Learn how to use the QuickBooks Conversion Tool to move your sage accounting data into QuickBooks desktop:
In search of a step-by-step guide to convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop? Well, in order to move the accounting data from Sage 50 over to QuickBooks, then it is recommended to use the QuickBooks conversion tool to move the data automatically. We will be talking about the process to download and use the tool. If you are interested in unleashing the process to convert Sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop, then make sure that you read this article carefully till the end.
An alternative to the same is to get in touch with our QuickBooks support team. Our professionals will help you in carrying out the entire process to convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop. Thus, feel free to call us at any point of time, we will be happy to help you.
You may also see: Fix QuickBooks balance sheet out of balance error
Steps to Convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the step-by-step procedure in order to converting your sage accounting data files into the QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1: Reviewing the conversion requirements
The user needs to first check the system requirements for the conversion tool.
|Operating System:||Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8|
|Processor:||500 MHz Intel Pentium II is minimum|
|Memory (RAM):||512 MB is minimum|
|Hard Drive:||2.5 GB of the free space|
|Microsoft .NET Framework:||Version 2.0 (minimum)|
|QuickBooks Desktop:||Pro, Premier, or Enterprise|
|Sage 50:||Version 2013 and above|
If the user is not having in advance, then in that case the user needs to ensure that the system meets the QuickBooks desktop system requirements.
Learning what converts
The user can convert the following:
- Account, employee, item, customer, and vendor lists
- Account balances
- Customer and vendor transactions
- Employee profile and contact info
- Payroll general ledger account balance info
Things that can’t be converted include:
- The payroll transactions and employee year to date info
- Payroll items used to calculate paychecks
- Individual employee wage or deduction information
- Fixed asset
- Work tickets
- Closed or partially closed sales orders, purchase orders, and estimates
The user should also keep in mind, that he/she can only convert versions of Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop from the same region. In case the user is having US version of Sage 50, he/she is required to convert it to a US version of QuickBooks desktop.
Step 2: Preparing for conversion
It is very much important for the user to avoid conversion tool error, to ensure to save the file locally. The steps involved in this process are:
- The first step is to install QuickBooks desktop, if you haven’t already. This should be done on the same system having Sage 50
- And then, ensure that the Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop data are saved on the load hard drive. If it isn’t, then the user needs to move it to the local hard drive before starting. The conversion tool will encounter an error, if the user is hosting a file over a network or on a server.
It should be noted if the data file is located on a server, the user is required to convert it on the server system.
- The last step is to create backup of the Sage 50 data before starting
Step 3: Setup Sage 50
- The user needs to open Sage 50 and the file to be converted
- And then, from the main menu, choose maintain
- After that select users and then setup security
- The next step is to choose the data access/crystal reports tab
- Followed by selecting with the following login information option.
- And then select change and set a password for the transfer
The user needs to note that the new password has an 8 character limit and exceeding the limit will cause the conversion tool not to work
- After that, set the new password and hit OK to close Sage 50
Step 4: Downloading the conversion tool
- The user is supposed to download the QuickBooks conversion tool
- And then, find and open the folder the user saved the downloaded file to
- The user is then required to right click the QuickBooks conversion tool icon and then choose properties
- Now, the user needs to select the checkbox for run this program compatibility for, and then select from the dropdown the windows operating system being used
- After that select OK button
- And right click QuickBooks conversiontoolsetup.exe and choose run as admin
Step 5: Converting the data
- For this, select browse in the conversion tool and select browse
- Also, find and choose Sage 50 company file you wish to convert
- After that, in the pervasive 32-bit ODBC engine DSN setup window, and choose the sage 50 company file from the database name dropdown menu and hit OK button
- The user is then required to enter the Sage 50 password just created and then hit next
- Once done with that, choose the QuickBooks desktop version and edition you are moving the Sage data into and then enter the company file name in the field
- The next step is to select browse and select the folder to save the converted data to and select next. In case you don’t pick a folder, then the default is the My documents folder. In case the user selects a folder, it is recommended to import into a file that is 2 folders deep maximum.
- The user is then required to review what he/she entered. If everything works well, choose convert file to start the conversion. This step will launch QuickBooks and also the QuickBooks application certificate window requesting access to the company file
- The last step is to allow the application and choose Yes, prompt each time. The user needs to select continue.
This might take some time to convert the data and the conversion tool will let the user to know if the conversion is successful.
- Once done, the user can continue to step 6
- And if not, then something went wrong during the conversion, the user needs to reach out to our support team.
Step 6: Reviewing the conversion
Once the tool is finished, the user needs to choose open in QuickBooks desktop. The user needs to review the data in QuickBooks and ensure that everything is there. After that, it is recommended to review the transfer log:
- The user needs to open the windows start menu
- And then, look for and open file explorer
- Also, move to C:\USERS\[Your Windows User Name]\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- The user is then required to review the failed transaction log file in the folder. This will tell the user if the data didn’t transfer over.
Once reviewing the log, the user is done with the process. In case you new to QuickBooks, you can learn more about it and make the best use of it.
We end the article over here, with the hope that till now you might be able to convert from sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop. However, if you have any query, or in case of any technical assistance, feel free to call us at any point of time.
Other helpful articles: