Learn how to troubleshoot multi-user issues for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:
Multi-user mode is one of the best features offered by the QuickBooks software. The QuickBooks Desktop is designed in a way to make it accessible in the multi-user mode. It infers that multiple users can take leverage of the software at the same time. However, sometimes, you might face technical issues related to the multi-user mode in QuickBooks for Mac. Such snags usually occur when you try to share a company file. If you are also facing similar technical intricacy, then this post will assist you in resolving the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac.
However, there are chances that you might not have a firm grip over technical aspects or are looking for technical assistance to resolve these errors quickly. In that case, you can contact our U.S based certified professionals immediately at 1-800-761-1787. Our experts will help you rectify the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac in the best possible way.
Important points to consider
Before marching forwards, it is crucial to keep certain things in consideration. Let us have a look:
Did the system running QuickBooks server go on sleep mode?
In order to keep the system from going into sleep mode, you simply need to change your preferences. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Choose System preferences, and then opt for Energy saver.
- You are then required to choose the Energy preferences option and, afterward, close the window.
Did any of the network settings on the system or the QuickBooks server computer change?
If that is the case, then you need to ascertain that the QuickBooks server is sharing the company file and also avoid changing the network settings. In order to check the settings, you need to perform the steps below:
- Choose System preferences option, followed by selecting the Network tab.
- Furthermore, if the settings are correct, then make sure to Close the window. Just in case you need to make updates, then proceed with your changes and choose the Apply tab.
Is your system using WIFI?
The connection to the QuickBooks server is obstructed due to a weak signal. You need to move to an area with a seamless WIFI signal or choose an ethernet connection.
You may also like: Solution to QuickBooks Unable to Locate PDF Viewer Error
Steps involved in fixing multi-user issues in QuickBooks desktop for Mac
The steps to resolve the multi-user issues in QuickBooks for Mac are enumerated below:
Step 1: Verify if the QuickBooks server is running and if the company file is shared
- In this method, you need to choose on Go from an application.
- Subsequently, double-click on the QuickBooks server app icon that you used.
- After that you need to Share that file.
- In case the file is listed under not shared, then choose the File or hit on the Start sharing tab.
- If the file is Not listed, then hit on the + tab in the lower left corner to Add the file.
- In case only the host system gets permission to install and then run the QuickBooks server app. It is also important that the company file is saved on the same system on which the QuickBooks server app got installed.
Step 2: Checking the Mac OS firewall settings
- Initially, you need to click on the Apple menu on the desktop and subsequently, choose the System preferences option.
- Afterward, choose the Security and privacy icon.
- Follow it up by selecting the Firewall tab and then choosing the Firewall options tab.
In case you spot the button to be gray than you need to click on theLock icon to unlock it.
- Now, verify that the QuickBooks server app is set to allow incoming connections.
Read Also: How to access QuickBooks desktop remotely?
Step 3: Verify if the file sharing permissions are set correctly on the host system
- Initially, you will now have to click on the Apple menu and opt for the System preferences.
- After that choose the Sharing icon.
- Next, tick the checkbox beside File sharing.
- Add the folder where the company file is located in the share folder.
- Head to the + tab to the shared folder column.
- Choose the Folder where the company file is located and then hit on Add option.
- After that, enter the users’ column and check whether the permission to Read and write is set for everyone or for the Specific users who will be using the QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 4: Verifying that the Bonjour service is working properly on all systems
It is pertinent to note that Windows multi-user fixing methods cannot be applied to the Mac networks. The process for Mac networks is given below:
- You need to first choose the File from the new finder window.
- Afterward, ensure that the other systems using QuickBooks are seen is the shared section.
If you cannot see another system, then the software will not be able to share the file with those systems. Also, the Bonjour needs the following ports to open : 56565 TCP, 5297 TCP, 5298 TCP/UDP, and 5353 UDP.
You may also like: Renew or Reactivate QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription
Step 5: Test your network configuration
If you have QuickBooks and its server already installed in the host system, then unplug the ethernet cable, turn it off, and reboot the system. Once the reboot opens the QuickBooks desktop, try enabling the multi-user mode.
If it enables successfully, then, it indicates that the problem got generated due to the network hardware providing the network access. Sometimes, the hardware cannot work by blocking the communication between QuickBooks and the server.
Step 6: Set up the peer-to-peer direct connection
You can also connect to systems together using a single ethernet cable.
- In the inception, You need to log-out both the systems and Plug each end of the cable into a system’s ethernet port.
- When the system starts, you need to permit Bonjour service to see both systems see each other. Choose Verify in the new finder window and see if each system can see the other in the shared section. Also you need to pick one system as a host.
- Now, to Open file or enable the multi-user mode from a file or enable Multi-user mode.
- Finally, open QuickBooks in the second system from the shared files section or open the company file.
We end this article with the hope that the above-illustrated information might be of some help in fixing the QuickBooks multi-user issue in QuickBooks for Mac. However, if the problem perpetuates even after following the steps above, then we recommend you consult our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team at 1-800-761-1787. Our U.S based accounting experts and certified accounting professionals will be happy to help you.
Important questions to answer (FAQ’s)
Ans. This can be seen again by changing the system preferences: You needs to select application from energy saver. Also consider that setting the system sleep to never.
Ans. You need to be clear that QuickBooks server is sharing the company file or avoid changing the network settings, when the file is shared. Please note if self-managing a DNS server that the correct DNS settings exist on all the workstations.
Ans. The connection to the QuickBooks server might have been loose due to a weak signal. You are recommended to use a strong wi-fi signal or consider using an ethernet connection.