An easy guide to understand about the TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks Desktop:
Being a QuickBooks user, have you ever heard of TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks desktop for windows. QuickBooks TLS 1.2 is basically an advanced internet security protocol. For any business, the security is the foremost priority, and it can’t be denied that a weak code can leak sensitive and confidential information can cause irrecoverable loss to the business. The sensitive information of every company can’t be compromised, which makes data security the primary concern. This is where TLS 1.2 comes into picture.
QuickBooks update its security standard on a regular basis and this security update the QuickBooks TLS 1.2 update. In today’s post, we are going to talk about the TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks desktop for windows. Thus, reading this post ahead can be of great assistance. For further information, we are here at your assistance. You can give us a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and discuss your queries with our professionals.
You might also see: Set up firewall and security settings for QuickBooks Desktop
Brief into TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks desktop
TLS basically stands for transport layout security and as mentioned above is a type of protocol that helps secure communication with internet. . Earlier, SSL/early TLS was QuickBooks desktop as an effective security protocol. It is changed from 1st of June, 2018. This change was made in order to meet the PCI data security standards. In order to provide greater security and stability, all the connections used by QuickBooks desktop to access Intuit services require to meet certain system requirements. In case the system requirements are not met, then it might affect the services which includes:
- All connected services such as payroll, payments, online banking etc.
- Also, QuickBooks desktop activation on a new system
- Password reset tool
- Services that need Intuit account credentials like My apps, secure webmail, contributed reports, etc.
- Intuit data protect
- Help pages
- Ordering checks and supplies
In case the user is not sure of the following requirements, then he/she can go for the TLS 1.2 Readiness tool. This will update the system to become TLS 1.2 compatible and ensure that it meets all windows operating system, internet explorer, and .NET requirements.
Consequences of not updating TLS 1.2
Intuit launched a security protocol that needs all the connection used by the QuickBooks software to fulfil specific requirements after May 31, 2018. This is just for stringent security and confirmed confidentiality of all the data that the user might fill in its QuickBooks. Inability to comply with the requirements might lead to further consequences which include:
- Affecting connected services like payroll, payments, online banking etc
- Hampering the activation of QuickBooks desktop on new system
- Issues in ordering checks and supplies
- VAT e-filing
- Or Intuit data protect feature might not work properly
- Services that require Intuit account credentials operate might be affected
- In case you lost the password, then there is no way back
System requirements for TLS 1.2
Do you know the system compatibility of TLS with your system? In order to prevent any issues with the services, the user needs to ensure that the software is up to date and also ensure that the system meets all the basic requirements. Let us explore the basic necessities to make the system compatible and ready for TLS 1.2:
The list of operating system that you might need include:
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows server 2017
QuickBooks desktop makes use of the features of internet explorer. Thus, the user needs to ensure to install Internet explorer 11, in order to have the latest updates Microsoft.
- Firstly, close QuickBooks
- And then, upgrade to IE 1.1
- Reopen QuickBooks desktop
The QuickBooks accounting software demands 4.5.2 or greater .Net framework. Here is the process to get an updated version.
- Downloading the .Net framework from Microsoft’s website
- And then save it to the desktop
- Followed by double click the file and carry out the onscreen prompts
- Lastly, reboot the system
Internet explorer group policy
In case the internet explorer group policy shows that the user has the correct Internet Explorer but the TLS 1.2 isn’t set up, then the user can follow the required steps.
The user might need to run the QuickBooks with elevated privileges. This is to ensure that the correct internet security settings are established. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- The very first thing is to close QuickBooks
- And then right click the QuickBooks icon
- Lastly, select run as admin
Steps to Avoid TLS 1.2 update errors
The user can successfully avoid TLS 1.2 errors, considering the following pointers.
- The user will be required to have the latest release of QuickBooks desktop version. The user needs to ensure that they have the fully up to date with the latest patches, always.
- The user might use Intuits TLS 1.2 readiness tool on any system with updated version of QuickBooks. This will help in finding out whether it is ready to use the security layer.
- If the tool indicates that the system is not ready, then the user needs to review the details and make the required changes
- Downloading the latest Internet explorer is also required
- Admin access and privileges is a must, to have the best internet security settings.
Steps for Resolving Errors Prompts related to TLS
When the user makes use of the QuickBooks desktop, he/she might face some error prompts. Here is how you can deal with this:
- You can contact an IT professional.
- The error might be prompted due to lack of privileges. The user needs to run the software as admin.
TLS 1.2 over SSL/Early TSL
If you are doubtful about the TLS 1.2 over SSL/Early TSL, here we have mentioned why you should go for TLS 1.2. The secure layer i.e. SSL was introduced by Netscape in 1990. The SSL and early TLS both have some gaps in them. Several times, via widespread POODLE and BEAST exploits, attackers have taken advantages of these gaps. The factor causing these vulnerabilities was the failure to update the SSL with time.
On the other hand, TLS has gone through a lot of revisions, which has made it better. They have been adding support for new cryptographic algorithms. The TLS 1.2 is more reliable than any other service present out there. Thus, the users are recommended to update to the latest QuickBooks desktop update for the TLS 1.2.
Read this also: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop
The information we have shared in above is expected to work up to a great extent when in comes to TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks desktop and related information. However, if you are looking for professional assistance, then you can contact our executives via our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787 and discuss your issue with our QuickBooks support team.
We are a group of experts and certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors, who work round the clock to provide the best possible assistance to QB users across the globe.