Learn how to fix QuickBooks Error: Server busy: ‘This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy‘:
The latest QuickBooks desktop rolls in various features that work in a collective environment to reduce the time and resources spent in managing the books. But if there are too many programs running in the background, the QuickBooks software might end up with technical glitches. In recent times, many users have reported the QuickBooks server busy error, which comes up with a pop-up message on the screen.
In this article, we are going to discuss the various ways of tackling QuickBooks Server Busy Error. However, if you need any technical assistance from our expert guide, feel free to call us. Our experts will be there to answer all your queries instantly.
What is QuickBooks Server Busy Error?
Before exploring the causes and fixes to the QuickBooks error: server busy, let us find out what the QuickBooks server busy error indicates? The server busy message might appear in case QuickBooks is unable to complete the data exchange process. In multi-user mode, if you get a server busy error in QuickBooks, it infers that the company file is employed by another user. This error may also occur when the system is unable to communicate with the application server. It comes up with an error message stating:
|Server busy||This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘Switch To’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem.|
This error message might restrict the workflow and create an irreparable mess. We recommend you fix this error at the earliest to avoid further technical complexities.
Various Causes behind the QuickBooks desktop server busy error
There are a plethora of triggers leading to the QuickBooks server busy error. We have jotted down some of the most typical factors contributing to the error. Let us check them out:
- You might encounter this error when another program that QuickBooks is trying to work with is waiting for a response from you.
- If the network is not having sufficient resources to run the QuickBooks software.
- QuickBooks update manager or other programs having conflict with each other.
- When the Windows update is running in the background.
- In case the QuickBooks desktop is unable to shut down properly.
- Any conflict with Intuit ProSeries or profile might also cause this issue.
- Intuit Pro-Series or Profile can also create conflict.
- One such reason can be another program that is trying to work on QuickBooks desktop is waiting for your particular feedback
You might see also: How to Fix QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20?
Steps to Troubleshoot the Server Busy Error in QuickBooks Desktop
Now that we are well aware of the causes and related facts about the server busy error, it is the right time to find out the solutions to fix this error. So, let us explore each of the fixes one by one:
Fix 1: Close all Open Programs
- This fix requires you to close all the open programs and ensure that there is no dialog box open in that program, as it could lead to the server busy error.
- Programs like Norton, Google desktop, Windows defender, vista security, or pivot software control need to be closed as they can end up in this error.
- You are also required to configure the firewall and antivirus.
- Temporarily disable the spy sweeper, or run it in gamer mode while using the QuickBooks software.
- Furthermore, if you are making use of the selective startup in Windows, then stop Intuit FCS.
Fix 2: Go for Windows Update
Another method is to look for any available Windows updates and install them if needed. Installing the Windows update can resolve the issue to a great extent.
Fix 3: Use Quick fix my program feature of the QuickBooks Tool Hub
You are required to make use of the quick fix my program, as it will shut down any open background processes that the QuickBooks might be using. It will also run a quick repair on the QuickBooks software. The steps to be performed are as follows:
Step 1: QuickBooks Tool Hub: Download and Install the Tool
- Initially, you are required to close QuickBooks.
- Afterward, Download the QuickBooks tool hub file and also save the file somewhere you can easily spot it.
- Subsequently, open the File downloaded earlier by double-clicking on it.
- You are then required to follow the onscreen steps to Install and agree to the Terms and conditions.
- After the installation concludes, Double-click the Tool Hub icon on the desktop to open the QuickBooks tool hub.
Step 2: Run the Quick fix my program
- Launch the Tool Hub and pick the Program problems option.
- Afterward, choose the Quick fix my program.
- The final step is to open the QuickBooks desktop and access your company file.
Fix 4: Close all QuickBooks components
- Initially, you are required to Close the data file and then exit the QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, right-click the Windows Taskbar and choose the Task Manager.
- The next step is to hit on the Processes tab.
- Now, end any QuickBooks-related processes that show up in the list of processes.
- The last step is to launch the QuickBooks desktop and also open the company file.
Fix 5: Disable automatic update in QuickBooks
In case the QuickBooks update or other program is running in the background, it is supposed to be turned off. For disabling the QuickBooks automatic update, the below steps can be followed:
- Initially, hit the Ctrl+Alt+Ddelete keys.
- Afterward, choose the Task manager and Startup tab.
- The next step is to hit on the QuickBooks automatic update and then choose the Disable option.
- Now, turn off the shared updates in the QuickBooks desktop.
- For this, you need to visit the Help menu and hit on the Update QuickBooks tab.
- Subsequently, choose the Options tab.
- Then, choose for the Share download option.
- Finally, hit on Close tab.
Fix 6: Clean install the QuickBooks Desktop
You are supposed to completely uninstall QuickBooks, or in the case of Intuit ProSeries installed on the system, you need to rename it. This can be done as follows:
- It is recommended to ensure that the Clean install is the appropriate option.
- Afterward, gather the information and backup the data.
- Now, uninstall QuickBooks desktop and download the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Launch the QuickBooks clean install tool.
- And finally, reinstall the QuickBooks desktop software.
In case the Intuit Pro series is already installed on the system
- Check the Windows task manager for qbpsevntXXr.exe (XX refers to the year of the executable).
- Afterward, open Windows explorer by hitting Win + E keys.
- Subsequently, locate and open Intuit ProSeries folder for that year. It can be C:\ProWinXX.
- Now, open the 32-bit folder.
- And then locate the qbpsevntXXr.exe and right-click and hit on Rename.
- Now add ‘.old’ extension to the end of the file name.
- And then close Windows explorer.
You may also read: How to fix QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server issue?
Fix 7: Run the Reboot.bat file
You can run the reboot.bat file, by carrying out the below steps:
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks desktop.
- Afterward, right-click the QuickBooks desktop icon. Choose the properties tab and then hit on the open file location option.
- The next step is to choose the Shortcut option from the Properties menu and then right-click the Reboot.bat file. Also, opt for the Run as administrator option.
- You will then see a command window with rapidly scrolling names. You should avoid manually closing the window, as the window will close automatically when the Reboot. Bat file utility gets complete.
Fix 8: Closing QuickBooks update agent displaying the server busy message
- Under this process, you are supposed to open the Start menu and choose All programs after opting for the Startup option.
- You are then supposed to right-click on the QuickBooks update agent and also opt for delete and hit on the Delete shortcut.
- Heading forward, Turn off shared updates in QuickBooks. This can be done by:
- Proceeding to the Help menu and picking the Update QuickBooks option.
- You are then supposed to move to the Options window.
- Follow it up by heading to the Share download option and go for No and close options respectively.
Miscellaneous Methods to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Server Busy Error
Method 1: Use the Safe Mode option
In case the above methods failed to work in your favor, then make sure that you carry out the steps below:
- You can move to the Safe mode from Windows, with networking, and then open QuickBooks. And then reboot the Windows in Normal mode. This would probably resolve the error up to great extent.
- You can also run QuickBooks desktop and carry out necessary actions in Windows selective startup, followed by Windows safe mode.
- Also, reboot the system and then reconnect it to all the mapped drives.
- You can also opt for an alternate method by identifying if the backup or mirroring software is running on the network server. If yes, then it might actively scan the hard drive and also block access to the QuickBooks files. You will have to disable the software and check if the issue continues.
- If you are having any security software installed on the system, then this might be scanning new or updates files in the background, hence locking the template file. You will have to disable the security software or ad .doc files to the exception list.
Method 2: Repair QuickBooks Desktop software
Repairing QuickBooks can be another effective option to follow:
- At first, you need to Backup the company file.
- Reboot the system.
- This will terminate all the running programs and No programs will get affected.
- Head to the Windows start menu and look for the search bar and type Control panel and click on it.
- Head to the Programs and features tab, hit a click on Uninstall a program.
- On the list of programs, choose QuickBooks and hit on the Uninstall/change button.
- Hit on the Continue tab and hit Next tab.
- After that hit a click on Repair and hit Next.
- Furthermore, hit on the Finish tab.
- Lastly Update your QuickBooks one more time. This will ensure that you are equipped with the latest fixes and security updates.
Method 3: Map the Network Drive in Windows
By mapping a network drive, you can give files and folders that were previously stored somewhere else a brand-new environment. To do this, adhere to the following steps:
- Opt for Windows start menu.
- Type This PC into the search box and hit the Enter key.
- In the list of apps, double-click the This PC.
- Now, opt for Map a Network Drive option from the menu.
- Choose an available letter for the drive, then hit on Browse.
- Use your navigational tools to find the location where your QuickBooks files are currently kept.
- After that, tap the OK button, followed by hitting on the Finish button.
- Use the newly mapped drive to access the company now when you launch QuickBooks.
Read this Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Cannot Create PDF File?
We end this post over here, with the hope that the information shared above might work in resolving QuickBooks server busy error. However, if you are still facing the same issue and it is still troubling you, then make sure to consult a professional with renowned experience. You can also give us a call at 1-800-761-1787.
Our 24/7 QuickBooks error support experts work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance to all users across the globe. Our team is a congregation of experienced and certified professionals who have years of experience in rectifying the QuickBooks-related flaws and technical intricacies. So, what are you waiting for? Pick up your phone and get unmatched assistance from our experts.