Learn how to set up a multi-user network on your QuickBooks desktop so you can access your company files:
As per the QB users and their feedbacks, QuickBooks is regarded to be one of the finest accounting software till date. It is highly productive and lets the user to manage all the accounting activities in the smoothest possible way. It comes with countless features, one of which is multi-user mode, which not only intensifies the productivity and also QuickBooks experience. It lets multiple users to access and manage the same file at the same time that too in the same network.
If you are interested in knowing how to set up multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop, then make sure to read this article ahead. Moreover, you can also contact our accounting professionals and ask them to set up multi user network in QuickBooks desktop. All you have to do is to ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-291-2294, and our QuickBooks desktop support team will be there as your assistance.
You might also like: Set up firewall and security settings for QuickBooks Desktop
What is multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop?
Before you learn the process to set up multi user network in QuickBooks desktop, it is important to understand, what it is actually. Multi-user mode allows more than one person to work on a single company file at the same time. This feature saves a lot of time and makes things quick and easy. If you are having a huge firm having a large number of employees, then multi-user mode can be really beneficial for you. However, it should be noted that in order to set-up multi user network in QuickBooks, the user needs to own a separate licensed copy of QuickBooks installed in the system.
Basic requirements to set up multi user network
- It is advisable to installed up users for the company file before switching to multi-user network
- Also, make sure to examine the windows file permissions, by simply logging in as admin
- Another important thing is to verify the QuickBooks database server manager, and turn it on
Quick facts to setup multi user network
QuickBooks allows the users to have accesses to the data file all over the network. However, each user will have to install the software separately. Different accounts are provided different access like:
- QuickBooks enterprise solution is permitted a height of 30 users to access the file together
- Whereas the number remains a maximum of 5 users in QuickBooks Premier
- And the number even lowers down to maximum of 3 in QuickBooks Pro
Steps to setup multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop
The below stated are the steps that can be followed by a QuickBooks user to setup multi-user network in QuickBooks.
Step 1: Downloading and installing QuickBooks desktop
- The initial step is download QuickBooks and then save the file
- Followed by installing the software by carrying out the respective steps
- And then select the multi-user host installation
Step 2: Switching to multi-user hosting
- The user required to open the QuickBooks software
- And then update the QuickBooks company file to the newer version if needed
- The next step is to move to the file and click on utilities option, along with clicking on the host multi-user access
- Also, if the previously hosted multi user set up is present, then the user is recommended to move to the next step.
Step 3: Move on to the folder and windows access permissions to share company files
- Now, the user is supposed to right click the folder having the company file
- And then move to the properties option and select the security option. Also, click on the edit option
- Along with that, the user needs to select QBDataServicesUserXX and then select Full control option and click on allow option
- The next step is to click on apply tab and then click on OK
- To end this step, set up windows access permissions to share company files
On windows 10, 8, 7
- Tap on the Windows + R key and then open the file explorer tab
- After that search and right click the folder having the company files
- The next step is to tap on properties and sharing options, followed by clicking on share ad option respectively
- Now, select the corresponding QBSataServiceUserXX, XX here is particular version of QuickBooks
- And then, select full control option and click on share option
Step 4: Configure the firewall and security settings for desktop
- Open start menu and then check the firewall
- And then opt for windows firewall and also click on the advanced settings option
- The next step is to click on the inbound rules and then choose the new rule option. The next step is to click on port and next options
- After that, check out the TCP option and then type in the ports that are needed for QuickBooks year version
- Select the allow the connection option
- And then check-mark all the profiles and then switch to the other step by selecting the next option
- Assign a name to the rule and then hit the finish option
- And end the step with opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode
Step 5: Check the file and set up the QuickBooks database server manager
- The very first step is to click the start tab and then the programs and QuickBooks option respectively
- And then tap on QuickBooks database server manager
- After that select the scan folders tab
- And tap on the add folder option
- Now, select the folder having the company file and hit OK, also select the add folder option
- The next step is to scan tab and start with the scanning process
- And end the step with hitting close option
Step 6: Inserting Windows Admin rights to permit configuration to multi-user access
On windows 10:
- Select the start tab and then click on settings > accounts > family & other users respectively
- And then select the add someone else on this computer option
- The next step is to pick the I don’t have this person’s sign- in information option and also insert a user without Microsoft account
- After that, the user needs to assign a new name and password to the account
- Followed by clicking the finish option
- And then, provide the admin authorities to the new user
- Once done with that select the newly created account and then select the account type
- Now, select the admin tab from the drop -down list
- And lastly, select OK and save option respectively
Windows 8 and 7:
- Press Ctrl + R keys and then open Control panel
- Select user accounts > manage another account > create a new account respectively
- And then, type in the user name and select the admin tab and also click the create option
Read this also: What is TLS 1.2 for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows?
Step 7: Start with a company file located on a remote computer
- Initially, the user needs to visit the QuickBooks file menu and then select switch to multi-user mode
- And then select Yes option in the multi-user setup hosting window
- The next step is to hit OK tab on the multi-user setup information window
- And end the process by adding expected users by visiting the company > set up users and passwords > set up users > add user respectively, and you are good to go.
Multi-user mode can be highly beneficial in making this smoother and efficient. In a nutshell, setting up QuickBooks multi-user network becomes a necessity, especially if you are huge firm. We end the post here, with the hope that the above stated information might help you in setting up multi-user mode in QuickBooks desktop with much ease. However, in case of any query or if you are facing any sort of issue, then make sure to contact our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-888-291-2294, and our experts will be there to assist you in a single call.
We are a hub of tech savvy accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services. So, get in touch with us today!