Getting your Operating system updated is extremely necessary, especially when you want to leverage the latest features rolled out by Microsoft. When looked at from a different facet, going for a Windows update is, in fact, indispensable because it safeguards you from a myriad of technical errors witnessed by users while working on different software, with QuickBooks being one among them. One negative impact of using an out-to-date system encountered by QB users is the error message that states the message: Windows Updates not Installed. You need to install the latest Windows to keep QuickBooks running smoothly.
However, some users of QuickBooks have been encountering this error even though their Windows is already updated to the latest release. In either case, this article will be your guide and will enlighten you with all the steps you need to oust this error from your system.
It is recommended that you go through the guidelines provided in this article with the utmost attention and accordingly resort to the implementation of the troubleshooting methods. If you want our certified experts to get this error resolved, then you can get in direct contact with our QB professionals via the helpline mentioned at the end of this troubleshooting walkthrough.
A depiction of the Windows not installed error in QuickBooks
This error, as already mentioned, can occur for a variety of different reasons. It usually shows up abruptly while users perform their usual accounting operations in QuickBooks. As such, it obstructs the user from proceeding any further, thereby leading to unwanted delays in work submission. This annoying error has mostly been reported by users who are using QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or Desktop Enterprise 18.0. However, this does not imply that the other versions are immune to it. If you are also troubled by this error message, then keep reading on!
Major Causes that provoke Windows updates not Installed error in QuickBooks
Although the error is usually caused due to an out-to-date operating system, there may be other factors contributing to it. These are enlisted as follows:
- The Microsoft components, which form a necessary prerequisite for the seamless functioning of QuickBooks, may be damaged. These constitute the C++ , MSXML and the .NET Framework. Any damage or corruption caused in their files can potentially lead to this QuickBooks error.
- The components of the Windows installer may be missing or damaged, thereby instigating the Windows updates not installed error.
- System-related files, particularly the ones pertaining to the Windows updates, may be damaged or corrupted due to various reasons, including a virus attack.
- Some recent software-related changes in your system may also instigate this error. To resolve this, you should go for system restore (explained later in this article).
You might also like: Fix QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost Error Message
Convenient Methods for Fixing Windows Updates not Installed Warning in QuickBooks
This section entails all the viable measures that users can perform in order to fix the QuickBooks Warning Windows Updates not Installed. If you face any issue while performing the troubleshooting steps, feel no hesitation in calling our certified experts. Before proceeding with the first method, make sure to close all other open applications in the background and also disable your antivirus and firewall temporarily till you conclude with all the troubleshooting methods.
1st Method: Repairing the Microsoft .NET Framework
As already emphasized, the effective functioning of the QuickBooks program is ensured by the Microsoft components. One principle method of fixing the Windows updates not installed error in QuickBooks is by getting the .NET Framework repaired.
- In the beginning, you need to visit the Control Panel via the Start menu. As a quick measure, simply type in Control in the Search box and then hit on the Control Panel icon to open it.
- Now, you need to look for Programs and features option and click on the same. Now, advance to Turn Windows Features on or off.
- From the long list, you are required to opt for .NET Framework.
- All you need to do is enable .NET Framework 4.5. Similarly, enable .NET Framework SP1.
- If these options are already check-marked, then you should turn them off. After turning them off, restart the system and then again turn them on.
- To save the final changes, hit on OK tab.
- Once these components have been enabled, you should restart QuickBooks and check if the software is working without showing up any Windows update-related error. If the error still pervades, then you should follow the next method (involving the repairing of the MSXML component).
2nd Method: Get the MSXML component repaired
If the Windows Updates not installed error still keeps persisting even after repairing the .NET Framework, then you should consider repairing the MSXML component as well, the steps for which are explained below. Unlike the repair process of the .NET framework, MSXML can be easily repaired via a simple command to be entered in the command prompt window.
- The initial step in this process involves opening the Run window by pressing and holding together the Windows key, followed by the R key.
- When you see the Run window on the screen, you need to access the Command prompt by typing cmd in the Run box and then hit on the Ok tab.
- The command prompt window (a black screen with a blinking cursor) shows on the screen.
- You just need to type in the command ‘’regsvr32 MSXML6.dll’’ within the command prompt window and then hit the Enter key.
- If you do not have the latest versions of the Microsoft components set up on your system, then make sure to get them installed from the official website of Microsoft.
3rd Method: Updating the Windows Operating system
If you haven’t updated your Windows in a while, then you should get it updated at the earliest. The steps are different for different Windows O/S. Choose the appropriate steps for the operating system installed on your computer.
For Windows 7 users:
- Hit on the Start button and then simply type Update in the search bar. Now, look for Windows update and double-click on the same.
- Now, head forward to the Check for updates option.
- Choose all the essential updates and then start the update process.
- Once downloaded, restart your computer and let the updates get installed automatically.
For Windows 8 users:
- Tap on Search in the bottom right corner and search for Update.
- Navigate to Windows Update and opt for the Check for updates option.
- Check-mark the updates and then start the download process.
How to Fix Issues Encountered While Updating Windows?
If you are unable to update your Windows, then it is recommended that you reboot your system in the Selective startup (Safe) mode. Implement the procedure given below:
- You need to first press the Start button or simply hit on the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Now, type MSConfig, followed by pressing the Enter key.
- In the System Configuration Window that gets displayed, you need to hit the box beside the Selective Startup Mode. Then, click on Apply tab.
- Now, go for a restart your system. The Advanced Boot options will now show up, wherein you need to choose Safe mode with Networking.
- Once the Desktop screen shows up, follow the procedure for updating Windows once again and check if the updates get installed successfully this time around.
- Once you are done with the process of downloading the updates, again type MSConfig in the Search box and now choose the Normal startup mode.
- Restart your computer and let the updates install.
- Wait for the process to conclude. Once it is finished, restart the QuickBooks program once again to check the effectiveness of this troubleshooting method.
See it Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 1335?
The methods of troubleshooting the Windows updates not installed error, as mentioned in this article, should be of considerable help towards the process of fixing this error. If you feel a need for expert assistance, you can directly consult our U.S Based certified accounting professionals using our QuickBooks enterprise support helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787, who will make sure that all your queries get resolved.
More helpful topics: