Learn how to convert your QuickBooks desktop company files using QuickBooks conversion tool:
Being a QuickBooks user, you might have at least once heard about QuickBooks conversion tool. The conversion tool generally helps to convert the company file from another program. Amongst the several features and tools that are available in QuickBooks desktop, the conversion tool is one of the most useful tools. This tool usually allows them to convert the company from a plethora of different programs. With the help of conversion tool, users can do things like the conversion of QuickBooks 2017 to QuickBooks desktop premier to QuickBooks desktop premier 2018 or Pro 2018 or QuickBooks desktop enterprise solutions 18.0. Though the tool is a bit complex, it completest the process without any sort of data security compromise.
In simple words, the QuickBooks conversion tool help you to convert the company file from one program to another. This tool never compromises with the data security. If you are interested in knowing the process to use QuickBooks desktop conversion tool, then make sure that you read this post carefully till the end.
What is QuickBooks conversion tool?
QuickBooks desktop offers a wide range of features and tools , one of them is QuickBooks data conversion tool. This tool permits you to convert the company file from a plethora of different programs. What makes this tool even better is that it completes all sorts of conversion task, regardless of their complexity that too without any data security compromise. With the help of this tool, one can do things like conversion of QuickBooks 2017 to QuickBooks desktop premier 2018 or pro 2018 or QuickBooks desktop enterprise solutions 18.0.
What it can convert?
- Account, Employee, Item, Customer, and vendor lists
- Account balances
- Customer and vendor transactions
- Employee profile and contact info
- Payroll General ledger account balance info
- Paychecks (convert as journal entries)
What can’t be converted?
- Payroll transactions and employee year-to-date info (paychecks, year to-date adjustments).
- Work tickets
- Fixed Assets
- Individual employee wage or deduction information.
- Closed or partially closed Sales orders, Purchase orders, and Estimates.
You should also note that, you can only convert versions of Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop from the same region. In case you are having a US version of Sage 50, you might have to convert it to a US version of QuickBooks desktop.
You may also like: How to Set up Landed Cost in QuickBooks Enterprise?
Advantages of QuickBooks conversion tool
As we mentioned earlier, QuickBooks conversion tool comes with amazing features and functionalities. The advantages include the following:
- This tool permits the setup process for the conversion of QuickBooks file.
- Another advantage of this tool can be if the conversion tool doesn’t change the current/existing data files.
- Also, this will help in understanding the current state of the business.
- The tool usually imports the data from the new QuickBooks company.
- This tool creates a log for every conversion, simply to maintain the records systematically.
- It offers a choice for the imports list. This helps to list plus/minus balances as well as historical transactions in one go.
- If the tool ensures that no such data security compromises are possible at the time of conversion taking place.
System Requirements for the QuickBooks conversion tool
Before you start with the QuickBooks conversion tool, it is important that whether your system is compatible with the tool or not. There are certain system requirements that a user should have to meet in order to get the conversion tool.
- Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, windows 8
- Processor: 500 MHz Intel Pentium II
- Memory: 512 MB
- Hard drive: 2.5 GB free space.
- Microsoft .NET framework: Version 2.0 is least.
- QuickBooks Desktop: Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2018.
- Sage 50: Version 2013 and above.
- It should be noted that the operating system should be either windows 7, 8, or 10, or windows vista, windows XP.
- You should have installation of .NET 2.0 framework.
- QuickBooks desktop should be installed in proper manner and should be registered properly.
- RAM storage should be either 512 MB or higher.
How to Download the QuickBooks desktop conversion tool?
- You need to firstly, Download the QuickBooks Conversion Tool.
- Look for and open the folder having the downloaded file.
- Hit a right click on the QuickBooks conversion tool icon and also select properties.
- Under the compatibility mode, you need to select the checkbox for run this program compatibility for, and then select from the dropdown the window operating system being used.
- You will then have to click on ok tab.
- Lastly, right click the file i.e. QuickBooks ConversionToolSetup.exe and also choose run as admin.
Steps to Use the QuickBooks Conversion tool effectively
Now that you know the relevant information related to the QuickBooks conversion tool, it is the right time to start using it. The below steps would surely help you in making the best out of the conversion tool.
- Initially you are supposed to double click the conversion tool and open it.
- Followed by selecting one of the two options that would appear on the screen i.e. My Client Company or My own company.
- Select the accounting software.
- Choose next and opt for the company file and also hit next again.
- You will then require to select the QuickBooks product and navigate to the folder where you have saved the company file and also hit next.
- Go for the conversion levels as per the list which you see on the screen and then hit next.
- You will then have to select the accounting preferences as per the date and name of the company, and then hit next.
- Final step is to check all the details for the last time and then hit start, and after the process is complete, you need to click on finish tab.
Steps to Convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop
Now comes the process to convert sage to QuickBooks desktop. Well, if you are a Sage 2010 user, then the below steps will help you out in converting it to QuickBooks:
Step 1: Firstly, you need to set up the data access credentials
- For which you need to launch the sage application and also open the company file.
- Move to the main menu and choose maintain, along with users and setup security tab.
- You will also have to click on data access/crystal reports.
- Click on change to set the password.
- Followed by choosing close Sage.
Step 2: Once done with that, select the Sage company file
- Download and install QuickBooks conversion tool from the Intuit website. You will then have to use the tool by running it as admin. Now, you need to right click the QuickBooksConversionToolSetup.exe file and also choose the run as admin option.
- Select the company file by clicking the browse option, from the database name window.
- Choose the company name and hit OK tab.
You might also like: Move files from QuickBooks online to QuickBooks Desktop for MAC
Step 3: The last step is to convert the company file
- This can be done by simply selecting the QuickBooks version to convert Sage to and also look for the folder, where the QuickBooks file is to be kept. Also, hit next.
- Now, in the new window, you will have to verify the accuracy of the information, and then hit convert file option.
- The process might take some time, and you will have to wait for the message to appear prompting done.
- Open the QuickBooks file and check if the process was completed successfully or not.
Step 4: Review the conversion
In this step, you need to opt for the option to open in QuickBooks, after the tool completes the task. You need to review the data in QuickBooks and also ensure that everything is present. You will then have to review the transfer log:
- Open the windows start menu.
- Look for and open the file explorer.
- Move to the C:\USERS\[Your Windows User Name]\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- Now review the failed transaction log file in the folder. This will tell you if the data didn’t transfer over.
Important Point: It should be noted that, you can only convert the versions of Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop from the same region. In case, you are having a US version of Sage 50, then it is important for you to convert it to the US version of QuickBooks desktop only.
Read this also: How to check the QuickBooks version and release?
Steps to Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop
Quicken 2011 or the earlier version users can easily switch to QuickBooks, with the steps listed below:
- First download the QuickBooks conversion tool. In case you are converting to QuickBooks of same year from Quicken of same year, then the tool is not needed. This tool is very much effective and is needed when the QuickBooks is newer than Quicken.
- You will have to launch the Quicken converter and then hit next tab.
- Also, accept the terms in the license agreement and click on next and install options.
- Followed by, selecting launch quicken converter and click on finish tab.
- You will then have to select I am transferring data from Quicken to windows option and then choose the get started option.
- Now you need to select open a data file located on this system option and also browse the file by clicking on select file tab. You should also hit convert and OK tabs.
- Once done with that, click on save to save the updated quicken file and also choose the exit option. The Quicken file will not be upgraded.
- After completing the steps above, you should launch the QuickBooks desktop.
- Followed by moving to the file and utilities tab. You will also have to opt for convert and from Quicken option.
- The final step in this process is to carry out the onscreen prompts.
Limitations of the QuickBooks conversion tool
Along with the above stated features, there are certain limitations to the QuickBooks conversion tool as well. These limitations are related to importing data, transaction, and account balances from other financial software into QuickBooks. This would help in converting employee list information which includes the social security number, as well as payroll general ledger account balance information.
There is certain payroll information, that one can’t convert using the QuickBooks conversion tool. This includes: paycheck, employee year to date information, payroll item, individual employee wage, etc. Along with that, job costing, fixed asset items work tickets and then close or partially closed sales orders, estimates, and purchase order might not be converted with the help of conversion tool.
This drives us towards to the conclusion of this article, where we expect that information shared in above information might be of some help in using the QuickBooks desktop conversion tool. However, if you have any query regarding the same or for any further information, you can contact our QuickBooks support personnel using our dedicated helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our team of U.S. based CPA’s and accounting professionals will ensure to answer all your queries immediately.
Other helpful articles: