Learn how to use the QuickBooks Conversion Tool to move your sage accounting data into QuickBooks desktop:
QuickBooks is an innovative bookkeeping and accounting software and many of the small- and medium-sized business owners have been switching to it from other accounting software for years. It has been noted that a large number of Sage 50 (previously known as Peachtree) users have switched over to QuickBooks Desktop or Enterprise solutions in the last couple of years. If you too are a Sage 50 user and want to convert/move to QuickBooks desktop, you may learn everything you should know in this article.
One tool that is required to convert Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop is QuickBooks Conversion Tool. The tool can help you move your data from Sage 50, earlier Peachtree, convert to the latter automatically. Read this article till the end to learn how you can download and use the conversion tool. You can skip these steps and contact our support team for help. We can help you with the end-to-end process for converting Sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop. Please feel free to connect with our tech geeks using our dedicated support line.
You may also see: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189 and 816?
Convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop – Steps to Follow
The following are the steps for you to convert your Sage accounting data files to the QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1: Reviewing the conversion requirements
You need to first check the system requirements for the conversion tool. You can check the below conversion requirements.
|Operating System:||Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8|
|Processor:||500 MHz Intel Pentium II is minimum|
|Memory (RAM):||512 MB is minimum|
|Hard Drive:||2.5 GB of the free space|
|Microsoft .NET Framework:||Version 2.0 (minimum)|
|QuickBooks Desktop:||Pro, Premier, or Enterprise|
|Sage 50:||Version 2013 and above|
If you are not having in advance, then in that case you need to ensure that the system meets the QuickBooks desktop system requirements.
Learning what converts
You can convert the following items:
- Account, employee, item, customer, and vendor lists
- Account balances
- Customer and vendor transactions
- Employee profile and contact info
- Payroll general ledger account balance info
Things that can’t be converted include:
- The payroll transactions and employee year to date info.
- Payroll items used to calculate paychecks.
- Individual employee wage or deduction information.
- Fixed asset.
- Work tickets.
- Closed or partially closed sales orders, purchase orders, and estimates.
You should also keep in mind, that you can only convert versions of Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop from the same region. In case you are having US version of Sage 50, then it is required to convert it to a US version of QuickBooks desktop.
Step 2: Preparing for conversion
Now that you know the requirements for conversion, it is time to prepare for conversion. It is very much important for you to avoid conversion tool errors, to ensure to save the file locally. The steps involved in this process are:
- Install QuickBooks desktop, if you haven’t already. This should be done on the same system having Sage 50.
- Ensure that the Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop data are saved on the load hard drive. If it isn’t, then you need to move it to the local hard drive before starting. The conversion tool will encounter an error, if you are hosting a file over a network or on a server.
It should be noted if the data file is located on a server, you are required to convert it on the server system.
- Lastly you need to create backup of the Sage 50 data before starting.
Step 3: Setup Sage 50
Once done with the steps above, you need to setup Sage 50 application. The steps to be followed for this are as follows:
- Open Sage 50 and the file to be converted.
- From the main menu, choose maintain.
- After that choose users and then setup security.
- Then select the data access/crystal reports tab.
- Followed by selecting with the following login information option.
- Finally choose change and set a password for the transfer.
Kindly note that the new password has an 8 character limit and exceeding the limit will cause the conversion tool not to work.
- At last, set the new password and hit OK to close Sage 50.
Step 4: Downloading the conversion tool
- You need to download the QuickBooks conversion tool first.
- Look for and open the folder you saved the downloaded file to.
- Hit a right click on the QuickBooks conversion tool icon and then choose properties.
- Choose the checkbox for run this program compatibility for, and then select from the dropdown the windows operating system being used.
- Select OK button.
- Right click on QuickBooks conversiontoolsetup.exe and choose run as admin.
Step 5: Converting the data
- For this, select browse in the conversion tool and select browse.
- Look for and choose Sage 50 company file you wish to convert.
- In the pervasive 32-bit ODBC engine DSN setup window, and choose the sage 50 company file from the database name dropdown menu and hit OK button.
- Enter the Sage 50 password just created by you and then hit next.
- Choose the QuickBooks desktop version and edition you are moving the Sage data into and then enter the company file name in the field.
- Select browse and select the folder to save the converted data to and select next. In case you don’t pick a folder, then the default is the My documents folder. In case you selects a folder, it is recommended to import into a file that is 2 folders deep maximum.
- Review what you have entered. If everything works well, choose convert file to start the conversion. This step will launch QuickBooks and also the QuickBooks application certificate window requesting access to the company file.
- Allow the application and choose Yes, prompt each time. You need to select continue.
This might take some time to convert the data and the conversion tool will let you to know if the conversion is successful.
- Continue to step 6.
- And if not, then there is something went wrong during the conversion, you need to reach out to our support team.
Step 6: Reviewing the conversion
Once the tool is finished, choose open in QuickBooks desktop. You need to review the data in QuickBooks and ensure that everything is there. After that, it is recommended to review the transfer log:
- Open the windows start menu.
- Look for and open file explorer.
- Move to C:\USERS\[Your Windows User Name]\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- Review the failed transaction log file in the folder. This will tell you if the data didn’t transfer over.
Once the failed logs are reviewed, the process will be complete. In case you are new to QuickBooks, you should learn about its features and tools to make the most of it.
This article explained to you the 6 DIY steps to convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop. We hope that you found it helpful and have no trouble in carrying out the steps provided herein. In case you have any queries or you require any help, feel free to call us using our dedicated support line i.e.,1-800-761-1787. Our QuickBooks enterprise support experts and certified accounting professionals are available 24×7 and can be accessed almost immediately. Feel free to call us, we will be happy to help you.
Other helpful articles: