Get attuned to the methods to identify, prevent and fix QuickBooks Corrupted file
Company files form the most essential asset of the QuickBooks software as it harbors all the invaluable accounting information related to the company. Any technical error or corruption caused in these company files can have serious ramifications in your business operations. It is, therefore, extremely important for QB users to identify, prevent and fix QuickBooks Corrupted file. In this comprehensive article, we have attempted to address these issues by throwing light on the different aspects related to fixing the issues in the company files.
For an elaborate clarification, you can connect to our technical support team at 1-800-761-1787. Our team comprises U.S-based experts with profound experience in the accounting domain and specialization in uprooting technical issues encountered in QuickBooks.
Identification of Corrupted QuickBooks Company files
An easy and effective approach for identifying and earmarking the corrupted company files is by checking the transactions and log file for any company file-related issues. Notably, QuickBooks users can examine a suspected company file for any issues by using the QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild data tool, an integral feature of the QuickBooks application. There are other signs, too, with one of them being a negative balance in QuickBooks transactions or some missing transaction. Besides these ways of identifying corrupted company files, users may encounter a plethora of technical error codes with brief error messages. These are direct indicators of company file-related issues.
You may also like: How to Convert to QuickBooks Enterprise from Desktop Pro/Premier?
What leads to a QuickBooks company file getting corrupted?
A wide range of conspicuous causes may result in corruption or data loss in QuickBooks company files. These include:
- Insufficient RAM /insufficient space.
- Abrupt system shutdown is another major cause of company file issues.
- Some malware or vicious virus might have affected the company files.
- A negative balance or missing transaction may also lead to company file issues.
What are the Different Ways to Prevent Corruption in the QuickBooks Company Files?
Preventing any corruption or data loss in the company files should be the foremost priority of every QuickBooks user. This is necessary, too, since fixing a particular company file issue is a much more tedious and intricate task as compared to preventing any technical issues in the company files. The various methods of preventing issues related to the company files are given as under:
(1) Ensure to make a backup of the company files
Creating a backup of the company files is indispensable as it negates any data loss in case of corruption in the original company file(s).
(2) Keep updating QuickBooks Desktop frequently
By updating QuickBooks, users also invite new enhanced features that aim at cleansing the QuickBooks accounting program of any data loss caused by technical issues.
(3) Keep scanning your system for any virus/malware intrusions
Users should make it a habit of scanning their system on a regular basis. This shall ward off any virus from the computer, thereby safeguarding your system files as well as your QuickBooks company files.
(4) Avoid setting up unauthorized third-party applications on your system
Corruptions or data loss in the company files can also be caused by some conflicting third-party application that contravenes QuickBooks operations. It is, therefore, recommended that users avoid the use of such programs to secure their company files.
(5) Avoid abrupt system shutdown by switching off the power supply
An abrupt system shutdown is one of the major reasons for data loss and corruption in your system as well as QuickBooks company files. QB Users should always avoid the practice of shutting down the power supply to the system while the system is still running. Although it seems to be a quick and convenient option to turn off the system, it may have serious and unfathomable ramifications.
(6) Reduce QuickBooks file size
To reduce the file size of your QuickBooks company file, you can follow these steps:
Condense the company file
- Initially, navigate to the File menu > then choose Utilities.
- After that choose Condense Data option.
- Next, you need to choose the transactions you want to delete, such as the previous transactions date or transactions that exceed a specific size.
- Also hit a click on Next tab.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
Remove unnecessary list entries
Here you need to remove any unused or duplicate entries to reduce the file size:
- Firstly, you need to select the list (e.g., Customers, Vendors, Items) from the menu.
- After that identify any entries that are no longer needed or are duplicates.
- Next, hit a right-click on the entry and select Delete option.
- And then confirm the deletion once the screen prompted.
Read Also: How to Mend QuickBooks Backup Error 2277?
DIY Methods to Fix the QuickBooks Corrupted File
If you form part of a large chunk of QuickBooks users who are exasperated by corruption in the Company file, then you should conform to the below-given methods for rectifying such issues.
Method 1: Using the Verify and Rebuild Data tool
One effective tool that can be used to oust issues within the company file(s) is the Verify and Rebuild data tool. This tool is easy to use and fixes a wide range of errors existing in the company files. The Verify tool checks for any issues, and the Rebuild data tool gets those issues fixed in no time. The straightforward procedure to use the tool is as follows:
Steps to use the Verify data tool:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then hit on the File menu.
- After that, click on the Utilities tab. Following that, tap on the option to Verify Data.
- Upon clicking on the option, the process of identification of any technical issues will enunciate.
- If any issue is diagnosed, the same needs to be fixed by using the Rebuild data tool.
Steps to use the Rebuild data tool:
- Again hit on the File menu, and then click on the Utilities option.
- After that, tap on the option to Rebuild data.
- Let the tool fix the company file or data damage issue.
Method 2: Leveraging the free tools
Users can also employ several free tools to fix QuickBooks corrupted file(s). These are listed out as follows:
(a) Using the QuickBooks File Doctor
To use this tool, users are first required to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the website of Intuit. Subsequently, install the tool and then follow the steps given below:
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Now, opt for the company file issues.
- After that, choose the option to Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Subsequent to that, choose the company file and then let the tool do its job of fixing the corrupted QuickBooks company file.
(b) Use QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool
Another feature of the QuickBooks tool hub is the QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool. To use this tool, launch the Tool Hub and then click on the option to Run QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool.
Besides fixing any corruption in the company file(s), the tool can also be used to fix technical issues emanating from Microsoft Components like MSXML, C++, and the .NET Framework.
(c) Run the Reboot.bat file in the QuickBooks folder
The batch file, namely Reboot.bat, can be run in order to fix a wide range of issues in QuickBooks company files.
- In the beginning, users are required to advance to the location containing the QuickBooks files. An easy way of doing this is by right-clicking the QuickBooks Desktop icon and then clicking on Properties.
- Soon after, click on the option to Open File Location. This will take you to the QuickBooks folder.
- Herein, search for the Reboot.bat file and run it by double-clicking on it.
- When the operation culminates, restart the computer and then check the company file for further issues.
(d) Using the QuickBooks Component repair tool
The component repair tool in QuickBooks can diagnose and fix a myriad of issues existing in the QuickBooks components. It can fix issues in the Windows registry and can troubleshoot technical issues existing in the QuickBooks data files.
We hope that by this stage, you should be familiar with the different ways to identify, prevent and fix QuickBooks Corrupted file. If you continue to face problems with your data/company files, then feel no hesitation in connecting with our QuickBooks technical support experts at the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.