Learn how to use the QuickBooks Conversion Tool to move your sage accounting data into QuickBooks desktop:
QuickBooks is an innovative bookkeeping and accounting software and many of the small- and medium-sized business owners have been switching to it from other accounting software for years. It has been noted that a large number of Sage 50 (previously known as Peachtree) users have switched over to QuickBooks Desktop or Enterprise in the last couple of years. If you too are a Sage 50 user and want to convert to QuickBooks desktop, you may learn everything you should know in this article.
One tool that is required to convert Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop is QuickBooks Conversion Tool. The tool can help you move your data from Sage 50, earlier Peachtree, convert to the latter automatically. Read this article till the end to learn how you can download and use the conversion tool. You can skip these steps and contact our support team for help. We can help you with the end-to-end process for converting Sage 50 to QuickBooks desktop. Please feel free to call us.
You may also see: Fix QuickBooks balance sheet out of balance error
Convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop – Steps to Follow
The following are the steps for you to convert your Sage accounting data files to the QuickBooks desktop:
Step 1: Reviewing the conversion requirements
The user needs to first check the system requirements for the conversion tool. The user can check the below conversion requirements.
|Operating System:||Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8|
|Processor:||500 MHz Intel Pentium II is minimum|
|Memory (RAM):||512 MB is minimum|
|Hard Drive:||2.5 GB of the free space|
|Microsoft .NET Framework:||Version 2.0 (minimum)|
|QuickBooks Desktop:||Pro, Premier, or Enterprise|
|Sage 50:||Version 2013 and above|
If the user is not having in advance, then in that case the user needs to ensure that the system meets the QuickBooks desktop system requirements.
Learning what converts
The user can convert the following:
- Account, employee, item, customer, and vendor lists
- Account balances
- Customer and vendor transactions
- Employee profile and contact info
- Payroll general ledger account balance info
Things that can’t be converted include:
- The payroll transactions and employee year to date info
- Payroll items used to calculate paychecks
- Individual employee wage or deduction information
- Fixed asset
- Work tickets
- Closed or partially closed sales orders, purchase orders, and estimates
The user should also keep in mind, that he/she can only convert versions of Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop from the same region. In case the user is having US version of Sage 50, he/she is required to convert it to a US version of QuickBooks desktop.
Step 2: Preparing for conversion
Now that you know the requirements for conversion, it is time to prepare for conversion. It is very much important for the user to avoid conversion tool error, to ensure to save the file locally. The steps involved in this process are:
- The first step is to install QuickBooks desktop, if you haven’t already. This should be done on the same system having Sage 50
- And then, ensure that the Sage 50 and QuickBooks desktop data are saved on the load hard drive. If it isn’t, then the user needs to move it to the local hard drive before starting. The conversion tool will encounter an error, if the user is hosting a file over a network or on a server.
It should be noted if the data file is located on a server, the user is required to convert it on the server system.
- The last step is to create backup of the Sage 50 data before starting
Step 3: Setup Sage 50
Once done with the steps above, the user needs to setup Sage 50. The steps to be followed for this are as follows:
- The user needs to open Sage 50 and the file to be converted
- And then, from the main menu, choose maintain
- After that select users and then setup security
- The next step is to choose the data access/crystal reports tab
- Followed by selecting with the following login information option.
- And then select change and set a password for the transfer
The user needs to note that the new password has an 8 character limit and exceeding the limit will cause the conversion tool not to work
- After that, set the new password and hit OK to close Sage 50
Step 4: Downloading the conversion tool
- The user is supposed to download the QuickBooks conversion tool
- And then, find and open the folder the user saved the downloaded file to
- The user is then required to right click the QuickBooks conversion tool icon and then choose properties
- Now, the user needs to select the checkbox for run this program compatibility for, and then select from the dropdown the windows operating system being used
- After that select OK button
- And right click QuickBooks conversiontoolsetup.exe and choose run as admin
Step 5: Converting the data
- For this, select browse in the conversion tool and select browse
- Also, find and choose Sage 50 company file you wish to convert
- After that, in the pervasive 32-bit ODBC engine DSN setup window, and choose the sage 50 company file from the database name dropdown menu and hit OK button
- The user is then required to enter the Sage 50 password just created and then hit next
- Once done with that, choose the QuickBooks desktop version and edition you are moving the Sage data into and then enter the company file name in the field
- The next step is to select browse and select the folder to save the converted data to and select next. In case you don’t pick a folder, then the default is the My documents folder. In case the user selects a folder, it is recommended to import into a file that is 2 folders deep maximum.
- The user is then required to review what he/she entered. If everything works well, choose convert file to start the conversion. This step will launch QuickBooks and also the QuickBooks application certificate window requesting access to the company file
- The last step is to allow the application and choose Yes, prompt each time. The user needs to select continue.
This might take some time to convert the data and the conversion tool will let the user to know if the conversion is successful.
- Once done, the user can continue to step 6
- And if not, then something went wrong during the conversion, the user needs to reach out to our support team.
Step 6: Reviewing the conversion
Once the tool is finished, the user needs to choose open in QuickBooks desktop. The user needs to review the data in QuickBooks and ensure that everything is there. After that, it is recommended to review the transfer log:
- The user needs to open the windows start menu
- And then, look for and open file explorer
- Also, move to C:\USERS\[Your Windows User Name]\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- The user is then required to review the failed transaction log file in the folder. This will tell the user if the data didn’t transfer over.
Once the failed logs are reviewed, the process will be complete. In case you are new to QuickBooks, you should learn about its features and tools to make the most of it.
This article explained to you the six steps to convert Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop. We hope that you found it helpful and have no trouble in carrying out the steps provided herein. In case you have any queries or you require any help, feel free to call us at 1-800-761-1787.
Other helpful articles: