QuickBooks error 61686 is an installation error encountered while installing or updating QuickBooks Desktop. Notably, the installation of the QuickBooks program requires a seamless functioning of the Microsoft components, including the .NET Framework. Any damage caused to this component can prevent access to the web-based applications as well as QuickBooks installation.
In this comprehensive article, we shall be discussing the various facets associated with QuickBooks Error code 61686 and shall also brief you on all the viable solutions to fix QuickBooks error message 61686. For live expert assistance, you can call our experts anytime at the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.
How does this QuickBooks Error 61686 Shows Up?
The QuickBooks Error 61686 typically shows in the form of error messages given below:
|Warning 1||‘’ The installer encountered an error when running “Drive:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Premier\QBooks” /quiet /norestart INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2011″ QB LICENSENUM=####-####-####-###’’|
|Warning 2||Location: “C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Premier\QBooks\windowsinstaller-kb93803.exe ” EXEAdapter Error: InstallExe method received the system error from CreateProCess , command – “C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Premier\QBooks\windowsinstaller-kb93803.exe” /quiet /norestart INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2011″ QB LICENSENUM=####-####-####-###|
Major Contributory Causes Behind QuickBooks EXEAdapter Error 61686
The potential factors that may instigate this installer error 61686 when installing QuickBooks desktop are given as follows:
- Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows might be out-to-date or corrupted.
- A recent Installer related alteration may have caused a misconfiguration in the Windows Registry.
- A virus intrusion or some unauthorized third-party program might have removed installer files.
- Inadvertent removal of Framework.xml file can lead to this QuickBooks error.
What are the Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 61686?
Follow this section all the way to the end and perform the steps under each method carefully to resolve this error 61686 when installing QuickBooks.
Method 1: Getting M.S .NET Framework repaired
One of the major and common causes of QuickBooks error 61686 is a broken .NET Framework as such, it becomes indispensable to repair this Microsoft component. The same can be repaired by adhering to the steps given below:
- To start off, make sure to close all running programs on the computer, including QuickBooks Desktop.
- After that, head to the Start menu.
- Within the start menu, you are supposed to type “Control Panel“, followed by hitting the Enter key.
- The Control Panel Window will pop up.
- Now, advance to Programs and Features and click on the option to Uninstall a Program.
- Now, pick the option to turn on or off the Windows features.
- Choose .NET Framework.
- You need to check the settings for .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) and.NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
- For .NET Framework 4.5 (or later), just hit on the checkbox next to .NET Framework 4.5 or later to turn it on.
- Soon after, click on Ok.
- However, if the checkbox for .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) is already checked, just uncheck the box and click on Ok.
- Now, restart the system as an admin and again turn on Framework 4.5.
- Now, try installing QuickBooks or if the issue occurs while updating the program, retry the update process.
- Lastly, check whether QuickBooks error 61686 is fixed or not. If not, go through the next solution.
Method 2: Rename the Framework.xml file
The steps to rename the framework file are given as under:
- You are initially required to visit the QuickBooks folder. This folder will be available in the temporary folder, as your previous installation was incomplete/unsuccessful due to such error.
- First, open the Run window by hitting the Windows and R keys.
- The “Run” Window will appear. Herein, enter “Temp” and hit the Enter key.
- The folder containing all the Temporary files/folders will appear on your screen.
- Herein, look for the QBooks folder and open it.
- Within this folder, search for the Framework.xml file.
- After locating the file, right-click the Framework.xml file and click on Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name.
- The next step requires downloading a new Framework.xml file from the internet.
- Upon downloading the file, move it to the QBooks folder.
- Try installing QuickBooks once again and double-check to see if QuickBooks Error 61686 still troubles you.
Method 3: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool has the potential to resolve issues existing in the Microsoft Components, including .NET Framework. The tool can be easily downloaded from the official website of Intuit. You should follow the instructions given as under for convenience:
- First of all, you need to download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from Intuit.
- Soon after, start installing the tool by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
- Now, open the tool and start the repair process.
Method 4: Updating Windows
An obsolete Windows operating system can also offer grounds for QuickBooks Error message 61686. This is primarily due to out-to-date features and incompatibility of the technically intricate programs, including QuickBooks, with old versions of Windows. It is, as such, recommended to keep updating your Windows as soon as a new update rolls out. The steps to update Windows are given as under:
- To open the Run window, press Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel into the text box in the Run window and press Enter key.
- Find the Control panel and click Windows Update, or type “Windows Update” into the search box at the top.
- Open Windows Update and click the “Check for Updates” button.
- If Windows finds updates, download them and click “Install Now” to install them.
- After Windows has finished installing updates, restart the computer and try updating the QuickBooks Desktop application again.
Related Article: How to Open a Company File Located On a Remote Computer?
Having gone through the potential methods for resolving QuickBooks Error 61686, we hope that you found this article helpful. If you still get marred by any issue while implementing the walkthrough contained herein, just give us call at the 24/7 QuickBooks error support helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.