Learn the complete process to fix QuickBooks Error 12, 0 while opening the company file
QuickBooks is regarded as one of the most reliable accounting software in the accounting market. Managing all accounting and bookkeeping activities has now become extremely easy with the assistance of QuickBooks. Despite the great features and functionalities on offer, this software is prone to certain errors. One such error is the “QuickBooks error code -12, 0“.
This blog shall throw light on the causes and fixes for this error. It is usually seen when you don’t possess admin rights. Another reason that might contribute to this error is the irregularity in the Windows registry. If you are facing this issue and looking for quick solutions to the QuickBooks error code 12, 0, then make sure to stay tuned to this post till the end. An alternative for the same is to get in touch with a team of professionals and let them handle the problem for you. Connect with our QuickBooks error support experts anytime through our dedicated helpline number 1-800-761-1787.
Related article: QuickBooks Error 6190 -816 – Learn How to Fix It?
Basic Information about QuickBooks error code 12, 0
As mentioned earlier, QuickBooks error code (12, 0) is usually seen when you do not possess sufficient administrative permissions to conduct certain operations on your QuickBooks. This error code often troubles you when system settings are incorrectly configured or when there is some variation in the Windows registry.
A gist of the QuickBooks error code 12, 0
The basic information related to this error is stated below:
|Error Number:||Error (-12 0)|
|Error Name:||QuickBooks error code -12 0|
|Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and 11|
|Error Description:||QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience|
There can be a couple of factors causing this issue, which we will be discussing later in this post. So, continue reading carefully!
Primary causes behind the QuickBooks Error Code (-12 0)
Every error is caused due to a bunch of factors, and so is the QuickBooks error code 12,0. There are a couple of factors that lead to this annoying error namely:
- A damaged Windows registry is one of the most common factors leading to the error code 12 0.
- The erroneous un-installation of QuickBooks software can be another reason.
- Incorrect user input can also be another reason causing the issue.
- In case the files are missing from the registry or are deleted.
- If you are facing a malfunction in the system.
- Wrong entries of non-existent programs are another common factor.
QuickBooks error code 12, 0 : Signs and Symptoms
It is very important to identify the QuickBooks error code 12, 0, and this can be done easily with the help of below stated signs and symptoms. Let us have a look:
- This error code crashes an active program window.
- The Error 12, 0 appears repeatedly on the computer screen.
- Windows got shut down to avoid any harm to the system. The issue happened due to all accounts that are accompanying the file.
- The system crashes with error code -12 0 while running the same program.
- Your Windows is responding sluggishly.
- The system freezes abruptly.
Read it also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189 and 816?
Methods to Resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 12, 0
Now that you are aware of all possible facts related to QuickBooks error code -12 0, it is time to find out the methods to fix the issue. Let us explore each of the methods one by one:
Method 1: Enable permissions
The first viable approach to fixing this QuickBooks error involves enabling permissions, the steps for which are given as under:
- Initially, right-click the Client data option.
- After that, choose the Properties tab. Afterward, hit on the Security tab.
- Follow it up by checking if you have permission to access the file or not.
- If you don’t have permission to access the folder, then provide the necessary permission.
- The final step is to open the company file and check if the error continues.
Method 2: Update Windows
In case the above steps didn’t work, then continue with the steps below:
- At first, hit on the Start tab.
- Then, type Update in the Search box and hit on the Enter tab.
- You will see the Windows update dialog box on the screen.
- If any updates are available, hit on the Install updates tab.
Method 3: Opt for System Restore
The procedure to restore the system to its latest known state is given as below:
- This method demands hitting on the Start tab.
- Type in System Restore in the search box and hit the Enter tab.
- Hit on the System restore tab in the results section, and also type Admin passwords.
- Afterward, perform all the necessary steps in the wizard to pick a Restore point.
- Finally, Restore the system and start working on QuickBooks.
Method 4: Use the Scan Now command
You can also use the SFC/scannow command in the command prompt to resolve this QuickBooks error. The steps to open the command prompt and entering the command therein are given below:
- Initially, hit on the Start tab.
- In the Search box, type ‘Command‘ and afterward, hit the Enter key.
- Next step is to hold the Ctrl + Shift keys and then hit the Enter key.
- Now you will see a permission dialog box. Hit on Yes tab.
- Once you are done with that, a black box with blinking cursor will appear on the screen.
- Follow it up by typing ‘SFC/scannow’ and then clicking on the Enter tab.
- The system file checker will Scan the error and other system file issues.
- You will then have to carry out the on-screen prompts and end the process.
Read it also: How to Correct QuickBooks Installer Error 1722?
Method 5: Enable the QBdatabaseserviceuser23 service
In case none of the above methods worked in your favor, then make sure to carry out the steps below and try resolving the issue.
- The initial step is to Verify the QuickBooks version.
- In case the user is accessing QuickBooks, then the service will be QBDatabaseserviceuser23.0.
- Proceed to Services.MSC and then check if the service mentioned has stopped or is still working.
- Afterward, press on QBdatabaseserviceuser23.
- Now, right-click QBdatabaseserviceuser23, and then move to the Properties tab. In case the service has stopped working, then hit on the Start service option.
- The final step requires you to re-open the company file and check if the error got resolved or not.
Checking permissions on the folder, which is having the company file.
- Right-click on the Client data > Properties > Security tab.
- Check if you have Permission to access the file or not.
- In case you don’t have permission to access the folder, then you need to have the necessary permission and retry opening the company file.
In the article above, we have attempted to summarize all the possible solutions in order to resolve the QuickBooks error (-12, 0). In case you still continue to face similar errors or if you have any query related to the same, then don’t think much in reaching us using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Getting in touch with our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team can ease the process of tackling this error for you.
Other articles to read: