Learn how to Install and Use QuickBooks Desktop on Two Computers Simultaneously:
Many QuickBooks users have this query in their minds that whether they can install and use QuickBooks on two computers or not. Well, the answer to this query is ‘Yes‘, but you might have to follow a proper procedure to do that. You can install and use QuickBooks desktop on two computers with the help of multi-user mode features. It not only saves time, but also increases the productivity of the business. If you have a large number of employees, then the multi-user mode feature can be way too effective for you and can help you in providing every employee random access to the software. The procedure to install and use QuickBooks software involves multiple steps, which we will be exploring later in this post, so make sure to continue reading the post.
However, if you are short of time and seeking for professional assistance, then feel free to connect with our experts and discuss the issue with our technical support team. You can speak to our experts and certified professionals anytime and ask them to install and setup QuickBooks desktop on two computers for you.
Is it Possible to Install QuickBooks Desktop on Multiple Systems?
The answer to this query is YES, it is possible to install QuickBooks on multiple systems. You might require to install QuickBooks on multiple computers when the employees of the company demand random access to the software. As per the norms and regulations of Intuit, the QuickBooks user might install a single user license version on a system and also on a portable device, only when the user for both the devices are same.
Installing QuickBooks on additional systems, makes it mandatory for the user to buy additional licenses. It should be noted that you can only use up to five user licenses for QuickBooks pro and it comes with one license. The QuickBooks enterprise users have an upper hand in this case, as they have 10 licenses and permits up to 15 licenses.
You might also see: How to Reinstall QuickBooks PDF Converter?
Steps to Set up and Install QuickBooks Desktop on Two Computers
The steps involved in the process to install and use QuickBooks desktop on two computers are as follows:
Step 1: Setting up QuickBooks Desktop
On a multi-user network, the system hosts the company files. It is the server system, and all other systems connected to the network that doesn’t host the company files are known as workstations.
- The first step is to Download and Install QuickBooks desktop on the server system.
- And then click on Custom and Network Install for the install type.
- Next step is to click on I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this system option, And I’ll be storing… if you are having the required version of QuickBooks on the server system. Or if you merely wants the server system to host the files, then you need to click on “I will not be using QuickBooks desktop on this computer“.
- Followed by carrying out the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
It is recommended to keep the QuickBooks company files on the server system’s local hard drive. It will be easy for you to share them over the network.
Map Network drive in window
In case you wish to put the files on a mapped network drive, then the below steps can be carried out.
At the time of mapping network drive in Windows, you can get entrance to a folder that is stored in another drive, server, or computer over a network. You can easily access files from the shared storage through mapping. The steps might vary for different Windows versions namely:
For Windows 8/10/11:
- The initial step is to look for this PC option in a window search bar and then selecting This PC option.
- After that in the Computer tab option, opt for Map a network drive option.
- And then select any unused drive and select Browser.
- Followed by moving to the Network location where the company file is situated.
- And then click on OK tab.
- And reopen the QuickBooks company file.
For Windows 7:
- The initial step is to select Computer in the Start menu.
- And then select the Tools menu and then click on Map network drive. In case you are unable to spot the Tools menu, then you will have to press the Alt key to show the menu bar.
- Followed by selecting any unused drive letter and clicking on Browse tab.
- Moving ahead, visit the Network location where the QuickBooks company file is saved.
- In case you faces difficulty in Mapping network drive using UNC, then you can opt for IP address of the server.
- Next step is to select OK to finish. The new drive will seem in the previous window as a Network drive.
- After that, reopen the QuickBooks company file.
Step 2: Set or change folder permission
- You need to right click the Company file folder to select Properties tab.
- And then click on Advance and Security tab.
- After that select QBDataServiceUserXX and then click on Edit option.
- Ensure all given setting are allowed:
- Traverse Folder/ Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
In case the permissions aren’t set properly, you can follow the steps below:
- Right click the Company file folder and Properties.
- Click on Security option and select Edit tab.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX and click on Full control, after that hit Allow tab.
- The next step is to click on Apply option and hit OK tab.
Change folder permissions
- Open File explorer.
- And then move to the parent folder and select Properties.
The point to be noted here is that you need to process these steps for every folder on the list, but all the folders may not apply to each installation as they apply to a particular version of QuickBooks.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- On the Security tab, hit a click Everyone.
The point to be noted is that if everyone option is not listed in group or username box, then you need to select Add and type in Everyone and select OK tab.
- Select Full control and then choose Apply and OK tab.
- After that select Everyone and click on Security tab.
- And then clicking on Full control and clicking on Apply and OK tab.
Setting Windows access permissions to share company files
You need to ensure that QuickBooks has the right access permission that can help stop future issues while working with the company files across the network:
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- The first step is to click on Windows + E keys to open the File explorer.
- And then right click the Folder having company file.
- Followed by clicking on Properties option and then Sharing and share add options.
- Next step is to select the QBDataServiceUserXX that corresponds to the version.
- Now set the Permission level to access Full control over the file.
- Select the Folder and select Share.
- And then move to the Advanced security, followed by selecting Change, Advanced and find now options respectively.
- And after that select User and click on OK tab.
Grant full control
- At first choose the Folder and then Share option.
- After that move to the Advanced security option and then Add and select a principal.
- Next step is to click on Advanced option and then Find now option.
- Moving ahead, select The user and click OK tab.
- Lastly, select Full control and hit OK tab.
Step 3: Installing the QuickBooks database server manager
You need to use QuickBooks database server manager to verify an existing setup. In order to scan the company file in the system where the file is stored. You need to ensure that the database server manager is installed in the system. This helps users in sharing the company files with other systems over the network.
Step 4: Setting admin rights
Signing in with other user demands the account to have Windows admin rights and the database server manager has admin rights.
Step 5: Using database server manager
Once the QuickBooks database server manager is installed on the system to scan the folder having the company files, you will see the file in the QuickBooks company files found. After that, you can access the files in these folders via a network.
Step 6: Turning on Hosting
Now you need to turn on multi-user access on the server. You to ensure that the server system should be turned on. And then carry out the steps below:
- Move to the QuickBooks desktop and then move to the File menu and flutter over Utilities.
- Click on the Host multi-user access and click on Yes tab.
- Now you can easily Host the company files through the network.
See it also: Solution of QuickBooks Error Code 12157
With this we come to the end of this post, where we hope that the information shared in above might be of some help in installing and using QuickBooks desktop on more than one computer.
However, if you are unable to use the software even after following the above steps, or if you are facing sort of error, then feel free to call us anytime and get in touch with our QuickBooks desktop support team via our toll-free number i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our experts and certified accounting professionals will be happy to help you.
Other recommended topics: