QuickBooks accounting software has created a lot of buzz in the accounting industry, especially in the recent few years. This software is known for its amazing features and functionalities, but all these plus points cannot hide the fact that the QuickBooks software is prone to certain errors. In the recent times, many users have reported various errors, one of which is QuickBooks error code 15106. This error code is usually seen at the time of updating the QuickBooks software. It also indicates that the update program has been damaged. This is a payroll update error, which can trouble user at large.
If you want to get rid of this QuickBooks payroll error 15106, then today’s article can be of great help to you. Getting rid of this error can be a troublesome and tiresome task for many QB users, then in that case it is highly recommended to contact a certified accounting professional.
You might also like: Upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise from Desktop Pro/Premier
What is QuickBooks error 15106?
Before you begin with the fixation process of QuickBooks update error 15106, it is important to find out the facts associated with this error. The QuickBooks error 15106 hinders the updating process of QuickBooks payroll. The user might see the following error message on the screen “Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The update program is damaged”. The causes and fixes to this error are discussed later in this post.
Triggers to QuickBooks update error 15106
Now that you know what this error is all about, it is important for you to learn the causes of the error. Understanding the root cause of the issue can be of great help in fixing the bug. Let us check of the causes of QuickBooks update error 15106:
- Not having or not using the Administrator credentials too login while updating the software
- Pre-installed anti-virus software or program can be one major factor responsible for blocking the update process. For example, Spy Sweeper is present in the Webroot anti-virus
- UAC i.e. the user account settings if enabled can be a major cause behind the QuickBooks update error 15106.
Methods to Fix the QuickBooks Error 15106 (The Update Program is Damaged)
Before you begin with the solution steps of QuickBooks payroll update error 15106, in case you have an active QuickBooks desktop payroll subscription, then make sure to download the latest tax table after every step, in order to ensure payroll information isn’t affected. Now, without any further delay, let us begin with the solutions:
Solution 1: Logging in the system with admin credentials
Step 1: In case you have already logged in as a different user follow the steps below:
- Move to the QuickBooks desktop icon
- Right click the same
- Select the run as administrator option
- Type in the admin credentials
- Hit OK tab
- This will login you as an admin
Step 2: The user can login the admin account by switching the account, by carrying out the steps below:
- Click on start menu
- Click on switch user option from the bottom right side arrow
- Now enter the admin credentials
- This will easily switch the user account to admin account
Solution 2: Turning off User Account Control
In case the above method failed, then the user can turn off the user account control by carrying out the steps below. It should be noted that the steps to change the user account control settings differ for various versions of Windows operating system such as Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7.
Steps to change the user account control settings for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7:
- The very first step is to open the run box by pressing Windows + R tabs
- Once done with that, the user needs to type in the Control panel and then click on the Ok tab
- The next step is to select user accounts
- And then click on change user account control settings
The point to be noted here is that, if the user is getting any prompt by UAC, in such case it is most favourable to select Yes option to continue.
- Now, the user needs to move the slider. In case the user wishes to set to turn UAC OFF, then it is recommended to click on never notify and select Ok. Whereas for turning the UAC ON, the user needs to set to always notify and hit Ok.
- The last step is to restart the system and you are done.
Solution 3: Clean install of QuickBooks in selective startup mode
Step 1: Preparing the data for backup
Step 2: Login the system in selective startup mode
To ensure that no other application blocks the user from completing the task, the user needs to switch to selective startup mode:
- The very first step is to open the run box by pressing the Windows + R, and then type msconfig and then click on Ok tab
- The next step is to move to the general tab and opt for the selective startup mode and then load the system services
- Once done with that, the user needs to move to the services tab and select the hide all Microsoft services
- After that, check the hide all Microsoft services check box and also click on disable all option
- The user should also keep in mind to check windows installer checkbox from the list of services
- And then, select restart
Step 3: Uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks desktop
After the user restarts the system, the user needs to open uninstall the QuickBooks desktop after the system opens, and then reinstall the QuickBooks application.
Step 4: Now, switch to normal startup mode
After the QuickBooks desktop reinstall process completes, the user needs to restore the system settings to the normal configuration.
- Firstly, open run box and then type in misconfig followed by hitting OK button
- Now, choose the normal startup and in the general tab, click on Ok tab
- The next step is to select restart option on the system configuration window
Solution 4: Uninstalling the Antivirus program and rename the folder
- In this process, the user is first required to open the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys
- After that, move to the processes tab and then look for the antivirus, which is in the system
- The last step is to select end process
It should be noted that, in case the user is getting any issue while performing the task, then it is important to uninstall the antivirus application.
Renaming the QuickBooks update folder
- The user needs to open the file explorer by pressing Windows + E keys
- And then move to the C:\Program files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks (year)\Components (for 32 but users). And for 64 bit users, the path C:\Program files (x86)\Intuit\ QuickBooks (year)\Components is to be selected
- The next step is to right click the downloadqbXX folder > select rename option. Also, the XX stands for the version year of QuickBooks.
- The user is then required to add .old extension to the end of the name.
And then, try to update the software once again.
That’s all for the solutions to QuickBooks payroll error 15106. Implementing the above stated methods for resolving the error 15106 permanently. However, there can be situations when even after applying the above discussed methods fail to remove this technical snag. In such situations, the QuickBooks payroll support team can be a savior for you.
Simply calling us at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787 can be of great help in shunning off the QuickBooks error code 15106. So, feel free to contact us anytime, and leave the rest on our experts and certified accounting professionals.
Other articles to read: