Learn how to troubleshoot multi-user issues for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:
Multi-user mode is one the best features offered by QuickBooks accounting software. The QuickBooks software is designed in a way to be used in multi-user mode, which simply means multiple users can work on the software at a particular time. At times, there can be a situation that the user might face issues related to multi-user mode in QuickBooks for Mac. This is usually seen when the user tries to share a company file. If you are also facing difficulty regarding the same, then this post will help you in resolving the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac.
Moreover, if you feel the need of any technical assistance, then you can contact our U.S based certified professionals right away at 1-800-761-1787. Our accounting professionals will help you out in resolving the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac in the best possible way. Feel free to call us anytime, we will be happy to help you.
You may also like: Troubleshooting of QuickBooks Error code 6000, 83
Steps involved in fixing multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac
The steps involved in resolving the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac are as follows:
Step 1: Verifying QuickBooks server is running and the company file is shared or not
- In this particular method, the user needs to first click on go from an application
- After that, double click on the QuickBooks server app icon, that is used by the user
- And then, the user needs to share that file is needed
- In case the file is listed under not shared, then the user needs to choose the file or click on the start sharing tab
- If the file is not listed, then click on the + tab in the lower left corner to add the file.
In case only the host system gets permission to install and then run the QuickBooks server app. It is also important that the company file be saved on the same system and the QuickBooks server app installed on.
Step 2: Checking the Mac OS firewall settings
- The user needs to first click the apple menu to the desktop and also choose the system preferences
- After that, the user needs to select the security and privacy icon
- Followed by selecting the firewall tab
- And also, choose the firewall options tab
Also, in case the user spots the button to be gray than the user needs to click on lock icon to unlock it.
- The user needs to verify that the QuickBooks server app is set to allow incoming connections
Read Also: How to access QuickBooks desktop remotely?
Step 3: Verifying file sharing permissions are set correctly on the host system or not
- The user will now have to click on the apple menu and opt for the system preferences
- After that, choose the sharing icon
- The user will then have to tick the checkbox for file sharing, in case it is not checked
- Also, add that folder where the company file is situated in the share folder
- Opt for the + tab to the shared folder column
- And also, select the folder where the company file located and then hit on Add option
- After you enter in the users column, the user needs to ensure that the permission to read and write for everyone, or for the specific users who will be using QuickBooks desktop.
Step 4: Verifying that the Bonjour service is working properly on all systems or not
It is important to note that the windows multi-user fixing methods cannot be applied to the Mac networks. The process for Mac networks is:
- The user needs to select the file from the new finder window
- And then, be clear that the other systems using QuickBooks are seen is the shared section
In case the user is unable to see another system, then The software will not be able to share the file with those systems. Also, the bonjour needs the following ports to open 56565 TCP, 5297 TCP, 5298 TCP/UDP, and 5353 UDP.
Step 5: Testing the network configuration
If the QuickBooks and its server is already installed in the host system, then the user needs to unplug the ethernet cable, turn off and also reboot the system. Once the reboot opens the QuickBooks, the user needs to try enabling the multi-user mode. In case it enables successfully, then it means that the problem is generated by the network hardware that provides the network access. At times, the hardware cannot work by blocking the communication between QuickBooks and the server.
You may also like: How to tackle with QuickBooks error 6000, 80?
Step 6: Setting up the peer to peer direct connection
The user can also connect to systems together using a single ethernet cable.
- The user needs to log out both systems and plug each end of the cable into a system’s ethernet port
- When the system starts then the user needs to permit Bonjour service to see both the systems to each other. In order to verify that the new finder window and then see if each system can see the other in the shared section.
- Also, the user needs to pick one system as a host. The user will have to open file or enable the multi-user mode from a file or enable multi-user mode
- And then, open QuickBooks in the second system from the shared files section or open the company file
Important questions to answer (FAQ’s)
Que. Is the QuickBooks server running when the system goes into sleep mode?
Ans. This can be seen again by changing the system preferences: The user needs to select application from energy saver. Also consider that setting the system sleep to never.
Que. Is any of the network settings on your computer or QuickBooks server computer change?
Ans. The user needs to be clear that QuickBooks server is sharing the company file or avoid changing the network settings, when the file is shared. The user needs to note if self-managing a DNS server that the correct DNS settings exist on all the workstations.
Que. Did the system use wifi?
Ans. The connection to the QuickBooks server might have been loose due to a weak signal. The user is recommended to use a strong wi-fi signal or consider using an ethernet connection.
We end this article over here, with the hope that the information shared in above might be of some help in resolving the QuickBooks multi-user issue in QuickBooks for Mac. However, if the issue persists even after following the steps above, then we recommend you consult our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team at 1-800-761-1787. Our experts and certified accounting professionals will be happy to help you.