Learn how to move your company data files from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
Are you a QuickBooks user and looking for a reliable method to convert and transfer QuickBooks online data files to desktop? Well, this is possible, but it might seem to be an arduous process for many users. The conversion process involves a lot of things, which might confuse you. Thus, to clear the confusion, we have come up with an in-depth guide which will help you in converting the software with much ease. There can be multiple reasons why you want to switch from QuickBooks online to desktop, and sometimes it becomes necessary for you to switch from online to desktop. There are a lot of things that you will have to keep in mind, before exporting a QuickBooks online to desktop. To get in-depth knowledge, make sure to continue reading this post.
Moreover, if you are a bit skeptical about carrying out the process on your own, then in that case you can ring up our accounting experts at our dedicated support line i.e., 1-800-761-1787. Our team will ensure to provide you with the best possible support services round the clock and Export your QuickBooks online data to desktop with much ease.
Points to remember before carrying out the conversion steps
Before you convert QuickBooks online data to QuickBooks desktop, there are certain points that you should take into consideration, a few of which are as follows:
- The first thing that you should take into consideration is that the internet explorer version must be 10 or higher for conversion.
- And then the desktop software must be the 2004 edition or the later one in the case of windows, as converting to versions older than QuickBooks basic 2004 is not possible.
- Remind it your QuickBooks desktop must be compatible, and the internet explorer has to be 32-bit, As the 64-bit version will return an error and hinder the progress.
- If you have a non-US edition, then conversion is restricted to certain items- products, vendors, services, customers, etc.
- You also need an ActiveX to carry out the conversion and cannot perform the process.
- Direct conversion is not possible if you have the Mac version of QuickBooks desktop. As the process might differ.
- You should have access to at least an invited accountant account if you are already a master or a company administrator.
Steps to convert and transfer your QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop
Following are the advanced steps to move your QuickBooks Online file to the QuickBooks Desktop:
Step 1: Set up security settings in Internet explorer
To set up Internet Explorer settings or Microsoft Edge, you need to carry out the steps below:
- Right-click on the Internet Explorer icon and then hit on the Run as admin option.
- Follow it up by opting for the Tools icon and then choosing the Internet options.
- Opt for the Security and trusted sites option.
- Proceeding ahead, you will have to select Sites.
- In the Add this website to the zone field, you need to enter: *.intuit.com and *.qbo.intuit.com
- Uncheck the “Require server verification for all sites in this zone“.
- Now close the Trusted sites window.
- After that uncheck Enable protected mode.
- Once done with that, choose the Apply option and then hit on Okay.
- Now, close and re-open Internet explorer to Disable the protected mode.
- The final step in the process is to leave internet explorer open.
Step 2: Set up QuickBooks desktop for Export
- For this, you are required to right-click the QuickBooks desktop icon and also choose the Run as admin.
- If the QuickBooks desktop is not installed, then download the trial version.
- Ensure to move to the File and then choose the Close company option.
- Now, leave the QuickBooks desktop open at the time of completing the rest of the steps.
Step 3: Prepare to export QuickBooks online data
- Open the version of QuickBooks that the company file will be converted to. It should be noted that you are recommended not to go ahead with No company open window and also you should avoid opening a company file yet.
- Next, log in to the QuickBooks Online account.
- Now, choose the Gear icon and then under the Tools tab select Export data.
- Select the Reason from the pop-up window and then hit on Continue.
- Under moving to QuickBooks desktop, you will have to opt for the Learn more option.
- Choose to Learn more under the download company data.
- Review the Export overview. Afterward, opt for Get started.
- Select Install for ActiveX control and then choose to Install ActiveX Control Now to confirm the installation.
- Choose to Continue after the installation comes to an end.
- Pick the Data that you want to export and then opt for Continue.
- Follow it up by reviewing the limitations of the data to export. Afterward, hit on Continue.
- Lastly, enter all the Contact information and then select the Continue option.
Important: Note that you will receive an email with steps to end the export conversion within a few minutes to hours, depending upon the amount of data prepared. The receipt of the email will mean that the data has been compiled and you will have to ready to move to the next step.
Step 4: Finish exporting the data
To start in QuickBooks online, repeat the steps, so as to get back to the export page.
- Navigate to the Setting tab and then select Export data in QuickBooks Online.
- Repeat the steps and Prepare to export the QuickBooks online data.
- Choose the Continue tab to download on the exporting from QBO page.
Now you need to switch to QuickBooks desktop.
- Ensure that No company open screen and also if the company open, you are recommended to visit the file and select the Close company option.
- Select the preferred option and then choose the Continue option.
- Followed by hitting on the Download option.
- Save the company file window, and you need to select a Location to save the file.
- You will then see a pop-up window that asks where you would like to save the file and then choose the Convert now option.
- Opt for Yes, prompt each time in the application certificate.
- Go for Continue and then select Done.
- Pick Finished and then Run reports.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks Backup not Working on Windows 10?
This brings us to the end of this article. We hope that the information shared worked for you in converting QuickBooks online data file to QuickBooks desktop. However, if you are still unable to convert it or facing difficulty in exporting qbo files to desktop, then you might have to contact a professional, as experimenting with the process might lead to serious data loss.
Feel free to contact our QuickBooks customer support team using our dedicated support line i.e. 1-800-761-1787, and our experts will help you out with the entire process in the best possible way. Call us anytime and we will be happy to help you and clear all your clouds of confusion.
Few other helpful articles: