Unleash the quick fixes to QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20
Have you ever heard about QuickBooks error code 20: Printer not activated? Well, this is something that you might experience, while upgrading from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 7 or later versions. This is because the new operating system eliminates the use of the software key in the registry settings, which ultimately leads to error code 20. In case you are trying to print from QuickBooks 2009 installed on Windows 10 system, then it is most probable to encounter this error. This error code can also appear on the screen when you try to print a pay slip, form or a PDF using QuickBooks desktop. There are numerous facts associated with this error code that will be discussed later in this article, along with the tips and tricks to get rid of from it. Thus, make sure to read this article carefully till the end.
If you want to unleash the wider known facts about QuickBooks error code 20: printer not activated, then you can consult our QuickBooks error support team. Our team of experts will not only fix the error for you, but also it will hardly take anytime to the professionals to fix this issue for you.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks error code 1321?
What is Printer Not Activated (Error Code -20) on QuickBooks?
QuickBooks error code 20: Printer not activated is one of the most commonly encountered errors that are most probable to occur when the new operating system puts the Hkey_Current-config\software key in the registry settings. As a result of QuickBooks error 20, you might not be able to print or send invoices and payslips that lead to further nuisance. This error is a common error that is caused by many other software’s apart from the QuickBooks software but there is significance on QuickBooks is more than any other software. The error code comes up with an error message stating as:
“You cannot print directly to the QuickBooks PDF converter. Try using QuickBooks Save as PDF menu option”.
Continue reading to explore the causes and symptoms of the error code. You may see following error on your desktop screen when you are trying to print a file:
What triggers QuickBooks error code 20?
Now that you have learnt what is meant by this error, it is time for you to find out what triggers this error code. This error code can be seen, if:
- QuickBooks 2009 compatibility issues with Windows 10
- You are still using QuickBooks 2009
- QuickBooks windows registry file issues
- Unsupported printer drivers
- Outdated application key
- The PDF converter not configured properly
- There is an outdated windows operating system
Important Points to remember before rectifying printer not activated error. Before beginning with the rectification process of QuickBooks error 20: Printer not activated error, it is recommended to read the pointers below:
1. Making/Creating a registry backup
- You are recommended to take the registry backup, before jumping on to any process. For this, you can visit the Registry Editor and then click on the Computer, which can be seen in the folder tree in the left side.
- Once done with that, select the file option and then hit Export option.
- To end the process, click on Save and you good to go.
2. Making a system restore point
It should be noted that the restore guide is not only labeled for Windows 10, but also they work on Windows Vista/Seven as well as Windows 8.
- You are required to ensure that you are not using a discontinued version of QuickBooks. This is because every QuickBooks version is only good for 3 years from the year in which it was launched.
- Another point to be kept in mind is to update QuickBooks software, along with the windows drivers.
- Ensure to login as admin on windows and not as a guest user.
- In case you are having two different versions of QuickBooks installed on the windows operating system, then it is recommended to ensure that both of versions have varied installation directories.
- Not only this, but also make an attempt to install 32-bit version of Windows, in case of Windows XP or Vista.
3. Change the Directory
You can take the below points into consideration before changing the directory:
- Generate backup, when making any changes to the current registry. In case you are unable to solve issues with modified registry, then it is recommended to use old registry.
- In order to handle further complications, it is recommended to create a system recovery point.
4. Closing the final draft on the system
In order to close the final draft on the system, you can simply carry out the steps below:
- For Windows 8 or later:
- First move to the start or windows icon on the screen.
- Right click the final draft9/8 tile.
- You are then required to click on the run as admin tab.
- For Windows 7/Vista:
- If you are a windows 7 or vista user, then click on the start menu and also click on the programs tab.
- Also, right click on the final draft 9/8′ and click on the run as administrator tab.
- The last step is to try to save the documents in PDF format. You will be able to save the script in PDF format without any issue.
Read this also: How to fix abort error in QuickBooks desktop?
Quick Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 20: Printer not Activated
Once you have explored the symptoms, causes, as well as precautions, you are all set to carry out the steps to rectify QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error 20. Well, the list of solutions to this error code is huge, but not all methods work in all cases. Thus, we have enumerated below some of the most effective and recommended methods, which will help you in fixing the issue. So, without wasting much time, let us begin with the processes.
Technique 1: Mend QuickBooks PDF component QBprint.qbp file
The very first technique that can be adopted by you, can be to mend QuickBooks PDF component QBprint.qbp file.
The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Open the Windows Control Panel and then visit the Programs and Features tab.
- Pick the QuickBooks software from the list of installed program.
- Hit a click on change and then begin with the repair process, along with that follow the instruction till the end.
- Once done with that, make sure to reboot the system, when the QuickBooks repair process comes to an end.
- Now, make an attempt to print something, and find out whether the error continues or not.
Technique 2: Reinstalling QuickBooks desktop
- In this process, you are recommended to enter the Control Panel and then click on the Programs and features option. After that locate the software.
- Followed by clicking on uninstall option. After that download the proper version of the software ensuring its compatibility with the operating system.
- Now, make sure that the printer and the program is working fine.
- In case you encounter certain issue regarding the un-installation, then use the system security application, just like Reimage or RegCure Pro, in order to clean the system from corrupted files.
You may also read: What is QuickBooks payroll error 2000?
Technique 3: Stop User Account control from keeping an eye on application on windows
- Hit Windows + R keys, and after that type in Control Panel inside the Run window.
- Tap on OK button.
- Hit a click on the User Accounts that can be found under the Control Panel.
- Once done with that, click on Change user access control settings and then move the slider to never to notify.
- The last step is to hit OK and restart the system.
Technique 4: Setting Full Control Access for software folder in Windows Registry
If none of the above methods worked, then try to set full control access for software folder in windows registry. As this methods can help you to get rid of QuickBooks error code 20. The steps involved in this method are as follows:
- To begin with, hit the Start tab and then type in Regedit.
- Once done with that, right click the regedit icon and then click on the run as admin option.
- Move to the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder and then hit a click on the software folder.
- Now, click on permissions.
- After then check Full control for the users.
- Moving ahead, hit OK and then close the registry editor.
- After that, end the process by opening QuickBooks and then try to print a pdf to check if the error persists.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error TD500?
Technique 5: Checking default email program in windows registry
- In this process, you are supposed to press Windows + R keys initially, and then type in command as Regedit, followed by clicking on OK tab.
- Move to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER-> Software -> Clients -> Mail.
- Now, verify the default email name, in case it is not the default program, hit a click on Default section and then type in the name of the email program.
- Last step in the process is to hit OK button and then reboot the windows.
Technique 6: Permitting the usage of Powershell script
Well, it should be noted that this option is only for the Windows 10 users. You can update the registry key editor manually by offering authority to use Powershell script. The steps involved in granting permission are as follows:
- Firstly, hit a click on Start tab.
- Type in cmd.
- Choose the Run as admin option, by clicking cmd.
- Now, type in powershell in the command prompt and then hit the Enter key.
- To end the process, make sure to copy and paste the following code in the command prompt.
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
This will update the registry and fix the error.
Technique 7: Activate Printer Spooler Service
When none of the methods helped, make sure to activate the print spooler service. The steps to be carried out in this process are as follows:
- First of all, hold down the Windows logo and then Press R keys together.
- The next step is to type in services.msc and Hit Enter key.
- Choose Print spooler option and then, choose the Stop option.
- Once done with that, right click and then press Start option.
- Now check if the error is resolved or not.
Technique 8: Fixing Microsoft Document Writer windows component
The Microsoft document writer is preinstalled windows component and it helps in printing file. The component enables the windows to assist QuickBooks application to save the information in PDF. The steps involved are as follows:
- To begin with, you are required to right click the QuickBooks icon and then choose the open file location tab.
- Move to the temp folder.
- Also, locate and double click the exe file, and complete the installation.
- Followed by, opening QuickBooks once to register the license.
- The next step is, in case you are facing issue in installing ABS PDF driver, or it stops responding, then try reinstalling them again.
- Lastly, print again and then verify the QuickBooks error code, once the installation process completes.
Technique 9: Using QuickBooks Print repair tool
If none of the methods worked in your favor, then you can make use of the QuickBooks print repair tool. The steps to be followed are:
- You can download the QuickBooks PDF and Print repair tool from the QuickBooks tool hub program.
- Run the tool in administrator mode.
- After that, the application will run with a red background and will let you find the solution.
- The next step is to ensure that the QuickBooks version is updated.
- Followed by ensuring that the printer is printing out of your QuickBooks.
- Now, you will be prompted to restart after running the tool.
- And lastly, while running the tool, keep in mind that all other running applications are closed.
Tackling QuickBooks printer not activate error 20 can be a daunting task for you, but carrying out the above listed methods can assist in fixing the issue. However, for any kind of technical assistance, or if the same error still persists, do not hesitate in ringing up at our dedicated helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our QuickBooks enterprise support team and U.S based accounting professionals will ensure to provide instant support. We will be more happy to help you!
Other helpful articles to read: