Learn the process to customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:
QuickBooks offers many pre created reports for the user’s convenience, and along with that it allows the users to create their own customized and tailored reports, which can also be mailed. The feature of customizing reports is also present in QuickBooks desktop for Mac. This feature helps the user in having the data and style as per their choices. If you are interested in learning the process to customize reports in QuickBooks desktop for Mac, here is a step by step guide for you people. So, make sure that you stay tuned to the article till the end and unleash the process to customize reports in QuickBooks desktop for Mac. However, if you need any sort of technical assistance, then you can feel free to contact our QuickBooks support team at any point of time.
You might also like: How to setup multi-user network in QuickBooks desktop?
Basic steps to customize reports in QuickBooks desktop
The basic steps to customize reports in QuickBooks desktop for Mac are:
- The very initial step is to create a report
- And then, select the customize option on the report window
- After that, from the customize window, select the tab that you wish to update and you are done
As we said before, this is the most basic procedure, for detailed one continue reading.
How to customize report options?
The user will have a couple of fields and options, and it all depends upon the type of report the user is customizing. In case the user wants these options to appear every time the report is opened up, the below mentioned steps could be followed:
- The user is supposed to first select the QuickBooks software and then go for the preferences option
- Once done with that, navigate to the reports section and then choose display customize report window automatically.
Now that you know the steps to customize report options, it is important to know what are report options that would be there for you. Let us check out:
- Advanced: The user can control more advanced layout options, especially in case the user bases the report on the fiscal or calendar year
- Columns (list): Default settings for this is total only. Whereas the report displays a single column for totals, and there are no columns for subtotals. In order to display the report with separate columns for each month within the specified date range, the user can select the month from the list
- Columns (checklist): The user needs to select the columns that he/she wishes to include in the report. Column headings with the check mark are to be included. And also, in order to un-select a column, select it again.
- Customer: Job: The user is supposed to select the name he/she wishes to pick from the customer: job list
- Days Past due: The users will have to limit a collections report, in order to ensure that it only shows invoices that are past due by at least a specific number of days. For this, you need to enter the number of days past due that you want QuickBooks to use as a basis for the report.
- Days per aging period? And age through how many days: This might be confusing, but the user needs to restrict the transactions included in the report according to their aging status. For this, type the period of time for each column to represent under the days per aging period field.
And in the Age through how many days field, make sure to type in the number days you need for the breakdown of aging intervals
- Delay receipts how many days: The user is supposed to make a more conservative and realistic cash flow forecast by slowing down receipts. Also, you can account for delays in funds availability that result from the bank holds on deposits. In case you leave this field set to 0, then the cash flow forecast includes all receipts where the due date falls within the date range for the report
- Filters: The user should restrict the report to transactions that meet certain criteria
- Formats: Also, determine the way in which the report breaks down the amounts for time worked.
- Include: This field basically affects the subtotal heading in transaction detail reports. When the user subtotals a transaction detail report, it normally includes a subtotal heading, only if there are transactions for the heading.
- Open balance/aging: The user is supposed to understand the process to calculate a customer’s open balance or an aging report. The user can select the:
- Current: Shows the customer’s open balance as of today. All the payments the user will get today will be reflected in the open balance that the report shows
- As of report date: Showing the customer’s open balance as of the ending date of the report.
- Other columns: The user is recommended to opt for the columns to be included in the report.
- Report basis: Select if you want the report to be based on an accrual or cash basis. For accrual basis, QuickBooks counts income as of the invoice date and expenses as of the bill date. Whereas for the cash basis report, the income is counted as of the date the payment was received, and expended as of the date the bill is paid
- Report dates: The user needs to select a new date range from the list. Also, one can go for typing a beginning date for the range in the from field and an ending date in the to field
- Reporting periods: Selecting a time interval from the list is recommended for the report.
- Row Axis: Customizing the row heading the user desires for report and select it from the list
- Show actuals, difference, and % of budget: It is needed to select whether the report should portray the actual amounts in addition to budgeted amounts. Selecting show actuals, allows the user to either select either or both of the fields i.e. difference and %
- Sort by: The user is supposed to change how QuickBooks usually sorts the transactions on a report. The transaction appears in the date order, but they can be altered to the amount and document number order
- Total by: It is important to change the ways QuickBooks groups and subtotals the individual transaction on the report
Process to filter the report data
It should be noted while creating a report, it might have various unnecessary data. This is where the need to using filters arise, as it allows the user to customize the report to ensure that you see the data needed and not the useless one.
How to add report filter?
Adding report filter doesn’t involve any rocket science, all it needs is a couple of steps namely:
- At the initial stage, the user should select customize option from the report window
- And then go for the filters tab
- Followed by selecting the checkbox next to the filter he/she wishes to use
- And then scroll or use the search field for finding the specific filters
- For clearing all the filters the user needs to select the clear all option
Grouping and sub-totaling data
Pick the column heading for subtotals
- A couple of reports allow the users to subtotal the amounts in columns for time periods or other possible factors. This can be done by
- Initially, create a report
- And then go for the customize option
- Followed by selecting the filters tab
- And also selecting an item from the columns list. The user can also select the show all option, in case the column he/she is searching is not available.
After this, the column will automatically appear on the P&L Detail report
Select the row headings for groups
- The user can customize the report and change the row headings as desired. This can be done by:
- Selecting reports and then selecting custom summary report is recommended
- After that, the user will have to navigate to the customize option
- Followed by selecting the filters tab
- And selecting the item from the row axis list
Alter the subtotaling of transactions
- The user can easily group and subtotal the data on a transaction detail report by carrying out a couple of steps:
- To begin with, create the transaction detail report
- And then click on customize
- Followed by selecting the filters tab
- And then clicking on the select an item from the total by list
Altering the sort order of transactions
- In case the user doesn’t want the date order within group on a report, he/she can sort the transactions by amount or document number
- All you have to do is to create the transaction detail report
- And select customize
- Followed by selecting totals only on the options tab
- And then to sort the transactions by amount, the user can go for the amount option
- Whereas, for sorting out the transactions by document, the user can choose the num option
Steps to format a Report
In QuickBooks, one can easily format the report and its look and feel. All you have to do is to:
- Firstly, create a report
- And then choose the customize and format options
Selecting fonts and colors
The user also gets the option to customize the fonts and colors, which can be done by:
- This can be easily done by selecting the font & color for drop-down from the format tab. And also selecting the area of the report to be customized
- The user will then have to select the font and color and when done click on save
Selecting the number handling
In the reports, the user can easily customize the way in which the numbers have to be formatted and also the way in which the negative numbers would appear
- Number formats: The user needs to opt for the divide the number by 1000 and if needed include cents or zero amounts on the report
- Negative numbers: In case the user is having negative numbers on the report, he/she can select the method in which they have to be formatted, and also whether they are to be shown in red.
Customizing the header
Header is the text that shows up at the top of the report. QuickBooks includes the company name, title, subtitle and the date automatically. Let us check out header customization options:
- Company: Company stands for the company name that would be displayed on the report
- Title: The title is basically the report title
- Subtitle: Here the subtitle is the report subtitle
- Date: And the date is the date when the report is created
- Show time prepared: This option indicates the time the report was generated
- Show report basis: The user can select whether to go for accrual or cash basis
- Print header on: The last option is to select the pages on which you wish the header to appear
Footer is basically the text that can be seen at the bottom of the report. The user can easily customize this text, by carrying out the steps below:
- Page Footer #: This is the page footer, which means the page number i.e. pg#1
- Extra footer line: In case the user wants another line on the footer, then the user can make use of the extra footer line.
- Print footer on: The user can also select the page on which he/she wants the footer to be, like the first page or on all pages of the report
If you want to alter the alignment of the report, then it can be easily done by selecting the alignment dropdown, and then select the option to align the report. The report info can be set to its standard format or can also be aligned to left, right or center, as per the choice of the users.
Use a format template for your report
To make things easier, the user can opt for a template as a starting point for formatting the report. Here is how you can do this:
- This can be done by simply selecting the format setup drop-down and then click on the report theme
- After that, customize the report theme and then choose Save tab
Process to customize the report sidebar
The report sidebar allows easy access to all the report customization option in a single window. With the help of this sidebar, the user can alter the report and see the effects instantly. For opening or closing the panel, the user is supposed to opt for the customize option and also select the report settings. It should be noted that the QuickBooks software will remember the settings for each type of report created by the user.
We hope that we were successful in providing you all possible information related to customizing reports in QuickBooks desktop for Mac. However, if you are still confused or if you found the procedure to be too technical for you, then do not think much in contacting our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team.
They will surely guide the way through the process and also will assist you in the entire journey of customizing reports in QuickBooks desktop for Mac. Give us a call at 1-888-291-2294, and leave the rest on our professionals.
Other helpful articles: