Get the easy methods to resolve QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server problem:
Have you stumbled upon QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server error and don’t know what to do? Well, if yes, then continue reading the article and unleash the process to fix this issue. QuickBooks is a powerful software and easy to use financial management system. Multi-user mode is one such feature of QuickBooks that enables businesses to scale up users in order to simultaneously work in a company file. To use multi-user access a normal PC is setup as a host or a dedicated server is deployed. QuickBooks database server manager is the component that turns the hosting on and bridges QuickBooks workstations to communicate with the company file.
Many times, QuickBooks is unable to connect the remote server, especially when the workstation is unable to access the company file. As a result of QB connectivity issues, the user cannot communicate with the QuickBooks company file. There are numerous other factors that lead to QuickBooks unable to connect the remote server issue, which we will be discussing later in this post. This error comes up with an error message stating
“Can’t communicate with QuickBooks server”
“QuickBooks desktop unable to connect to the remote server”
“QuickBooks server and workstation communication problems”.
To know further details of the error, along with the causes and fixes, the user should continue reading the post. However, if you feel the error to be too technical for you, then give us a call immediately on our toll-free support number i.e. 1-888-291-2294. Our QuickBooks error support experts and certified accounting professionals will help you out and resolve the issue for you.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks POS Error 193?
Causes of QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server
As we said before, there can be a couple of factors due to which this error could trouble the users, out of which the common ones are listed below:
- The very first reason can be if there is an issue with the QuickBooks file hosting or permissions
- Or when the QuickBooks database server manager is not working on the server
- Another possible reason could be if the local area network is not in the active state
- The user could face the same issue if there is not a proper set-up of the QuickBooks server
- Any third-party firewall can also be one such factor
- Outdated QuickBooks version can be another cause
- In case there is a halt in the connection of the QuickBooks server, the user will have to suffer such an error.
Methods to resolve QuickBooks unable to connect to remote server error
The user can implement a variety of methods to get rid of such an error, which includes the ones listed below. Let us check them out together.
Method 1: Resetting Internet explorer settings to default
- In this method, the user needs to first open the internet explorer browser
- And then, click on the tools menu or the gear icon
- After that, navigate to the internet options
- Also, click on the advanced tab and then click on the restore advanced settings
- The next step is to click on the OK tab and also close the browser
- Now check if the error persists, and you are done with the process.
Method 2: Checking settings webmail preferences
- For this process, the user will have to navigate to the QuickBooks edit menu and also select preferences
- Also, choose send forms on the left pane
- And then, select the email account being used and then click on edit, under My preferences
- The next step is to move to the SMTP server details section and then set the server name and port to the email provider settings in the edit email info screen
- The last step in the process is to set up email service in QuickBooks for a list of SMTP server and ports
Related article: How to Setup and Configure Email Services in QuickBooks?
Method 3: Creating the network data file (.ND file)
- To begin with, the user needs to press the Windows key once
- And then, type in QuickBooks database server manager
- After that, select the database server manager
- Also, in case you cannot find the QuickBooks database server manager in the program list, then you might need to uninstall and reinstall QB
- Followed by confirming the installation process
- Now, in the QuickBooks database server manager window and browser to the location of the folder containing the company file, the user will have to click add folder.
- The next step is to click on scan now when all the folder is added
- And also scan QB company files
- At the end of the process, make sure to verify that .nd files are created for each data file.
Method 4: Validating QuickBooks desktop file hosting
The user can validate the QuickBooks desktop file hosting services, as they might conflict between the server and workstations. The steps involved are:
Step 1: Turning off hosting on all workstations
- For this, the user needs to go to the QuickBooks file menu and select utilities
- And also, select the stop hosting multi-user access
- And if you see host multi-user access instead of stop hosting multi-user access, then confirm it by pressing yes.
Step 2: Turning on hosting on the server computer
- In this method, the user should first click on the Windows key and then type Windows task manager and then click on enter
- After that, click on the more details of the task manager windows
- And also, select the services tab and place QBBDBMgrN.exe from the list
- Followed by, pressing Windows + R keys to verify the file
- The next step is to open the run box and then type services.msc and click on OK
- Now, the user needs to press Q to find the QBDBMgrN.exe
- And lastly, start the service and select the automatic start option
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 77?
Method 5: Updating QuickBooks to the latest release
- The user is recommended to update QuickBooks to the latest release, by clicking on the help menu and then clicking on update QuickBooks desktop
- After that, click on the options tab and also select mark all option
- The next step is to click on update now tab and also wait to get updates
- Lastly, the user should close QuickBooks and reboot the system.
Method 6: Organizing QuickBooks database server manager
- This is the last message, in which the user needs to type QuickBooks database server manager
- And then, open the QuickBooks database server manager and remove the existing folders
- The next step is to add the QuickBooks company file folder in the database manager
- And towards the end, scan the folder and make the notes of the errors in database server manager.
Similar article: Resolve QuickBooks failed to create accountant’s copy error
This drives us towards the end of the article, where we expect that after implementing the measures and methods above, the user might be able to get rid of the error easily. If in case, the QuickBooks user is till unable to connect to the remote server, then it is highly recommended to immediately look for technical assistance.
More helpful topics: