Learn the possible ways to Resolve error 12029 and other when downloading payroll or QuickBooks Desktop updates:
Were you trying to update your QuickBooks Payroll software and received QuickBooks payroll update error 12029? Let us tell you that it isn’t a rare issue, and the good thing is that it’s fixable. QuickBooks is one of the most compelling software, but the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be denied. While working on this software, users encounter various errors, which can be pretty much frustrating at times to tackle. There can be a wide range of factors that might trigger this error. Keeping all the factors in mind, we have created this blog post where we are going over the various causes, solutions, and other facts associated with this update error. Read this blog till the end, and you will be able to fix error code 12029 by yourself.
However, if you are not comfortable performing any of the solutions provided in this article, then do not waste your precious time and call our helpline, i.e. 1(800)761-1787. Our QuickBooks payroll experts and certified professionals are available round-the-clock to help you fix any accounting-related errors.
What is QuickBooks error code 12029?
Before we tell you about the troubleshooting ways to fix QuickBooks Error 12029, let’s take a couple of minutes to learn its causes and nature. QuickBooks error code 12029 is basically a network time-out error, which means the accounting software is not getting an IP address, and the servers are connected through a weak connection. This error occurs when the backend servers are unable to revert to QuickBooks within the allotted time interval. Another common situation when this issue pops up on the screen is when you try to update QuickBooks desktop or payroll. As we already said, multiple reasons may cause this error code, a few of which are enlisted further in this article.
Triggers to QuickBooks error code 12029
Now that we have explored the basic information regarding the QuickBooks error code 12029, it is now time to find out what leads to this error code. It should be noted that there are internal as well as external factors that might lead to this kind of error. Let us have a look at both of the causes one by one.
- The very first external cause of Error code 12029 is downloading the QuickBooks payroll update.
- Your firewall or internet security obstructing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- If the default browser is not set a Internet explorer.
- In case your internet plans have expired, then get ready to face this issue.
- Incorrect SSL settings.
- One of the most common internal cause behind this error can be that the QuickBooks software itself fails to connect to the internet.
- If there are other connection issues in QuickBooks.
- In case the server is blocked, then this error code can be encountered.
- QuickBooks update timeout can also be one of the common internal causes.
Read this Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 7149 (Runtime Error)?
Methods to fix the QuickBooks error code 12029
There can be a plenty of methods to fix the QuickBooks error code 12029 that can be implanted by you with much ease. Let us check out each of the methods one by one.
Method 1: Testing connectivity and settings
It should be noted that the Internet explorer is used by QuickBooks software to access the internet, which makes it important for you to set the internet explorer as the default browser. So, you need to carry out the steps below:
- At first, close the QuickBooks software and then open the Microsoft IE.
- And then visit the tools tab or press Alt Key.
- Next, open the Internet options and spot the security tab.
- Once done with that, search for the globe symbol and then tap on the same in the security tab window.
- You need to ensure that the security level is set to medium high.
- Now, look for the connections tab.
- And then if the dial up node is not used, select the never dial a connection. Or if you uses the dial up node, then choose correct internet service provider.
- Tap on OK and then move to the LAN settings.
- Look for the automatically detect settings tab.
- And then, look for the proxy server checkbox.
- Now hit on OK and then move to the advanced tab.
- After that select the restore advanced settings.
- And then pick TLS 1.2 and hit OK button.
- End the process by closing internet explorer and rebooting the system.
- First of all, download and run the TLS 1.2 utility.
- And then, find out whether the is set as the default browser or not.
The point to be noted here is that, if you are unable to access a secure website outside QuickBooks, then you might be needed consult a computer or IT expert.
Method 2: Checking the security settings (Antivirus and Firewall)
In case the above method failed to work, it is recommended to determine whether another application is preventing the download or not. This issue might occur due to the antivirus or the firewall settings. As sometimes, the security software blocks the software from connecting to the server. In such a case, you are required to check and fix the settings, so that they can favor the payroll update process in QuickBooks. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Initially, you have to download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official Intuit website.
- And then, save it somewhere on the desktop, followed by running the tool.
- In the next step, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will automatically configure the firewall and open the ports.
- The last step in this process is to check whether the error is fixed or not.
You may also read: How to resolve QuickBooks error code 6123?
Method 3: Installing or updating QuickBooks desktop security certificate
- To begin with, hit a right click on the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and then click on the Properties option.
- Once done with that, click open file location under the shortcut tab and then hit OK button.
- Next, do a right click on the QuickBooks.exe file and then hit the Properties option.
- Now choose the QuickBooks option from the list and click on the details option present under the digital signatures tab.
- After that, hit a click on the View certificate option and then hit install certificate option from the general tab.
- Now, make sure to set the current user, as the store location, under the certificate import wizard window, followed by hitting Next.
- And then, hit a click on Next and finish option respectively.
- To end the process, click on OK tab, and you are good to go.
Method 4: Authenticate Internet Connectivity
- The first step in this process is to open Internet Explorer and then access any safe website such as www.google.com.
- After that, if the website is accessed without any issue, then only you are recommended to carry out the steps below.
- Next, check the internet connection for any mis-configurations.
- Once done with that, ensure that the time and date of the system are correct.
- And then, open the internet explorer, followed by clicking on Tools at the top, and then select the internet options.
- Now, hit a click on the Reset/Restore defaults, under the Advanced tab.
- After that, hit apply and OK options respectively.
- The last step is to run the update for QuickBooks desktop and payroll and then check the status of QuickBooks error 12029.
Read this also: How to rebuild and verify date in QuickBooks desktop?
Method 5: Open up windows in safe mode and the update
It should be noted that starting windows in safe mode can help the QuickBooks users in fixing the QuickBooks error 12029. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard.
- And then, move to the update and security and then click on the same.
- Next step is to hit a click on the recovery option, followed by moving on to the Advanced startup.
- Now, make sure to carry out the instructions carefully and then select appropriately to reboot the system.
- During restarting the system, you will witness an option to open the system in safe mode with networking.
- And to end the process, check if the error still persists.
Method 6: Re-configure QuickBooks payroll and Reboot the updates
You can reconfigure QuickBooks payroll and reboot the updates, if none of the other methods worked. The steps involved in here are:
- Unplug the wireless router or the internet switch and then wait for around 10 seconds.
- After that, turn on the wireless router or internet switch and check the internet latency now.
- Now open the QuickBooks and then company file.
- Once done with that press Ctrl + K keys from the keyboard.
- Followed by clicking on edit option.
- And then un-checking the open payroll setup.
You will have to wait till the process ends, and the payroll updates will continue on their own.
Method 7: Configuring SSL settings for internet explorer in QuickBooks
In case you are unable to update payroll, you can start QuickBooks and move to the help menu and select internet connection settings. And then, ensure that QuickBooks uses the internet connection of the system. Also, click on next and then advanced connection setting.
You need to check internet properties and then click on the advanced tab:
- Firstly you need to verify that the Use SSL 2.0 and use SSL 3.0 are verified.
- And then, choose the connect tab and then ok tab.
- Now, close the QuickBooks software and restart it.
- At last, hit a click on help menu and update now tab.
Configure SSL settings internet explorer outside of QuickBooks
- Initially, open Microsoft Internet Explorer Browser.
- And then, move to the tools and select Internet options.
- Next, tap on the advanced tab.
- After that, select the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes that can be found in the security.
- And lastly, click on Apply and OK to close the current window.
Alternate Solutions you can try
- Reset the QuickBooks updates and attempt to download and install the QuickBooks update, after restarting the system. Also ensure to open the company file in single-user mode.
- Reset the Internet explorer.
- You can also carry out a clean install of QuickBooks in selective startup mode.
These methods can be carried out, when none of the above methods worked in fixing the issue.
Professional guidance is just a call away!
So this brings us to the end of this article. We hope you find it informative, and carrying out the troubleshooting steps that we have enlisted here help you fix the issue. However, if the QuickBooks error code 12029 still exists or reappears by any chance, you can contact our QuickBooks error support team.
We boast a team of certified, tech-savvy professionals who work round the clock to provide our customers with the best possible solution through their years of experience and training. You can contact us at 1-800-761-1787 and we will be happy to help you.
Similar articles you might like: