Learn how to fix Error: Server busy in QuickBooks Desktop:
QuickBooks accounting software rolls in various features that helps to work in a collective environment to reduce the time and resources spent in managing the books. But if there are too many programs running in the background, the QuickBooks software might end up in technical glitches. In the recent times, many users have reported the QuickBooks server busy error, which comes up with a pop-up message on the screen. In today’s post, we are going to discuss the ways in which this error can be easily tackled.
However, if you need any technical assistance or for any sort of expert guidance, feel free to call us. Our experts will be there to answer all your queries instantly.
You might see also: What is QuickBooks component repair tool?
What is QuickBooks Error: Server Busy?
Before you dig in deep and explore the causes and fixes to the QuickBooks error: server busy, we recommend you to first find out what QuickBooks error server busy is? The server busy message might appear in case QuickBooks is unable to complete the data exchange process. In multi-user mode, if you gets a server busy error in QuickBooks, it indicates that the company file is in use by another user. Server busy error occurs when the system is unable to communicate with the application server. It comes up with an error message stating as:
“This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘switch to’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem.”
This error message might restrict the workflow and create further mess. We recommend you to fix this error asap.
Causes of QuickBooks desktop error: server busy
There can be a couple of triggers to QuickBooks error: server busy. We have jotted down some of the most common triggers, let us check them out:
- You might encounter this error when another program that QuickBooks is trying to work with is waiting for a response from you.
- Also this error could be seen when the windows update is running in the background.
- In case the QuickBooks desktop is unable to shut down properly.
- Any conflict with Intuit ProSeries or profile might also cause this issue.
- If the network is not having sufficient resources to run the QuickBooks software.
- Intuit Pro Series or Profile can also create conflict.
- QuickBooks update manager or other programs having conflict with each other.
- One such reason can be another program that is trying to work on QuickBooks desktop is waiting for your particular feedback
Methods to Fix Error: Server Busy. This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy
Now that we know the causes and various other facts about the server busy error, it is the right time to find out the solutions to this error. So, let us explore each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Closing all open programs
- In this method, close all the open program and ensure that there is no dialog box open in that program, as it could lead to server busy error.
- Also, programs like Norton, Google desktop, Windows defender, vista security, or pivot software control can end up in this error, if opened in the background.
- You are also required to configure the firewall and antivirus.
- Make sure to close Google desktop, Windows defender, Vista security, and pivot software control.
- Temporarily disable spy sweeper, or run it in gamer more while using QuickBooks.
- It should be noted that if you are making use of selective startup in windows, then stop Intuit FCS.
Method 2: Check Windows update
Another method is to look for any windows update and install if needed. Installing windows update can resolve the issue up to a great extent.
Method 3: Use Quick fix my program from QuickBooks tool hub program
You are required to use the quick fix my program, as it will shut down any open background processes that the QuickBooks might be using. It will run a quick repair on the program. The steps to be performed are as follows:
Step 1: First of all, download and install QuickBooks tool hub.
- At first, you are required to close QuickBooks.
- And download the QuickBooks tool hub file and also save the file somewhere you can easily spot it.
- And then open the file downloaded earlier.
- You are also required to follow the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After the install completes, make sure to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the QuickBooks tool hub.
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6175?
Step 2: Run Quick fix my program
- It is now required to select program problems in the tools hub program.
- And then choose the Quick fix my program.
- The final step is to open QuickBooks desktop and the company file.
Method 4: Closing all QuickBooks components
- At first, you are required to close the data file and then exit the QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, right click the windows taskbar and also select the task manager.
- Next step is to hit a click on the processes tab.
- And also, end any of the QB related processes.
- Last step is to open the QuickBooks desktop and also open data file.
Method 5: Turning off QuickBooks automatic update
In case the QuickBooks update or other program is running in the background, it is supposed to turn if off. For turning off QuickBooks automatic update, the below steps can be followed:
- The very first step is to press ctrl+ alt+ delete keys.
- And then, choose the task manager and startup tab.
- Next step is to select the QuickBooks automatic update and then select disable.
- Now, turn off the shared updates in QuickBooks desktop.
- For this, you need to visit the help menu and select the update QuickBooks tab.
- And then choose the options tab.
- Now, select no for the share download option.
- And lastly, select close.
You may also read: How to fix QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server issue?
Method 6: Clean installation of QuickBooks desktop
You are supposed to completely uninstall QuickBooks, or in case of Intuit ProSeries installed on the system, you need to rename it. This can be done as follows:
- It is recommended to ensure that clean install is right for the person.
- And then gather the information and backup of the data.
- Now, uninstall QuickBooks desktop.
- And also, download QuickBooks tool hub.
- Run the QuickBooks clean install tool.
- And finally reinstall QuickBooks desktop.
In case the Intuit Proseries is installed on the system
- It is supposed to check the windows task manager for qbpsevntXXr.exe. XX here is the year of the executable.
- And then open windows explorer.
- Also locate and open Intuit ProSeries folder for that year. It can be C:\ProWinXX.
- Now open the 32 bit folder.
- And then locate the qbpsevntXXr.exe and also right click and opt for rename.
- Now add add .old extension to the end of the file name.
- And then close windows explorer.
Method 7: Run Reboot.bat file
You can run the reboot.bat file, by carrying out the below steps:
- Firstly close QuickBooks desktop.
- And then hit a right click the QuickBooks desktop icon. Also select the properties tab and then select open file location option.
- Next step is to choose the shortcuts option from the properties menu and then right click the reboot.bat file. Also, select run as administrator.
- You will then see a command window with rapidly scrolling names. You should avoid manually closing the window, as the window will close automatically when the reboot. Bat file utility gets complete.
In case the above methods failed to work in your favour, then make sure that you carry out the steps below:
- You can move to the safe mode from windows, with networking and then open QuickBooks. And then reboot the windows in normal more. This would probably resolve the error up to great extent.
- You can also run QuickBooks desktop and carry out necessary actions in windows selective startup, followed by windows safe mode.
- Also reboot the system and then reconnect it to all the mapped drives.
- You can also opt for an alternate method by identifying if the backup or mirroring software is running on the network server. If yes, then it might actively scanning the hard drive and also blocking the access to the QuickBooks files. You will have to disable the software and check if the issue continues.
- If you are having any security software installed on the system, then this might be scanning new or updates files in the background, and hence locking the template file. You will have to disable the security software or ad .doc files to the exception lost.
Other method to follow
Repairing QuickBooks can be another effective option to follow:
- At first, you would have to backup the company file.
- Reboot the system.
- This will terminate all the running programs and no programs will get affected.
- Head to the windows start menu and look for the search bar and type control panel and click on it.
- Head to the programs and features tab, hit a click on uninstall a program.
- On the list of programs, click on the QuickBooks and click on uninstall/change.
- click on continue tab.
- Hit next.
- click on repair and hit next.
- Furthermore, click on finish tab.
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release. This will ensure to have latest fixes and security updates.
Read this Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Cannot Create PDF File?
We end this post over here, with the hope that the information shared in above might work in resolving QuickBooks error: server busy. However, if you are still facing the same issue and it is still troubling you, then make sure to consult a professional with renowned experience. You can also give us a call at 1-800-761-1787. Our 24/7 QuickBooks error support experts work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance to all users across the globe.