Get versed with the different techniques for troubleshooting QuickBooks error code 6155 when opening the company file:
Regular users of the QuickBooks Desktop accounting software come across different types of technically sophisticated errors. Although the origin of these error codes is multifold, all these technical snags have a proclivity toward causing an indefinite hindrance to the accounting operations in QuickBooks. Furthermore, these irregular errors can potentially cause irreparable damage to important QuickBooks files, including company files. In this concise article, we shall be expanding the various techniques for mending QuickBooks Error code 6155. Ensure to follow up till the very end of this article in order to get this issue whipped out from the system.
Error 6155 in QuickBooks can occur for a variety of different reasons. One of the potential causes of this error is damage caused to the QuickBooks installation-related files. Although the error may pop up anytime while users are operating on their QuickBooks software, it typically occurs when users attempt to open their company files through QuickBooks. As a result, users reach a dead-stop, wherein they can neither access the company files nor can make use of any other functionalities within QuickBooks. Meanwhile, if you want our QuickBooks ProAdvisors to aid you through the troubleshooting process, ring us a call at 1-800-761-1787.
A Brief Insight Into QuickBooks Error 6155
The Error 6155 in QuickBooks desktop typically comes along with an error message that states.
“Error 6155: an error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file.”
As clearly indicative, this snag relates to the company files. However, damage to the company files may not be the one and only reason behind this error; in fact, this error might be a result of other factors too, which we shall be covering in the section given below.
Major Instigators of the QuickBooks Error 6155
The QuickBooks error 6155 usually occurs in case of some issue in the company files or the QuickBooks application. Below are listed some of the most prominent causes that result in such issue. Make a rudimentary insight into these causes, as the next section shall deal with the various techniques to get these causative factors fixed.
Causes related to the company files:
- There might be a possibility that the company is read-only.
- The company files that users are trying to access might be damaged due to some reasons. These causes may include a virus attack, abrupt system shutdown, including other reasons.
Due to some problems in the QuickBooks files
- The QuickBooks Desktop version employed may not be updated to the latest version.
- Some important files within the QuickBooks directory might be accidentally deleted by the user.
- Since the causes of this error are few, it becomes easier to resolve it by taking the aid of a few troubleshooting techniques.
You might also see: How to Fix Webmail Password Issues In QuickBooks Desktop?
Easy Techniques To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6155
Users are required to follow the brief solutions given in this section so as to get rid of the issue.
1st Technique: QuickBooks Desktop needs to be updated
Among the various fixation methods for a wide range of QB-related errors, updating the accounting software is considered to be the most viable technique of resolution. Following the steps below should help users in updating their software with no hassle:
- The first step involves launching the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, proceed to the Help tab.
- Within the Help tab, users need to proceed to the Update QuickBooks option.
- Herein, tap on Update Now and once all the updates are successfully downloaded, make an exit from the accounting software.
- Now, for installing the updates, users should re-launch the QuickBooks software.
- A new Window will show up, prompting the update process to initiate. Provide consent to the same by opting for Yes.
2nd technique: Fixing damaged company files using QuickBooks File Doctor
The QuickBooks File doctor is an amazing tool that has complemented the software by making its functioning seamless. This tool can diagnose and repair a wide range of issues within the QuickBooks software, which includes fixing the Network and company file issues.
- To start off, users should download the QuickBooks File Doctor from the official website of Intuit.
- Upon downloading the tool, start the process of installing it by double-clicking the downloaded .exe file.
- Now, launch the tool and once it is opened, opt for the Repair Company File option.
- Now, hit on Next.
- When the tool accomplishes its scanning task, restart the QuickBooks software and inspect whether QuickBooks Error 6155 go handled.
Read Also: Methods to Fix common sign-in errors in QuickBooks Online
3rd Technique: Unmark the Read-only option in Company File Properties
The error code 6155 may show up in case the company file is read-only. To make sure that is not the case, users are required to make some adjustments to their company file properties. Follow the directions below:
- This step demands navigation into the QuickBooks install folder. An easy way is to right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and head to properties, followed by choosing the Open File location.
- Within the directory, users need to choose their company file (which causes the error), right-click on the same, and then opt for Properties.
- Within Properties, users need to unmark the Read-only option.
- Afterward, hit on Apply and tap on the OK tab.
4th Technique: Go for a Clean installation of QuickBooks
If none of the above-given resolutions work out, it is recommended to clean install QuickBooks Desktop. It involves a complete wipeout of the accounting software, followed by installing it again by using the license and product keys. This task can either be accomplished manually (through the Control Panel) or use the clean install tool for the same. Take the aid of the following steps:
- In the beginning, users need to open the Run command box by pressing and holding the Windows key, followed by holding the R key on the keyboard.
- Now, within the Run window, users need to type in the command ”appwiz.cpl”, and then hit on OK. This action will directly open the Programs and Features tab of the Control Panel.
- Herein, users are required to choose QuickBooks and then choose Uninstall after a right-click.
- Now, proceed as per the directions on the screen to complete the uninstall process.
- After that, visit the QuickBooks directory and rename the QuickBooks folder to some other name. This action prevents access to this folder when reinstalling QuickBooks.
- The next step requires you to download the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool, install the same, and use it to install a fresh copy of the QuickBooks Desktop application. Users are required to keep their product details, like the License and product keys, in hand while reinstalling the software.
- Once the process is done, restart the computer, and then launch QuickBooks to see the such issue got fixed.
Read Also: Hosting your company data in multi-user mode in QuickBooks desktop
Although the QuickBooks Error 6155 is a frequently occurring issue and resolving it is quite easier, if you attentively follow the troubleshooting techniques covered in this article. We hope that this article helped you to fix such error.
If the issue still keeps annoying you, then, in that case, we recommend that you consult our QuickBooks error support experts, who can be reached via the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787 or through the Live chat option.
Other helpful topics:
How to fix QuickBooks Error OLSU-1022 or OLSU-1024?
Steps to Solve QuickBooks Error 6000 82
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000, 308?