Get the latest steps to resolve Error -6177,0 while opening QuickBooks Desktop
Encountered QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 and don’t know how to tackle with it? Well, need not to anymore, as we have come up with this article, where we are going to tell you the causes, as well as the quick fixes for this error. This sort of error is usually seen when the user tries to open the QuickBooks or a company file. This error basically indicates that your QuickBooks software is unable to follow the path for opening the company file. In the recent time, many QB users have reported this error, especially while they use multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
In certain cases, this error might require rebooting the system and updating the software to the latest version. However, in case you are also facing the same situation, then make sure to read this article till the end.
You may also like: Steps to Install QuickBooks database server manager
What is QuickBooks error 6177,0?
Well, before digging in deep and finding out causes and fixes to this error, it is better to understand what this error is all about. The QuickBooks error code 6177, 0 is generally seen or pop-ups, when the user tries to open the company file. This error comes up on the screen with an error message stating :
“QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file. Before you can open the company file from your computer you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0)” .
The user might also encounter this error, if the company file is located on a server system and the user is trying to access the file locally. Various other reason can lead to the occurrence of such error.
Possible factors causing the error
QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 generally affects the payroll distribution and accounting process. Whereas, there can be a few possible causes behind the occurrence of such error. Let us check out those causes one by one:
- Any kind of Trojan attack
- In case the file path of the file itself is corrupted
- If the user removed QuickBooks related system support file unintentionally
- Another reason behind the occurrence of such error can be, when the company file is moved from one system to another
How to fix the error 6177, 0 in QuickBooks Desktop?
Below we have provided some of the updated methods to resolve QuickBooks error code 6177.
Method 1: Update the file location
In case the company file is present on the server or on an external hard drive, the user might require to change its location. The steps below can be carried out to change location of the company file:
Step 1: Moving the company file
It should be noted that, the step below can be only carried out on the server system. In case the user is not having the access to the server system, then you can carry out the below steps on one of the workstations as well.
- First of all, open the Windows Start menu on either the server system or workstation
- After that type in File explorer in the search bar and open the same
- Now, spot and open the QuickBooks folder. Or press F2
- Look for the company file that ends with QBW or .qbw
- Once done with that, write down the drives name and location. The user will be required to put the file back here later on.
- To end process, the user is required to move the company file from the folder to the C: drive and then move the file avoiding the entire folder.
Step 2: Creating portable company file and restoring it to the server
Now, the company file is on the local drive, and it’s time to create a portable company file:
- Open QuickBooks desktop on the system having the company file
- Now, select the open or restore an existing company option
- Moving ahead, browse for and open the company file that is moved to C: drive
- And then, create a portable company file.
- Once done with that, choose the File menu and select quit QuickBooks option. Followed by, reopening QuickBooks
- Move to the file menu and select open or restore company
- Now, select the restore a portable file and hit next
- Find about the portable file that was created earlier and open the same, followed by hitting next
- Select the drive the user originally moved the company files from, in order to restore location
- Hit save and keep the company file back on the network
- End the process here and select file menu, followed by selecting quit QuickBooks option.
Related article: How to Resolve QuickBooks error code 6010, 100?
Method 2: Download QuickBooks file doctor tool
In case the error persists, the user can download and run QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website. This process would not involve any additional charges, and the QuickBooks file doctor tool is designed and developed in a way to diagnose and fix the error automatically.
Method 3: Update QuickBooks desktop
It is very essential for the user to update the QuickBooks desktop to the latest version, as it maintains the compatibility of the software with the operating system. This also ensures that no new bugs hinder the smooth working process. Each new version of QuickBooks roles in with some great features and also fixes to the underlying bugs. Thus, it is very important and highly recommended to update QuickBooks desktop on a timely basis.
Method 4: Move the company file to local hard drive
- Firstly, move the company file from the server to C drive
- And then, open the company file in QuickBooks
- Followed by, making a portable file and saving it to the local C drive
- Now, close the company file
- And restore the portable file from the C drive and then save it to the server
- Towards the end of the process, collect the company file and try to open it from the server
Method 5: Fix the file path manually
This process is then divided into two steps and a few sub steps. Let us have a look:
Step 1: Finding .ND file
- To begin with, open the file explorer on the server system and look for the QuickBooks folder
- Now, file with company name and .nd at the end. (For ex: [MyCompanyFileName].qbw.nd.)
- Lastly, right click the ND file and hit delete option. The point to be noted here is that this particular step won’t affect the accounting data.
Step 2: Configuring QuickBooks database server manager
- In case you have not downloaded and installed QuickBooks database server manager, then make sure to do it now
- After that, open Windows start menu on the server system and type database into the search bar. Also, open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now, select the QuickBooks folder having the company file
- Once done with that, choose the start scan option
- Followed by, opt for the close option after the scanning process complete
- The last step is to give the folder permissions to share the company files.
Method 6: Reset multi-user hosting
- First of all, open your QuickBooks desktop on your server computer.
- After that choose the File menu and navigate to the Utilities option.
- After that choose Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Now select the File menu and choose Quit QuickBooks option. This will reset your all hosting settings
- Next, open again your QuickBooks desktop, but this time you should not open your company file.
- After that choose the File menu and go to the Utilities tab.
- Now choose the Host Multi-User Access and hit on Yes to confirm.
- Finally , choose the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks.
With this, come to the end of this article, where we have tried to provide the best possible solutions to QuickBooks error 6177, 0. However, in case of any query or if the error continues to trouble you, feel free to call us at our toll free number i.e. 1-888-383-0323, and discuss the issue with our QuickBooks enterprise technical help team.
We are a hub of expert and certified QuickBooks professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance for all sorts of QuickBooks errors.
Other helpful articles: