All that you needed to know about fixing the QuickBooks Error 15212:
QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software available in the market. Introduced by Intuit, this application has brought considerable change in the way accounting and bookkeeping are done. In fact, small and medium-sized businesses have been largely benefitted from using this software since it has eased out the most complicated tasks.
Since QuickBooks is just an application, users do face errors sometimes affecting their day-to-day business operations. One of the common errors is QuickBooks Error 15212, which generally happens when the users are trying to update to the latest release or when they are downloading payroll.
You may receive one of the following error 12159 or error 15212 messages on your screen:
|Problem||The payroll update did not complete successfully. Please try again. You must successfully download the update by the deadline displayed in the Get Updates window.|
|Error 15212||The QuickBooks update did not complete successfully.|
|Warning||The payroll update did not complete successfully. The location for the shared download is not accessible.|
These errors can be caused by a shared download drive that is not mapped or is not accessible, or has insufficient access permissions. To find a solution to this error, it is imperative to understand the causes and symptoms.
Causes of QuickBooks payroll error code 15212
The chief causes behind this QuickBooks error are enlisted below:
- If the download location that is shared for updates is mapped to a currently unavailable drive.
- When the shared download is “switched off’ and the data file is opened from a non-mapped location.
- The hard disk or the remote download location doesn’t have enough disk space.
You can download the latest payroll or QuickBooks updates.
Points to consider before Troubleshooting QuickBooks error message 15212
- Do ensure that you have an active payroll service subscription with QuickBooks Desktop.
- You have to check if not more than one QuickBooks version is installed on the same computer as it can lead to errors.
- Make sure that your Firewall or Internet security does not have restrictive settings, as it can prevent QuickBooks from accessing the Internet.
You may also see: What is QuickBooks Error 80040408 and How to Resolve it?
Ways to resolve the QuickBooks error 15212
Following are the quick troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks error code 15212.
Solution 1: Steps to download the latest updates manually
The first solution that one can use to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 15212 is to set up the newest updates manually.
- The first thing to do is you have to open your QuickBooks application.
- Now go to the Help option, and then you will have to click on the Update QuickBooks tab.
- After that, you will see the Update QuickBooks Desktop window displayed on the screen.
- Choose the Option tab and then click on No for shared download option.
- Now you have to Save the changes and Close.
- After this, you can try to Download the updates.
- If still, the QuickBooks Error message 15212 persists, then try out the next solution.
Solution 2: Remapping the data files to the network drive
The procedure for remapping the data files to the network drive is given in a simplified manner as under:
- The very first thing to do is that you have to Restart your system.
- Now go to This PC and then double-click to Open it.
- You have to click on the Map network drive option.
- Once done, click on the Browse option and choose the Data file to map it.
- Once the remapping process is done check if QuickBooks 15212 Error is resolved or not.
Solution 3: Uninstall and Re-installation QuickBooks
If still the QuickBooks error 15212 is not resolved, then you have to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks. To uninstall QuickBooks, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Initially, go to Start and then type ”Control panel” and open it.
- After that, you have to select the Program and Features /Uninstall a program.
- Now choose the version which is responsible for this error.
- Once done, click on Uninstall and then on Remove.
Steps to Reinstall the QuickBooks
- Firstly, double-click on the QuickBooks.exe file downloaded.
- After that, you have to follow the steps that are displayed on the screen.
- You will be prompted to Accept the terms and conditions and then click on the Next tab.
- You must provide your Product and License Number and then go ahead according to the instruction that will be displayed on the screen.
Solution 4: Start your computer in Selective startup mode
To ensure that there’s no other program that hinders you from accomplishing your task, switch to Selective startup mode. If you’re not comfortable with the steps, ask your computer’s manufacturer or Windows specialist.
- On your keyboard, Press the Windows+ R keys to open the Run command.
- Enter Msconfig, then select the OK option..
- Under the General tab, choose Selective Startup and the Load system service option..
- Now hit click on the Services Tab, and then choose to Hide all Microsoft Services.
- After that, select the option to Disable all.
- Uncheck the Hide all Microsoft service checkbox.
- Make sure that the Microsoft Windows Installer option is chosen from the available services. If it’s not, you must select the checkbox.
- Now hit click on “OK.”
- In the System Configuration window, choose Restart.
Solution 5: Rename the Installation Folders
Reinstalling QuickBooks desktop will make sure that the most recent installation does not use outdated files once you have renamed the installation folders. To remove the error (if caused due to this reason), adhere to the instructions given below.
- Initially, uninstall the QuickBooks software installed on your PC. Subsequently, you are required to access the File Explorer from the folder icon on your Desktop or System Tray. Choose Hidden Items under the View tab. Follow the steps below to open File Explorer:
- Open the Start menu and type in File Explorer in the Search field. Follow it up by hitting the Enter button.
- The File Explorer window appears.
- As an alternative, you can hit on the Win + E keys to start the File Explorer.
- Now, search for the folder containing the QuickBooks Company files. Typically, the files can be found in your QuickBooks folder. The installation folder can be found in the places listed below.
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- For the 64-bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Once you’ve located the folder, right-click on it to choose the Rename option.
- Simply insert the word .old at the end of the folder name.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software by taking the aid of your license and product keys.
Resolving the QuickBooks payroll error 15212 is not as complicated as it seems. But often, when you get stuck in the process or have any kind of query, you can always connect with the experts who provide QuickBooks support services 24/7. Feel free to connect with us using our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787
More helpful topics: