Best ways to resolve QuickBooks error -6000, -304 when opening a company file
QuickBooks has transformed the way entrepreneurs carry out their accounting activities. It is considered to be one of the most efficient accounting software that the users prefer, due to the features and functionalities that it offers. However, the fact can’t be ignored that the QuickBooks software is prone to certain errors, one of which is QuickBooks error code 6000, 304. This error is basically seen when users makes an attempt to access the QuickBooks company file.
This error indicates that the system doesn’t have enough disk space available to open the file or your account running QuickBooks has completed its limit. This error can be resolved by relocating the company file to larger hard disk, and turning off quotas, or also increasing the disk quota of your account that is running QuickBooks. Read out the article till the end, in order to find out the complete solution of QuickBooks error code (-6000, -304). Moreover, you can also get in touch with our U.S based dedicated QuickBooks error support team. Our QB experts will be happy to help you in getting rid of from QuickBooks error code 6000, 304.
What is QuickBooks error 6000, 304?
This kind of error is seen when you makes an attempt to open the company file. It comes with an error message as given below:
“An error occurred when the QuickBooks tried to access the company file. Please try again. If problem persists, contact Intuit technical support and provide them following codes (-6000, -304).”
QuickBooks error code 6000, 304 can be very annoying, as well as confusing for us to tackle with. This error generally occurs in case there is not enough disk space on the system or disk quotas are turned on. There can be various causes of this error. Also, this error can be resolved by carrying out a few simple steps and tactics which will be discussed later in this post.
Factors causing the QuickBooks error 6000, 304
Though there can be a plenty of causes behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error 6000, 304. However, we are going to share with you two of the most common ones:
- You can face this error in case if the disk space is running low and this resist the software from loading the company file.
- Another factor leading to this error can be that the software crossed its memory usage limits.
Now that you have explored all the causes and facts related to QuickBooks error code 6000, 300, it is high time to find out what all methods can be implanted to get rid of this annoying error.
Methods to get rid of QuickBooks Error -6000, 304
In order to resolve the error, you can relocate the company file to a larger hard disk, turn off disk quotas, or increase the disk quota of your account that is running the QuickBooks program. For more details let us check out each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Perform a Clean Install of QuickBooks
The very first method that one can opt for is to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks. The clean installation involves the process to install and uninstall the software. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Sometime it is essential to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks to get rid of damage and also avoid any further damages. This process called clean installation of QuickBooks desktop.
- After that hit a click on Start tab and then, move to the Control panel option.
- Followed by clicking on the Programs and Features tab.
- Once done with that, you are supposed to right click and uninstall QuickBooks desktop.
- Moving ahead, you need to reinstall QuickBooks file after the uninstall gets finished, and you are good go.
Method 2: Checking if you are having enough disk space
In case the above method is not satisfying, then you can carry out this process. You can check if you are having enough disk space or not. For this, we can carry out the below steps:
- To begin with, you need to click on my computer.
- And then, visit the folder having the company file.
- Hit a right click on the hard disk and then open the Properties option.
- Moving ahead, you are supposed to check for free space by clicking on the General tab.
- Now, you can either move the company file to different hard disk or clear the space from the hard disk, where the file is stored.
- Next, hit a single click on the Quota tab, when the hard disk has enough space.
- Once done with that you can look for the spotlight on the left side of the screen.
- In such case, if the spotlight is red, it would indicate no disk quotas.
- And if it is green, it means the quotas are set.
- The last step in this process is to turn off the disk quotas and you are done with the process.
Method 3: Repairing the QuickBooks desktop
Another method that one can opt for, in case none of the above methods helped to resolve the issue is to repair the QuickBooks desktop. This could resolve the issue up to certain extent. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The initial step in the process is to click on the Start tab.
- And then, open the control panel.
- Moving ahead you are supposed to move to the Programs tab.
- Followed by clicking on the Program and Features tab.
- You need to find and select the QuickBooks option and then select the Uninstall option.
- Once done with that, you need to click on the QuickBooks window.
- And then press the repair tab.
- Lastly, hit a click on Next and hit Repair.
Method 4: Renaming the .ND and .TLG files
The .ND and .TLG files are a part of QuickBooks files. In case these files are corrupted, then you might encounter errors, while opening QuickBooks files. Renaming these files can be possible by carrying out the steps below:
- At first, open the folder that is having the company file.
- And then look for the files with the same file name as the company file but with .ND and .TLG extensions.
- After that, you need to hit a right click on each of file and choose rename option. Also, add the word OLD at the end of each file name.
- And lastly, open the QuickBooks again and try to sign in to the company file.
Method 5: Open the sample company file
By opening a sample company file, one just tests if there is any issue remaining with the company file and with QuickBooks applications using the sample company file. If the sample company file doesn’t open and show an error, it means that the QuickBooks installation is damaged and need to be repaired.
- You can select to open a Sample company file in No company open option. And then choose from any of the sample company files.
- After opening the sample files and move to the next step. In case the file is not opened and showing the same issue, then you need to repair the QuickBooks installation files.
We believe that the above stated methods might be sufficient in fixing the QuickBooks error 6000, 304. However, there can be a situation, where users might not be able to fix the issue even after carrying out the steps above. In such a situation, they can get in touch with our QuickBooks customer support team by dialing our toll-free i.e. 1-800-761-1787.
Contacting our experts can help you in fixing the various errors with much ease and that too permanently. So, do not hesitate in calling us anytime, as our professionals will be happy to help you!
You might also like: