Learn the possible ways to Resolve error 12029 when downloading payroll or QuickBooks Desktop updates:
Technical snags and glitches in QuickBooks can be quite annoying, and dealing with them might seem to be a humongous task. QuickBooks error code 12029 is one such update error. It is a network time-out error, which means the accounting software is not able to get an IP address, and the servers are connected through a weak connection. This error occurs when the backend servers are unable to revert to QuickBooks within the allotted time interval.
Another common scenario that triggers this error is when you try to update QuickBooks desktop or payroll. To get a better grip on this error, it is highly recommended to scroll through the article carefully. We understand that fixing errors isn’t a cakewalk, so you can get on a call with our technical expert using the support line, i.e., 1(800)761-1787. Our QuickBooks payroll experts and certified professionals are available round-the-clock to help you fix any accounting-related errors.
A Gist of QuickBooks error message 12029
|QuickBooks error code 12029
|[Error 12029]. QuickBooks is failed to receive the IP address or servers.
|Update QuickBooks Software to the latest
Causes that trigger the QuickBooks Error Code 12029
Now that we have explored the basic information regarding the QuickBooks error code 12029, it is now time to find out what leads to this error code. It should be noted that there are internal as well as external factors that might lead to this kind of error. Let us have a look at both of the causes one by one.
- The first external cause of Error code 12029 is downloading the QuickBooks payroll update.
- Your firewall or internet security obstructs QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- If the default browser is not Internet explorer.
- In case your internet plans expired.
- Incorrect SSL settings.
- QuickBooks software itself fails to connect to the internet.
- If there are other connection issues in QuickBooks.
- In case the server is blocked, then this error code may be triggered.
- QuickBooks update timeout can also be one of the common internal causes.
- Windows is not updated to the latest update/version.
Read this Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 7149 (Runtime Error)?
Methods to rectify the QuickBooks error code 12029
You can try implementing the below-enumerated methods to successfully get rid of the QuickBooks error code 12029.
Method 1: Testing connectivity and settings
It should be noted that Internet Explorer is used by QuickBooks software to access the internet, which makes it important for you to set internet explorer as the default browser. So, you need to carry out the steps below:
- Initially, close the QuickBooks software and then open the Microsoft IE.
- After that, visit the Tools tab or press Alt Key.
- Next, open the Internet options and spot the Security tab.
- Look for the Globe symbol and then tap on the same in the Security tab window.
- Ascertain that the Security level is set to Medium-high.
- Now look for the Connections tab.
- If the dial-up node is not used, select the Never dial a connection. On the contrary, if you use the dial-up node, then choose the Correct internet service provider.
- Tap on OK and then proceed to the LAN settings.
- Look for the Automatically detect settings tab.
- Search for the Proxy server checkbox.
- Afterward, hit on OK and then move to the Advanced tab.
- Go for the Restore advanced settings.
- Pick TLS 1.2 and hit the OK button.
- End the process by closing internet explorer and rebooting the system.
- Download and run the TLS 1.2 utility.
- Find out whether the is set as the Default browser or not.
The point to be noted here is that if you are unable to access a secure website outside QuickBooks, then you might be needed to consult a computer or IT expert.
Method 2: Check the security settings of the Antivirus and Firewall
In case the above method fails to work, it is recommended to determine whether some security software is preventing the download process. This issue might occur due to the antivirus or the firewall settings. In certain instances, the security software blocks the software from connecting to the server. In such a case, it becomes necessary to check and fix the settings so that they can favor the payroll update process in QuickBooks. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Initially, Download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website.
- Save it somewhere on the desktop, followed by running the tool.
- In the next step, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will automatically configure the firewall and open the ports.
- The last step in this process involves checking whether the QuickBooks error code 12029 got fixed or not.
You may also read: How to resolve QuickBooks error code 6123?
Method 3: Install (or update) QuickBooks security certificate
- To begin with, right-click on the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and then hit on the Properties option.
- Click on the Open File location under the Shortcut tab and then hit the OK button.
- Subsequently, right-click on the QuickBooks.exe file and then hit the Properties option.
- Now, choose the QuickBooks option from the list and hit on the details option present under the Digital signatures tab.
- Hit on the View certificate option and then hit the Install certificate option from the General tab.
- Now, make sure to set the current user, as the store location, under the Certificate import wizard window, followed by hitting Next.
- Hit a click on the Next, followed by hitting on the Finish tab.
- Conclude the process by hitting on the OK tab.
Method 4: Check your Internet Connectivity
- The initial step in this process is to open Internet Explorer and then access any safe website such as www.google.com.
- If the website is accessed without any issue, then only you are recommended to carry out the steps below.
- Check the Internet connection for any misconfigurations.
- Once done with that, ensure that the time and Date of the system are correct.
- Open internet explorer, followed by clicking on Tools at the top, and then choose the Internet options.
- Now hit a click on the Reset/Restore defaults, under the Advanced tab.
- Hit Apply and OK options, respectively.
- Conclude the process by running the update for QuickBooks desktop and payroll and afterward check the status of the QuickBooks error 12029.
Read this also: How to rebuild and verify date in QuickBooks desktop?
Method 5: Access Windows in Safe Mode and Update
It should be noted that Starting Windows in safe mode can help the QuickBooks users in fixing the QuickBooks error 12029. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Hit on the Win + I keys on your keyboard.
- Proceed to the Update and security and then click on the same.
- The next step is to hit on the Recovery option, followed by moving on to the Advanced startup.
- Now, make sure to carry out the instructions carefully and then reboot the system.
- While restarting the system, hit the F8 key repeatedly to witness an option to open the system in Safe mode with networking.
- Check if the error still persists.
Method 6: Re-configure QuickBooks payroll and Reboot the updates
You can reconfigure QuickBooks payroll and reboot the updates if none of the other methods worked. The steps involved are:
- Unplug the Wireless router or the Internet switch and wait for around 10 seconds.
- Turn on the Wireless router or internet switch and check the Internet latency now.
- Now, open the QuickBooks and then the company file.
- Once done, hit the Ctrl + K keys on the keyboard.
- Follow it up by choosing the Edit option.
- Un-check the open Payroll setup.
- You will have to wait till the process ends, and the payroll updates will continue on their own.
Method 7: Configure SSL settings for internet explorer in QuickBooks
In case you are unable to update payroll, you can start QuickBooks and move to the Help menu and select Internet connection settings. And then ensure that QuickBooks uses the Internet connection of the system. Also, click on Next and then the Advanced connection setting.
You need to check internet properties and then click on the advanced tab:
- Firstly you need to verify that the Use SSL 2.0 and use SSL 3.0 are verified.
- Choose the Connect tab and then the OK tab.
- Now close the QuickBooks software and restart it.
- At last, hit a click on the Help menu and Update Now tab.
Configure SSL settings internet explorer outside of QuickBooks
- Initially, open Microsoft Internet Explorer Browser.
- Move to the Tools and select Internet options.
- Next, tap on the Advanced tab.
- After that select the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes that can be found in the security.
- Click on Apply and OK to close the current window.
Method 8: Rectify System Time and Date
If the foregoing methods didn’t work out, you need to adjust the time and date on your PC. This might solve the issue. Follow the steps below:
- On your computer, right-click on the time in the extreme bottom-right corner of the taskbar.
- Hit on Adjust Date/Time.
- Inspect if the Time zone is correct. If not, then hit on Change Time zone.
- Choose your time zone and hit the Enter key.
- Now, check if the Time and date are correct. If they need adjustment, hit on Change date and time. Set the correct time and date and hit the Enter key.
- Now, re-open QuickBooks and check if the error code 12029 got fixed.
Alternate Solutions you can try to resolve QuickBooks error 12029
- Reset the QuickBooks updates and attempt to Download and install the QuickBooks update, after restarting the system. Also, ensure to open the company file in single-user mode.
- Reset the Internet explorer.
- Carry out a Clean install of QuickBooks in Selective startup mode.
- Here, you need to Reset the updates and then try to Download and install the QuickBooks update.
- Further, reboot the system and confirm that the company file is open in Single-user mode.
- Also, reset the Internet explorer.
- Lastly, in Selective startup mode, perform a Clean install of QuickBooks.
These methods can be carried out when none of the above methods worked in fixing the issue.
Professional guidance is just a call away!
So this brings us to the end of this article. We hope you find it informative and carrying out the troubleshooting steps that we have enlisted here helps you fix the issue. However, if the QuickBooks error message 12029 still exists or reappears by any chance, you can contact our QuickBooks error support team.
We comprise a team of certified professionals who work round the clock to provide our customers with the best possible solutions and avenues through their years of expertise and training. You can contact us through our dedicated support number i.e., 1-800-761-1787, and we will leave no stone unturned to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faq’s)
QuickBooks Error 12029 reflects an update error when the user tries to update QuickBooks Desktop.
The update errors that appear in QuickBooks can be resolved by implementing the following measures:
1st Measure: Checking the Internet connectivity and correcting Internet settings
2nd Measure: Installing the latest Digital Signature Certificate
3rd Measure: Correcting System time and date.
4th Measure: Configuring SSL settings.
Error 12029 shows up in the form of the following message:
“[Error 12029]. QuickBooks is failed to receive the IP address or servers.”
Similar articles you might like: