Get the latest steps to resolve Error -6177, 0 while opening QuickBooks Desktop:
Have you encountered QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 and aren’t sure how to deal with it? Well, we have a solution for you. You should not need to worry anymore as we have come up with this article, where we are going to tell you the causes as well as the quick fixes for this problem. This error is usually seen when you attempt to open the QuickBooks or a company file. This error basically indicates that your QuickBooks software is unable to follow the path to open the company file. In the recent time, many users have reported this error, particularly while they are using multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
In certain cases, this error may require that the system be rebooted and the software updated to the most recent version. However, in case you find yourself on the same situation, kindly go through the following article till the end.
What is QuickBooks error 6177, 0?
Well, before digging in deep and finding out causes and fixes to this error, it is better to understand what this error is all about. The QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 is generally seen or pop-ups, when you try to open the company file. This error comes up on the screen with an error message stating:
|Error Message:||QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file. Before you can open the company file from your computer you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0).|
|Error 6177,0:||We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.|
You might also encounter this error, if the company file is located on a server system and you are trying to access the file locally. Various other reason can lead to the occurrence of this error.
Possible factors causing the QuickBooks error 6177, 0
QuickBooks Error 6177, 0 generally affects the payroll distribution and accounting process. Whereas, there can be a few possible causes behind the occurrence of this issue. Let us check out those causes one by one:
- Any kind of Trojan attack
- In case the file path of the file itself is corrupted
- If you removed QuickBooks related system support file unintentionally.
- Another reason behind the occurrence of Error message 6177,0 can be, when the company file is moved from one system to another.
You may also like: How to fix QuickBooks error C=184?
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6177, 0 (A Comprehensive Guide)
Below we have provided some of the updated methods to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177.
Condition 1: If you are having full version of QuickBooks on the server
Method 1: Update the file location
In case the company file is present on the server or on an external hard drive, you might require to change its location. The steps below can be carried out to change location of the company file:
Step 1: Moving the company file
It should be noted that, the step below can be only carried out on the server system. In case you are not having the access to the server system, then you can carry out the below steps on one of the workstations as well.
- Open the Windows Start menu on either the server system or workstation.
- Type in File explorer in the search bar and open the same.
- Spot and open the QuickBooks folder. Or press F2 key.
- Look for the company file that ends with QBW or .qbw.
- Once done with that, write down the drives name and location. You will be required to put the file back here later on.
- To end process, you are required to move the company file from the folder to the C: drive and then move the file avoiding the entire folder.
Step 2: Creating portable company file and restoring it to the server
Now, the company file is on the local drive, and it’s time to create a portable company file:
- Open QuickBooks desktop on the system having the company file.
- Select the Open or Restore an existing company option.
- Browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive.
- Now create a Portable company file.
- Once done with that, choose the File menu and select Close QuickBooks company option. Followed by, reopening QuickBooks.
- Move to the File menu and select the Open or restore company option.
- After then select the Restore a Portable file and hit Next.
- Find about the Portable file that was created earlier and open the same, followed by hitting Next tab.
- Select the Drive the user originally moved the company files from, in order to Restore location.
- Now hit a click on Save and keep the company file back on the network.
- End the process here and select File menu, followed by selecting Quit QuickBooks option.
Method 2: Run QuickBooks file doctor tool using tool hub program
In case the error persists, you can perform the following steps given below.
- At first, you need to download the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub (220.127.116.11) and save the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file on your system.
- After that follow the instructions on the screen to install the T&C of the software.
- Then, double-click the icon appearing in your Windows desktop after the installation to open the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Now select the Company File issues from the tool hub.
- And select Run QuickBooks File Doctor. The file doctor may take up to one minute to open.
- Now select your company file from drop-down menu in File Doctor. To locate your file, click Browse to search.
- Select Check your file and then Proceed.
- Enter your password for QuickBooks admin and select Next tab.
Note: File doctor may take up-to 5 minutes to diagnose your file. Also, this process would not involve any additional charges, and the QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed and developed in a way to diagnose and fix the error automatically.
Related article: QuickBooks Error Code 6010 100 – How to Fix, Resolve It?
Method 3: Update QuickBooks desktop
It is very essential for you to update the QuickBooks desktop to the latest version, as it maintains the compatibility of the software with the operating system. This also ensures that no new bugs hinder the smooth working process. Each new version of QuickBooks roles in with some great features and also fixes to the underlying bugs. Thus, it is very important and highly recommended to update QuickBooks desktop on a timely basis.
Method 4: Move the company file to local hard drive
- Move the company file from the server to C drive.
- Open the company file in QuickBooks.
- Followed by, making a Portable file and saving it to the local C drive.
- Now, close the company file.
- And Restore the portable file from the C: drive and then save it to the server.
- Towards the end of the process, collect the company file and try to open it from the server.
You may also see: Steps to Convert Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop Or Online
Method 5: Fix the file path manually
This process is then divided into two steps and a few sub steps. Let us have a look:
Step 1: Finding .ND file
- To begin with, open the File explorer on the server system and look for the QuickBooks folder.
- Now, file with company name and .nd at the end. (For ex: [MyCompanyFileName].qbw.nd.)
- Right click the ND file and hit Delete option. The point to be noted here is that this particular step won’t affect the accounting data.
Step 2: Configuring QuickBooks database server manager
- In case you have not downloaded and installed QuickBooks database server manager, then make sure to do it now.
- Open Windows start menu on the server system and type Database into the search bar. Also, open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now choose the QuickBooks folder having the company file.
- Once done with that, choose the Start scan option.
- Followed by, opt for the Close option after the scanning process complete.
- Final step is to give the Folder permissions to share the company files.
Condition 2: If users are having a full version of QuickBooks desktop on the server
If you are having the full version QuickBooks desktop installed on the server, the methods below can be opted.
Method 1: Moving the company file to the server’s local hard drive
- Start Windows start menu and also in the search bar type in file explorer.
- Open QuickBooks and then press F2 key.
- Navigate to the company file having the .qbw extension
- Now make a note of the drive name and location.
- Followed by moving the company file from the folder to the server’s C drive.
Method 2: Reopening QuickBooks desktop
- Open your QuickBooks desktop.
- Followed by selecting Open or restore an existing company instead of selecting a company from the list.
- Choose Open a company file and hit Next option.
- The final step is to Open portable company file move to the new folder.
Method 3: Creating a portable company file
- Start QuickBooks and then select the Open or Restore an existing company.
- Open the company file.
- Followed by Creating a portable file and also select the File menu.
- Last step is to choose Quit QuickBooks.
Method 4: Creating a new folder for QuickBooks desktop
Another method is to create a new folder for QuickBooks desktop. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Open File explorer and look for QuickBooks folder.
- Create a new folder on the local C: drive.
- And lastly, copy everything into it and move to the Next step.
Method 5: Reset multi-user hosting
- Open your QuickBooks desktop on your server computer.
- Select the File menu and navigate to the Utilities option.
- Choose Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Go for the File menu and choose Close company option. This will reset your all hosting settings.
- Next, open again your QuickBooks desktop, but this time you should not open your company file.
- Choose the File menu and go to the Utilities tab.
- Select the Host Multi-User Access and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Finally choose the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks.
With this, come to the conclude this article, where we have attempted to offer the best possible 5 DIY methods to resolve QuickBooks error 6177, 0. However, in case of any questions or if the error still continues to trouble you, connect with our U.S. based accounting professionals via our dedicated helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and discuss the issue with our QuickBooks enterprise technical help team directly. We are a hub of certified accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance for all sorts of QuickBooks errors.
Other helpful articles: