Learn the process of creating invoices in QuickBooks desktop and online:
Are you seeking for ways to create an invoice in QuickBooks desktop? Well, if yes, then you have landed on the right place. Crafting an invoice is one of the essential or key document required to be developed for a business. The businesses and entrepreneurs are required to manage their cash flows in the most appropriate manner. Saving money and simplifying the process of invoicing is possible with the help of QuickBooks. Invoices are basically used to record sales transactions from customers who make no or partial payment at the time of sale. In simple words, you can manage the account receivables with the help of invoices.
The QuickBooks accounting software has a feature to create invoice and also the document given to the buyer to collect the payment, which makes QuickBooks one of the most compelling accounting software. You might generally look for the process to create invoice in QuickBooks, as it might invoice certain steps. In today’s blog post, we are going to discuss the process in detail. Thus, make sure to stay connected to the article till the end. Moreover, an alternative for the same can be to get in touch with our QuickBooks support team. Help is available 24/7 by our certified accounting experts.
What is an invoice?
Well, an invoice is a promise to pay. It is basically an asset for the seller and a liability to the buyer. Invoice creation is a part of the routine accounts receivable workflow in QuickBooks. The invoice is used for recording the sales transactions from customers that haven’t made the payment upfront or had made partial payments. There are different ways in which an invoice can be created on QuickBooks. This depends upon the type of the transaction made with the client.
You may also like: Steps to Fix Error: QuickBooks unable to create accountant’s copy
Why you should create invoices in QuickBooks desktop?
Creating an invoice can help you in:
- Easily sending email invoices to the customers directly from QuickBooks.
- It updates financial statements in real time.
One important thing that people should take into consideration is to ensure having all the required details to create invoices before beginning with the process.
How beneficial is crafting invoices in QuickBooks?
There is a huge list of benefits of creating invoices in QuickBooks. Let us have a look at the list below:
- Maintaining legal records of sale.
- Payment tracking on both seller and buyer’s end.
- Legal safety, as it acts as a legal proof.
- Simple tax filing, recording all sale invoices guarantees the right amount being paid.
- Business data, gathers essential data.
Steps for Creating an invoice from scratch in QuickBooks
For the ones who do not require creating sales orders or estimates, then A/R workflow begins from creating the invoice. The steps to be followed are:
- Select create invoices from the home screen or the customers menu.
- After that, from the customer job drop down, you need to select the customer or customer job. In case the customer or job is not on the list yet, you can select the add new option.
- Followed by filling in the relevant information at the top of the form such as the date invoice #, Bill to/Sold to, and terms.
- Next step is to choose the items. It should be noted that the when you choose or adds an item, the description and amount are populated based on the description and unit cost entered when it was set up that too on its own. You can also delete or modify this while creating invoices.
- This step is not mandatory, as if you wish to apply for a discount, you will have to create a discount item.
- You need to move to the list menu form the home screen.
- And then, select item list.
- Followed by right clicking anywhere, followed by selecting new.
- Next, choose the type drop down and then select discount.
- Moving ahead, you need to enter the item name/number and a brief description.
- In the amount or % field, you need to enter the discount amount or percentage. In case the discount amount varies, you will have to leave the amount or percent field blank and then enter the amount directly on the sales forms.
- You will then have to select the income account to be used to track discounts from the account drop-down.
- And then, you will have to choose an appropriate tax code for the item.
- Also choose OK button.
- And end the process by selecting save and close.
See it also: Recover lost data with QuickBooks auto data recovery
Steps to Creating invoice for sales order
If you have created a sales order, then create an invoice. This can be done in two ways:
From sales orders window
- Initially, select create invoice tab, on the sales order main tab.
- And then, when the prompt appears, you need to select:
- Select create invoice for all the sales orders to add all items from the sales order to the invoice.
- And then select the create invoice for select items, in case to put only some of the items on the invoice.
- Make important changes in the invoice. It should be noted that, in the list of items, enter a quantity in the to invoice column for each item. In case you do not wish to invoice any of the listed items, then enter 0 as the quantity.
- Final step is to select save and close.
From the invoice window
- You need to select create invoices from the home screen.
- And then select a customer or customer job. After which the available sales order window will appear.
- After that, you will have to select one or more sales orders that have items to include in the invoice.
- You should make essential changes in the invoices. It should be noted that in the list of items, you will have to enter a quantity in the To Invoice column for each item. In case you didn’t want to invoice any of the listed items, then enter 0 as the quantity.
- And lastly. Select save and close.
Steps for Creating invoice for an Estimate
When the customer accepts the estimates and agrees to pay a fixed amount, you can turn the entire estimate into an invoice.
From the estimate window
- You should first open the correct estimate.
- And then select create invoice at the top of the estimate form.
- After that, if you have progress invoicing turned on, then a prompt might appear asking the items and quantities to put on the invoice. Specify what to include as prompted.
- And then, you will have to edit the information as needed.
- And to end the process, select save and close.
From the invoice window
- To begin with, select create invoices from the home screen.
- And then select customer or customer job on the customer job drop down.
- Now you need to select the estimate the user wishes to include in the invoice. You should note that QuickBooks will only permit to select one estimate to invoice. Also, note that if you have progress invoicing turned on, then you might get a prompt asking what you want to have on the invoice. Being a user, one can simply specify what to include as prompted.
- And after that, edit the information as required.
- Lastly, select save and close.
Steps to create invoice for the first time
If you are creating your very first invoice, then make sure to carry out the steps below:
- The first step is to create invoice, by clicking the send your first invoice from the invoicing area present on the dashboard.
- And then, choose the customer you are invoicing and add the details. Or just click save.
- Next step is to select the payment terms.
- Enter the product or service sold and click on add.
- After that, email the invoice to the customer.
- Followed by clicking on print or preview and then close when done.
- The next step is to customer the look, by clicking on customize and then edit current.
- You will then have to select the logo file to be added.
- And then change the invoice template, followed by saving the invoice when done.
- After that set up online payments and click on get set up.
- Now, send the invoice, by clicking on save and send.
- And lastly, customize the email and send it.
Today’s article was entirely focused on the different processes to create an invoice in QuickBooks desktop. We hope that the information we have shared in above might have helped you in some or the other way. However, in case of any query, or if you feel the need of technical assistance, you can simply ring up at our helpline i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and let our experts carry out the process for you.
We are team of certified QuickBooks enterprise support team and industries best accounting professionals with years of experience and expertise, and we aim at providing the best possible support services. So, do not hesitate in calling us anytime, we will be happy to help you.
You may like these posts: