Learn how to Fix QuickBooks error 1618 when attempting to install or update:
QuickBooks has always been one of the finest accounting software. But the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be denied. One such commonly encountered error is QuickBooks error code 1618. This error is often seen when you tries to install QuickBooks desktop on the system. This error is also seen during the installation or updating the programs. Also it comes up with error message i.e. “There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime library”. Well, many users might find this error to be time consuming and annoying. Considering that, we have come up with this post, where we will be discussing about the signs, causes, and fixes of this error in depth. So, make sure that you stay tuned with the error.
Moreover, you can contact our support team, in case you need any technical assistance to resolve this error from the root. Feel free to give us a call at our QuickBooks error support team will be there to assist you.
Related articles: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error H202?
Insight into QuickBooks error 1618
While installing QuickBooks or trying to update the software, an error message flashes on the screen stating:
“Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).
Error 1618. “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.”
This error is also seen when there are more than one windows installer instances running at the same time and also blocking the installation process. It should be noted that the windows installer is the basic system requirement for installing the program. It is also very important for us to install, update, uninstall, and repair the system application. Later in this post, you will explore the symptoms and causes of this QuickBooks error code 1618.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks error 1618
You can identify the QuickBooks error code 1618 by considering the following signs and symptoms:
- The error code 1618 appears on the screen along with the QuickBooks runtime library error message.
- QuickBooks software continues to freeze.
- Windows start functioning sluggishly.
- Also, the system stops functioning for the time when the error appears.
Causes of QuickBooks error 1618
There can be multiple causes of error 1618, a few of the most common ones are enumerated below:
- QuickBooks software installation is corrupted or the process is incomplete.
- Or the corruption in the windows registry.
- QB related files or windows system files are infected due to virus or malware.
- If the QuickBooks related program file got deleted mistakenly by any malicious program.
Fixation methods of QuickBooks error code 1618
Now that you are aware of the causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618: Another program is being updated, it is the right time to explore the fixation methods. We have jotted down some of the best solutions that you can implement and get rid of the issue with much ease. So, let us have a look:
Method 1: Updating the version of windows installer
You can update the windows installer in order to fix this issue. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The very first step is to log in as System Admin.
- And then look for the windows installer is updated.
- The next step is to move to My Computer.
- And open C:\WINDOWS\system32 and then right click the exe file.
- Moving ahead, you need to choose the properties and the version.
- After that, you will find all the information related to the windows installer’s version.
- And update the software if updates are available.
- Lastly, reboot the system.
Method 2: Creating a backup for the windows registry
Another method is to create a backup for the windows registry. The steps to be followed are listed below:
- The initial step is to hit a click on the Start tab from the Windows taskbar.
- And then, open Run command with Windows + R keys.
- The next step is to type in regedit and then click OK button.
- Moving ahead, visit my computer and open the file menu and export option.
- Also, select all option in export range.
- Once done with that, save the created registry backup on the desktop and then delete the keys.
- It should be noted that the deletion of the keys will also delete all the sub keys.
Method 3: Close MSIEXEC.EXE running in the background
If the above method failed for you, then you need to close MSIEXEC.EXE running in the background. The steps involved in this are listed below:
- For this, open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt +Delete keys.
- And then, choose the processes tab and sort the processes in alphabetical order.
- After that select MSIEXEC.EXE and then hit a click on End process option.
- The last step in this process is to close the task manager window and try to install QuickBooks desktop.
Method 4: Installing and run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
Installing and running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool also works for resolving such an issue. This tool is designed and developed in a way to fix install errors. The steps to be followed here are as follows:
- First step is to close all open applications, also close QuickBooks desktop.
- And then download QuickBooks tool hub file and store it in an easily accessible location.
- The next step is to open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and install it.
- Ensure that you agree to the terms and conditions.
- And once the installation is complete, double click the icon.
- Now, move to the Tool hub and then opt for installation issues.
- And lastly, run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and let it repair the error.
Method 5: Reinstalling the Microsoft runtime libraries via the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
This is the last method one can try to fix the issue. It is recommended to contact a windows expert to carry out this process, as it might require knowledge of Windows operating system.
- Download the MS Visual C++ redistributable package.
- Select the package Microsoft visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package (x86) for 32-bit computer.
- After that choose the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package(x64) for 64-bit system.
- Next, save the downloaded package on an easily accessible location.
- After that rename the package as vcredist_X86.exe or vcredist_X64.exe
- And also carry out the on-screen prompts.
- Now, restart the system and reinstall QuickBooks.
See Also: How to create an Invoice in QuickBooks?
To wrap up!
It is expected that the above steps would be enough to fix the QuickBooks error 1618. We have tried to cope up with all possible solutions that you can implement without any technical assistance to tackle this error.
However, in case the error continues to trouble you, it is recommended to consult our QuickBooks desktop support team by dialing 1-800-761-1787. Our experts will be there to assist you and fix the error on your behalf.
You might also see: