In recent times, cybercrime cases have seen a sharp rise, which in turn gives rise to the QuickBooks password recovery process. There can be various instances when you might require to reset password for QuickBooks admin and other users. When you login to your QuickBooks, admin password is automatically created by the software. Due to security updates and various other security threats, you might require to reset the password. It is very essential for the users to maintain their admin account and keep changing the password frequently, in order to maintain the authenticity and privacy.
At times, QuickBooks user might find it difficult to reset the password as it involves various steps. So, in order to ease the process for you, we have come up with today’s article. We are going to guide you with the entire process to reset password for QuickBooks admin and other users. So, make sure to read this article till the end carefully. Or an alternative to this can be, consulting our support team. You can call us at our toll-free number and talk to our experts and certified accounting professionals. We will ensure to provide you the best possible guidance in resetting the password for QuickBooks admin and other users.
Points to remember
Before you get started with the process to reset the QuickBooks password, it is very important to jot down certain points and consider them, in order to avoid any sort of further issue.
- The first and foremost thing is to keep in mind is that, the password should be of minimum 7 characters, so that it meets the password criteria.
- The next thing to consider is that, password should have at least one numeric character.
- Also, you should reset the password at a timely interval, so as to ensure that the security is maintained.
- Another important thing is to keep in mind that the caps lock and number lock should be off, while creating the password.
- In order to avoid threat, it is important for users to maintain the complexity of the password.
- Spaces are not allowed in password.
- At times, the users choose to leave the admin password to their data file empty or completely blank, so the password may actually be blank in certain cases. However, the point should be noted that intuit does not recommend this practice for security purposes.
Information you need to have for resetting the password for QuickBooks desktop
Before you begin with the process to change the admin password or user password, there are certain precautions that the QuickBooks accounting software carry out in order to authenticate the identity. The entire process might require certain information and account details, which we have listed below:
- QuickBooks 15-digit license number is a must.
- You might also require the email id of that specific contact.
- Also, you need to have the zip code registered with QuickBooks.
- Also, the registered contact number or the registered business contact number must be available with the user.
- Full name of an authorized contact should be present with the user.
- The point here that matters is to ensure that the details are entered in the same way as they appear on the intuit account. Once the mentioned details are collected, you are all set to change the password.
Finding out the type of password you have to reset your password for QuickBooks Desktop
You can either reset the admin password, or a normal user password. If you are unable to decide which password you are supposed to reset, then you can check out the process to select between the two, below:
Admin password can be selected in case:
- You do not have to enter a username while signing in the software. This basically means that you are only have to enter the password, while you signs in QuickBooks software.
- Another case when you would have to reset the admin password is that, if the username is admin or another admin username you created earlier.
In case you are not an admin user or you do not have the admin credentials or admin rights, then in that case QuickBooks admin can reset your password for you. You can contact your admin and ask them to carry out the process to reset a user password. The steps to reset user password will be discussed later in this post.
You might see also: How to Transfer QuickBooks Desktop to Another Computer?
Steps to reset password for QuickBooks admin and other users
Now that you have decided the type, carry out the steps for your particular password type. The point to be noted here is that in case you are upgrading to QuickBooks desktop 2020, then ensure to reset the password in your earlier version of QuickBooks first. Now, let us check out the steps you need to carry out for each of the type one by one:
Case 1: Changing admin password for QuickBooks 2020
- If you are QuickBooks 2020 user, then you might require to select “I forgot my password” on the company login window.
- Once you have selected the above option, you will have to select email id from the drop-down list and then click on next option. This will send you an email containing a token to reset the password.
Note that the drop-down list is not available or is not showing your particular email address, then you can select the “don’t see your email in the list above?” option and carry out the instructions available on the screen.
- Last step in the process is, to enter the token that you received via email and then reset the password successfully
Case 2: Resetting the password for QuickBooks 2019 (admin)
- To begin with this process, it is supposed to select “I forgot my password” from the login window.
- Next step is to click on the link and enter the required information. The information might involve the following:
- License number
- Email address
- ZIP code
- And the phone number
- Now, click on ok tab and this will send you a code to your registered email.
- To end the process, carry out the onscreen instructions and you are done with creating a new password.
Case 3: Changing the password while knowing it (for other versions of QuickBooks)
- Open the company file and move to the next step.
- Choose the company tab and choose setup users and passwords option, followed by selecting change your password.
- Now enter the current password in the current password field.
- Next step is to enter the new password in the new password field, and then again enter the same in the confirm new password field.
- End the process, make sure to click on the OK tab.
Read it also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6175?
Case 4: Forgotten or lost password (Other versions of QuickBooks)
In this case, you might have two options to recover the lost password. We will be checking each of the options one by one.
Reset the admin password with the help of security question
- You are required to select I forgot my password from the QuickBooks desktop login screen.
- After that click on answer the security question and hit OK tab.
- After the message stating “your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password protected” appears on the screen, you need to click on close.
- Once done with that, change QuickBooks password window will appear and the user now will be required to click on enter a new password and new challenge question.
- At the end of the process, you will have to click on OK tab and the file will open up.
Changing the password using reset code (admin only)
- Click on the tool based on the version of QuickBooks that you are using currently.
- Now from the QuickBooks version list, select the version of QuickBooks desktop.
- Next step is to fill in the QuickBooks license number and other important information being asked by the software, and then click on submit option.
- Make sure to accept the license agreement and click on download option.
- You will now have to click on the download now option that will appear on the next screen.
- Moving ahead, enter the token number that you might have received on the registered email address.
- Now select the same QuickBooks version that you selected earlier.
- And click on the browser for company file option, followed by selecting the company file you wish to reset the password for.
- This brings you to the end of this process, where you have to enter the new password in the required field and then hit on the reset password option which will complete the reset password process successfully.
Changing user password
Now that you have learnt the process to change the admin password, it is time to find out the process to reset a user password. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Initially, you are required to sign in as an admin user, which means to sign in with admin credentials.
- And then move to the company option, followed by selecting the set of users and passwords tab.
- Once done with that, you have to select the set of users.
- Moving ahead, you will be required to enter the admin password once again, only if asked.
- Now in the user list, choose the users for which you are wishing to change the password and then click on edit user.
- Fill in the new password in the required field.
- Take on next twice, and end the process by selecting finish option.
Changing the user password and admin password involves certain steps that we discussed above in today’s article. Thus, we hope that the information we have shared in above might be of some help for changing the password with much ease. However, if in case you might not be able to reset the password, even after reading the entire article, then it is highly recommended to consult a certified professional as the password is a sensitive case.
You can simply ring up at our toll-free number 1-800-761-1787 and consult our QuickBooks enterprise support team. We are a group of experts and certified accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance to all QB users. Thus, do not hesitate in calling us anytime, as we will be happy to help you.
You may see also: