to choose Quit QuickBooks.
Method 4: Creating a new folder for QuickBooks desktop
Another method is to create a new folder for QuickBooks desktop. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Open file explorer and look for QuickBooks folder.
- Create a new folder on the local C: drive.
- And lastly, copy everything into it and move to the next step.
Method 5: Reopening QuickBooks desktop
- Open your QuickBooks desktop.
- Followed by selecting open or restore an existing company instead of selecting a company from the list.
- After that choose open a company file and hit next option.
- The final step is to open portable company file move to the new folder.
With this, come to the end of this article, where we have tried to provide the best possible 4 DIY methods to resolve QuickBooks error 6177, 0. However, in case of any query or if the error continues to trouble you, connect with our U.S. based accounting professionals using our dedicated helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and discuss the issue with our QuickBooks enterprise technical help team directly.
We are a hub of certified accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance for all sorts of QuickBooks errors.
Other helpful articles: